Laplace Transform of t: Using Integration by Parts

In summary, the goal was to find the Laplace transforms of a function by using the definition in (1). The Attempt at a Solution seems easy, but the directions are not very clear. I found it difficult to integrate by parts and then to take the limit. I got stuck on the last line where I dropped the minus sign in the equation for ##e^{-st}. I solved it by using L'Hopitals and ended up with ##\frac{1}{s^{2}}##.
iRaid

Homework Statement

Apply the definition in (1) to find directly the Laplace transforms of the functions described (by formula or graph).
1) f(t)=t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems pretty easy... Question is, I don't understand the directions exactly.. Am I allowed to use the tables or do I have to solve the transform? Anyway this is how I solved, but i got stuck..
$$\mathcal{L}(f(t))=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)dt=\int_0^{\infty}te^{-st}dt$$
Then using an integration by parts, u=t and dv=e-stdt, I get:
$$\frac{-te^{st}}{s}\bigg|_0^{\infty}-\int_0^{\infty}\frac{-e^{st}}{s}dt=\left(\frac{-te^{st}}{s}-\frac{e^{s}t^{s}}{s^{2}}\right)\bigg|_0^{\infty}$$
Is that right up to there and what do I do after?

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

Apply the definition in (1) to find directly the Laplace transforms of the functions described (by formula or graph).
1) f(t)=t

Homework Equations

Seems pretty easy... Question is, I don't understand the directions exactly.. Am I allowed to use the tables or do I have to solve the transform? Anyway this is how I solved, but i got stuck..
$$\frac{-te^{st}}{s}\bigg|_0^{\infty}-\int_0^{\infty}\frac{-e^{st}}{s}dt=\left(\frac{-te^{st}}{s}-\frac{e^{s}t^{s}}{s^{2}}\right)\bigg|_0^{\infty}$$

Yes, you solve it by integrating by parts and you are starting with right parts. But it goes badly after that. How did ##e^{-st}## turn into ##e^{st}##? And I have no idea how you got some of the other stuff.

Yes I messed up, it should be u= t, du=dt; ##dv=e^{-st}dt##, ##v=\frac{-e^-st}{s}## Which leads to:
$$\frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\int\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}dt=\frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\frac{e^{-st}}{s^{2}}$$

Right?

iRaid said:

Homework Statement

1) f(t)=t

Homework Equations

$$\frac{-te^{st}}{s}\bigg|_0^{\infty}-\int_0^{\infty}\frac{-e^{st}}{s}dt=\left(\frac{-te^{st}}{s}-\color{red}{\frac{e^{s}t^{s}}{s^{2}}}\right)\bigg|_0^{\infty}$$

On your last line you have dropped the minus sign in the ##e^{-st}##. And check that antiderivative in red.

[Edit] Took too long to type it, others beat me to it.

Likes 1 person
iRaid said:
Yes I messed up, it should be u= t, du=dt; ##dv=e^{-st}dt##, ##v=\frac{-e^-st}{s}## Which leads to:
$$\frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\int\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}dt=\frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\frac{e^{-st}}{s^{2}}$$

Right?

That looks much better. Now you evaluate it between 0 and infinity. It's going to involve thinking about limits. Take s>0.

Dick said:
That looks much better. Now you evaluate it between 0 and infinity. It's going to involve thinking about limits. Take s>0.

$$\lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\frac{e^{-st}}{s^{2}}$$
It seems like both would go to 0... Maybe I'm not seeing something correctly

iRaid said:
$$\lim_{t \to \infty} \frac{-te^{-st}}{s}-\frac{e^{-st}}{s^{2}}$$
It seems like both would go to 0... Maybe I'm not seeing something correctly

Yes, they both go to 0. That ##te^{-st}## goes to zero might take a little justification, but if you know why, that's fine. Now you have to take the limit as t->0 and take the difference.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Yes, they both go to 0. That ##te^{-st}## goes to zero might take a little justification, but if you know why, that's fine. Now you have to take the limit as t->0 and take the difference.
##te^{-st}## can be written as ##\frac{t}{e^{st}}## and then you can use L'Hopitals since you get ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## and end up with ##\frac{1}{se^{st}}=0##

AHHH now I see, I forgot you have to evaluate at 0 also...
So the first fraction goes to 0 and the second one will be e-s(0)=1 so you end up with: ##\frac{1}{s^{2}}##

Thanks for the help!

Related to Laplace Transform of t: Using Integration by Parts

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze systems with complex inputs and outputs.

2. How does a Laplace Transform work?

The Laplace Transform is calculated by integrating a function over the entire range of time, multiplied by a decaying exponential function. This transforms the function from a time-based representation to a frequency-based representation.

3. What are the benefits of using Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform allows for the simplification of complex differential equations into algebraic equations, making it easier to solve and analyze systems. It also provides insight into the frequency response of a system, which can help in designing and optimizing systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform?

One limitation of Laplace Transform is that it only works for functions with finite and well-behaved derivatives. It also requires the use of complex numbers, which may be challenging for some individuals to understand and work with.

5. How is Laplace Transform used in real life applications?

Laplace Transform is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as electronic circuit analysis, control systems, signal processing, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in image and speech recognition, as well as in the study of electrical networks and vibrations.