What is the baseline height when using Safari for latex formatting on an iPad?

Frabjous
Gold Member
Using safari on an ipad \sqrt{ab} has a slight vertical offset between a and b.
##\sqrt{ab}##
Is it me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me...

1693704742595.png

Safari on an iPad here and I see that slight vertical offset. @berkeman what device/browser did you take your screenshot (which does not have this oddity) on?

I also see it with Firefox on iPhone
1693717135922.png

I see the same offset in the first post in this thread, in Safari on a 2019 iMac, under the latest version of MacOS (16.5.1).

Looks fine in Firefox on Android.

Nugatory said:
@berkeman what device/browser did you take your screenshot (which does not have this oddity) on?
Firefox on Win10 laptop.

So this seems as if this may be an apple environment thing?

Maybe a font issue.

Nugatory said:
So this seems as if this may be an apple environment thing?
It's a WebKit thing. Safari on all platforms and all browsers on iOS devices render using WebKit.

Let's see what happens if there are more than two letters: ##\sqrt{abcde}##

A rollercoaster! 😆

Does the baseline height really alternate, or is it associated with specific letters? ##\sqrt{abdce}##

Looks like the latter. Let's try the entire alphabet: ##\sqrt{abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz}##

Likes vela

1. What is LaTeX format and why is it used?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating professional documents with complex mathematical equations, technical figures, and other specialized formatting. It is commonly used in academia and scientific research due to its ability to produce high-quality and consistent documents.

2. How do I enable LaTeX format in Safari?

To enable LaTeX format in Safari, you will need to install the MathJax extension. This can be done by going to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, and then clicking "Get Extensions" and searching for MathJax. Once installed, you may need to refresh your browser for the changes to take effect.

3. Can I use LaTeX format on any website in Safari?

No, not all websites support LaTeX format. It depends on whether the website has implemented MathJax or another LaTeX rendering engine. You can check by right-clicking on the page and selecting "View Page Source" to see if the website uses LaTeX code for equations and symbols.

4. Are there any alternatives to using LaTeX format in Safari?

Yes, there are other extensions and plugins available for Safari that allow for mathematical typesetting, such as KaTex and MathType. However, MathJax is the most commonly used and widely supported option for LaTeX in Safari.

5. Can I create my own LaTeX documents in Safari?

No, Safari does not have a built-in LaTeX editor or compiler. You will need to use a separate program or online tool, such as Overleaf or TeXworks, to create and compile your LaTeX documents. Safari can only display and render existing LaTeX code on websites that support it.