Laplace transform of a simple equation (Simple question)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Laplace transform to solve a simple equation with initial conditions, and how the value of s=0 is not considered because it is not a valid solution for the transform. The definition of X(s) and its analytic continuation is also mentioned.
LagrangeEuler
Lets consider very simple equation ##x''(t)=0## for ##x(0)=0##, ##x'(0)=0##. By employing Laplace transform I will get
[tex]s^2X(s)=0[/tex] where ##X(s)## is Laplace transform of ##x(t)##. Why then this is equivalent to
[tex]X(s)=0[/tex]
why we do not consider ##s=0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is x(t)=0. Laplace transform of 0 is also 0.

I know that. I am asking you why we do not consider that for ##s=0##, ##X(s)## can be different from zero?

I do not think our problem is to get value of s to satisfy
[tex]s^2 X(s) = 0 [/tex]
because s is parameter transformed which varies from 0 to infinity in usual.
We should have interest on Laplace transform X(s) and observe that it returns zero for any s.

LagrangeEuler said:
I am asking you why we do not consider that for [itex]s = 0[/itex], [itex]X(s)[/itex] can be different from zero?

The definition [tex]
X(s) \equiv \int_0^\infty x(t)e^{-st}\,dt[/tex] is not valid for every [itex]s \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] (in general it's only valid for [itex]s[/itex] with sufficiently large and positive real part). Where that definition is not valid, we must define [itex]X(s)[/itex] by analytic continuation from the domain where it is valid. In this case, the equation [itex]s^2X(s) = 0[/itex] obtained from integrating [itex]x''(t)e^{-st}[/itex] is only valid for [itex]\operatorname{Re}(s) > 0[/itex]. The unique analytic extension of [itex]X[/itex] to [itex]\operatorname{Re}(s) \leq 0[/itex] then gives [itex]X(s) \equiv 0[/itex] everywhere.

1. What is the Laplace transform of a simple equation?

The Laplace transform of a simple equation is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform calculated?

The Laplace transform is calculated by taking the integral of a function multiplied by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex variable representing frequency. The result is a function in the frequency domain.

3. What is the purpose of using the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is used to simplify the analysis of systems described by differential equations. It allows for the conversion of a complex differential equation into a simpler algebraic equation, making it easier to solve and analyze.

4. What types of equations can be transformed using the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform can be applied to linear, time-invariant equations. This includes ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and integral equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform?

While the Laplace transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to equations with a finite number of discontinuities, and it may not be suitable for analyzing systems with highly oscillatory behavior.