Laplace transform of a piecewise function

In summary, the Laplace transform of the given function f(t) = e^t when 0≤t<1 and 0 when t≥1 can be split into two integrals, one from 0 to 1 and the other from 1 to infinity. The integral from 1 to infinity becomes 0 due to the function being 0 in that range. The remaining integral can be simplified to ∫e^(t(1-s))dt, which can be integrated using the usual techniques.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

f(t) = e^t when 0≤t<1
and 0 when t≥1

Homework Equations

Laplace transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the Laplace integral becomesfrom 0 to 1 ∫e^(st^2)dt + 0

how do I integrate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clarification:

Laplace transform or Lagrange Transform...?

Likes Feodalherren
My bad, Laplace :).

Alright, let's do this:

From 0 to 1 we have one function, and from 1 onward we have another. Split up our integral as so:

$$\int_0^1 e^{-st} e^{t}dt + \int_{1}^{\infty} e^{-st}(0)dt \implies \int_0^1 e^{t(1-s)}dt$$

Likes Feodalherren
Wait a second, doesn't the part that goes from 1 to +infinity get canceled out because the integral becomes

∫ e^(-st) (0) dt = 0

?

Feodalherren said:
Wait a second, doesn't the part that goes from 1 to +infinity get canceled out because the integral becomes

∫ e^(-st) (0) dt = 0

?

Excuse my reading comprehension, I thought it said f(t) = 1. Corrected.

Likes Feodalherren
Ah now I see what I did wrong! DUH! Such a stupid mistake.

Thank you sir!

Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

f(t) = e^t when 0≤t<1
and 0 when t≥1

Homework Equations

Laplace transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the Laplace integral becomesfrom 0 to 1 ∫e^(st^2)dt + 0

how do I integrate this?
How did you get an integrand of est2 ?

Remember, ex ⋅ ey = e(x + y), not exy :wink:

Likes Feodalherren
I was just asking myself the same thing. I think I need to take a break. I've been doing math since 7.30 this morning. It's 1.30 pm now :).

1. What is a Laplace transform of a piecewise function?

A Laplace transform of a piecewise function is a mathematical tool used to transform a piecewise-defined function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is an integral transform that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency.

2. How is the Laplace transform of a piecewise function calculated?

The Laplace transform of a piecewise function is calculated by integrating the function multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable representing the frequency. The integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity.

3. What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms for piecewise functions?

The use of Laplace transforms for piecewise functions allows for easier analysis of the function in the frequency domain. It also simplifies the solving of differential equations and makes it possible to solve otherwise complex problems.

4. What are the limitations of using Laplace transforms for piecewise functions?

One limitation of using Laplace transforms for piecewise functions is that the function must be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. Additionally, the transform may not exist for some functions or may not be unique.

5. How is the Laplace transform of a piecewise function applied in real-world situations?

The Laplace transform of a piecewise function has many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is commonly used in control systems, circuit analysis, and signal processing to model and solve problems involving complex functions and systems with varying inputs and outputs.