How Can I Position a Paragraph at the Bottom of a Page in LaTex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DieCommie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about formatting with LaTex and specifically the placement of an abstract on the cover page. The person has tried using footnote commands, but found it to be numbered and have funny formatting. They are looking for a way to have the abstract automatically appear on the bottom of the page without using footnotes. A potential solution suggested by the other person is using \vfill.
DieCommie
Hello,

I have a simple question on formatting with LaTex. I use the MiKTeX 2.6 package and write the code in TeXnicCenter.

What I want is for a paragraph to be on the bottom of the page. My teacher wants the abstract on the cover page. So I have my name and the experiment name on the top and then I want my abstract paragraph to be on the bottom with a bunch of space in between the title and abstract. I don't want the abstract to wrap to the second page.

I have tried using footnote commands, but then it gets numbered and has funny formatting. There should be a way to do this without footnote.

Thx for any help you have!

(I hope I put this in the right forum...)

Physics news on Phys.org
DieCommie said:
Hello,

I have a simple question on formatting with LaTex. I use the MiKTeX 2.6 package and write the code in TeXnicCenter.

What I want is for a paragraph to be on the bottom of the page. My teacher wants the abstract on the cover page. So I have my name and the experiment name on the top and then I want my abstract paragraph to be on the bottom with a bunch of space in between the title and abstract. I don't want the abstract to wrap to the second page.

I have tried using footnote commands, but then it gets numbered and has funny formatting. There should be a way to do this without footnote.

Thx for any help you have!

(I hope I put this in the right forum...)

I use the same setup as you (MikTeX and TeXnicCenter)
I use the amsstex packages. I am using the "article" class.

Here is something that seems to work: just before the \begin{abstract} line I put

\vspace*{1truecm}

If you change the 1 for another number you are inserting more vertical space.

Thx for the reply,

I was hoping there was a more slick way to do it automatically instead of manually finding a number the proper vertical space. Otherwise, I will do that...

What does \begin{abstract} do? I discovered that while goggling today, but it didnt seem to have an effect in my paper.

Thx again

you may be able to use \vfill

Stuff
\vfill
more stuff

1. What is LaTex formatting?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating documents with high-quality mathematical and scientific equations, tables, and figures. It is commonly used in academic and scientific fields for its ability to produce precise and professional-looking documents.

2. How do I get started with LaTex formatting?

To start using LaTex, you will need to download and install a LaTex distribution such as MiKTeX or TeX Live. You will also need a text editor specifically designed for LaTex, such as TeXworks or TeXstudio.

3. What are the basic formatting commands in LaTex?

Some common formatting commands in LaTex include \textbf{bold}, \textit{italic}, \underline{underline}, and \emph{emphasis}. These commands can be used to format text in different ways, such as making it bold or italicized.

4. How do I insert equations and mathematical symbols in LaTex?

LaTex provides a wide range of commands for inserting equations and mathematical symbols. Some commonly used commands include \frac{numerator}{denominator} for fractions, ^{superscript} for exponents, and _{subscript} for subscripts. You can also use the \sum or \prod commands for summation and product symbols, respectively.

5. Can I add images and tables in my LaTex document?

Yes, you can add images and tables in your LaTex document using the \includegraphics and \begin{tabular} commands, respectively. You can also use the \caption and \label commands to add captions and labels to your images and tables for easy referencing.