Large flock of birds seems to fly into ground, many dead and injured

• Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground
In summary, there are a few possible explanations for what might have happened to a flock of birds that crashed into the ground. It could have been due to a toxic gas cloud, scared into an predator avoidance response, or a miscalculation.
Biology news on Phys.org
So are there any ideas what happened? Flocks of birds and schools of fish often behave like this, but you would think that birds would have a clue where the ground was...

Likes 256bits
berkeman said:
schools of fish
I've only heard of this with whales/dolphins.

It was a very dense flock of birds.
The article had 2 possible explanations:
toxic cloud or something like that
or scared (as a flock, which moves together due to their flock coordinating instincts) by a predator into a predator avoidance response.
The second option would be somewhat like moths diving toward the ground when they hear bat sonar. When a moving car emits bat-like frequencies, some moths will dive into the front of a car due to an unfortunately triggered reflex.

Likes Spinnor
I wonder if their density becomes too great and they happen to be descending that the lift of the lower ones significantly drops? Like if a helicopter flew directly over another helicopter wouldn't the lower one loose lift?

Flock videos no crashing,

Likes BillTre
There are some fun bird flock effects in some shows.
I think during one of the Rome shows (HBO I think) a flock above the horizon formed a skull.
Kind of like The Mummy doing shapes in sand.

berkeman said:
So are there any ideas what happened? Flocks of birds and schools of fish often behave like this, but you would think that birds would have a clue where the ground was...
I think it just looks as if they lost their way on follow the leader ( there isn't one ) en mass, and some of them hit hard and stunned. A miscalculation like when you stub your tow, or stumble on a crack on the sidewalk.
I wouldn't expect all flocking to be completely perfect all the time.
Toxic gas would have left a lot more on the ground for a lot longer.
A predator from above would have seen them all disperse radially in an expansion and regroup after rather than driving them downwards.

Another possibility I've heard raised is a downdraft/microburst. There is definitely air movement ahead of the birds hitting (puff of dust in the street, bush in the left foreground), but I can't be sure if the mass of air is moving them or if they are moving it. I also didn't think downdrafts could be quite this localized, so I'm leaning against this explanation. Just putting it out there.

Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre

1. What could cause a large flock of birds to fly into the ground?

There are several possible causes for this behavior. One possibility is that the birds were startled or spooked by a predator, loud noise, or other disturbance. Another possibility is that the birds were disoriented by weather conditions such as fog or strong winds. Additionally, the birds could have been following a leader who made a mistake in navigation, leading the whole flock into danger.

2. Why do so many birds end up dead or injured after flying into the ground?

When a large number of birds fly into the ground, there is a high risk of collisions and injuries due to the sheer number of birds. Additionally, birds may collide with obstacles or structures on the ground, causing further injuries. The impact of a bird hitting the ground or an object at high speeds can be fatal or result in serious injuries.

3. Is this behavior common among birds?

Birds flying into the ground is not a common behavior, but it can occur in certain situations. Some species of birds, such as starlings, are known for forming large flocks that can exhibit this behavior. However, it is not a natural or normal behavior for birds to fly into the ground in large numbers.

4. What can be done to prevent this from happening?

Preventing birds from flying into the ground can be challenging, as it often depends on the specific cause of the behavior. In some cases, measures can be taken to reduce potential disturbances, such as avoiding loud noises or keeping predators away from the area. Additionally, structures or obstacles that may pose a risk to birds can be modified or removed. However, it is important to note that preventing this behavior entirely may not always be possible.

5. Could this event be a sign of a larger issue or environmental problem?

In some cases, a large flock of birds flying into the ground could be an indication of a larger issue or environmental problem. For example, if the birds were disoriented due to fog or other weather conditions, it could be a sign of changing climate patterns. Similarly, if the birds were spooked by a loud noise, it could indicate that they are becoming more sensitive to human activity in their environment. It is important to investigate the cause of the event and consider potential underlying issues that may need to be addressed.