Latex commands get wiped out when editing

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the new software where editing a previous post while someone else replies to a thread causes Latex to become garbled and removed. This issue has occurred multiple times and the group is trying to find a solution. They have tested different scenarios and found that the issue consistently happens when saving the post. They also discuss a potential fix for the problem and the strange behavior of the software when rendering and saving Latex equations.
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello,
I've encountered a problem with the new software in that if I am editing a previous post when someone else replies to a thread, any Latex that I have in that post winds up getting garbled and the Latex removed. This has happened to me perhaps as often as half a dozen times or more. Does anyone else have this problem?
@Greg Bernhardt Maybe there is a simple fix for this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
The test was successful. You wiped out my Latex.
Did you resave the post or did that update automatically?

Charles Link said:
It updated right away.
Why aren't we seeing all latex get wiped out after a new reply?

I still had to save it, but it wiped out my Latex...

Before I saved it, it converted it to the correct equations, but no more latex was present..

Charles Link said:
I still had to save it, but it wiped out my Latex...
So you're in your editor? It removes the equation tags?

Yes. Why don't you write some Latex and edit it, and I will reply...

I didn't even reply=I just clicked on the notification

yeah there is something goofy going on, it ends up rendering in the editor which is weird and then on save, it wipes the tags, i'll look into this

Likes Charles Link
This one looks like it might need a little work. At least it is consistent, and not intermittent...

Likes berkeman

What causes Latex commands to get wiped out when editing?

One common cause is using the wrong text editor. Some text editors, such as Microsoft Word, do not support Latex commands and will automatically remove them when editing a Latex document.

How can I prevent Latex commands from getting wiped out when editing?

The best way to prevent this is to use a text editor specifically designed for Latex, such as Texmaker or TeXstudio. These editors will recognize and preserve Latex commands while editing.

Can I recover my Latex commands if they have been wiped out?

Unfortunately, once Latex commands have been removed, they cannot be recovered. It is important to always make backups of your Latex documents before editing to prevent any potential loss of data.

Why do some Latex commands get wiped out while others remain intact?

Some Latex commands may be more complex and require specific formatting or syntax, which can cause them to be removed if the text editor does not recognize them. Simple commands, such as \textit{} for italics, are more likely to remain intact.

Are there any alternatives to using Latex commands for formatting?

Yes, there are alternatives such as using a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, such as Lyx, or using a Markdown language, which allows for simpler formatting without the use of commands. However, these may not offer the same level of customization and precision as Latex commands.