Launching a Probe to the Sun: Aim Against Earth's Velocity?

In summary, scientists attempting to land a probe on the Sun would aim it in the direction of Earth's orbital velocity, in order to counteract Earth's rotation.
Batracho
Got this problem on a standardized test
Suppose scientists wanted to land a probe ON the Sun.
The probe is being launched from the Earth.

What direction should they aim launch the probe if they are launching it from the Earth?
1) Directly towards the sun
2) Directly away from the Sun — obv wrong
3) In the direction of Earth's velocity
4) In the opposite direction to Earth's velocity

My thoughts.
While Sun is certainly attracting the probe gravitationally, probe should still keep following the Earth's velocity, so it shouldn't land directly on the Sun, but rather sway off it, following direction of Earth's rotation. So, I chose 4), to, presumably, counteract Earth's rotation, letting solar gravity pull the probe directly towards it.

Please, please, explain me the proper thought process.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Batracho,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :)

Batracho said:
Got this problem on a standardized test
Suppose scientists wanted to land a probe ON the Sun.
The probe is being launched from the Earth.

What direction should they aim launch the probe if they are launching it from the Earth?
1) Directly towards the sun
2) Directly away from the Sun — obv wrong
3) In the direction of Earth's velocity
4) In the opposite direction to Earth's velocity

My thoughts.
While Sun is certainly attracting the probe gravitationally, probe should still keep following the Earth's velocity, so it shouldn't land directly on the Sun, but rather sway off it, following direction of Earth's rotation. So, I chose 4), to, presumably, counteract Earth's rotation, letting solar gravity pull the probe directly towards it.

Please, please, explain me the proper thought process.
Thanks.

Before I state whether I think your chosen answer was right or wrong, there's something about your explanation that might need rewording.

You mentioned the Earth's "rotation." But maybe you chose the wrong wording in your explanation, and you meant revolution. I don't think the Earth's rotation has anything significant to do with this. [Edit: Well, maybe a little bit. But nothing of great significance is my point.]

On the other hand, the Earth's revolution around the Sun is of particular importance.

I interpret choice 4) as being, "In the opposite direction of Earth's orbital velocity. (As in the opposite direction of Earth's velocity relative to the Sun.)"

Is that what you meant?

Last edited:
Yes, I think your correction is valid.
I meant Earth's revolution around the sun, not its rotation around its own axis.
And yes, I fully agree with your interpretation of 4)

(4) is right.

Well, right in the sense of the problem statement. We do not have the rocket technology for such a course. What you would really do is a much more complicated path, using the planets to change the course multiple times (probably including a fly-by at Jupiter).
Hitting the sun is harder than leaving the solar system.

Batracho said:
Yes, I think your correction is valid.
I meant Earth's revolution around the sun, not its rotation around its own axis.
And yes, I fully agree with your interpretation of 4)

Then yes, your choice is correct. :)

The reason Earth orbits the Sun in a roughly circular orbit is because of its orbital velocity is such that the Earth's "centrifugal" force (around the Sun) balances that of the Sun's gravity (or if you don't like the concept of "centrifugal" force, you can look at it as the Sun's gravity provides the balancing centripetal force for a roughly circular orbit, given the Earth's velocity and distance; either way). If you were to launch a probe in the opposite direction of the Earth's orbital velocity it would obtain a more eccentric (i.e., more "elliptical") orbit around the Sun than the Earth, with a lower periapsis (closer to the Sun). In the special case where the probe's velocity with respect to Earth was equal and opposite that of the Earth's orbital velocity, then the probe's velocity would be 0 with respect to the Sun; and in that case the probe would fall directly toward the Sun.

So yes, the correct answer is 4).

[Edit: And what mfb said. :)]

Last edited:
mfb said:
(4) is right.

Well, right in the sense of the problem statement. We do not have the rocket technology for such a course. What you would really do is a much more complicated path, using the planets to change the course multiple times (probably including a fly-by at Jupiter).
Hitting the sun is harder than leaving the solar system.

Yes!
I had a hunch — I googled this problem and got a feeling that the rocket tech needed to fully counteract Earth's revolution doesn't exist, and they were mentioning Jupiter fly bys for a gravitational tug.

1. How is it possible to launch a probe towards the Sun when Earth is moving away from it?

Launching a probe towards the Sun while Earth is moving away from it is possible due to the concept of relative velocity. Earth's movement away from the Sun is taken into account when calculating the trajectory of the probe. Additionally, the probe is launched in the opposite direction of Earth's velocity, cancelling out its speed and allowing it to travel towards the Sun.

2. What challenges are faced when launching a probe towards the Sun?

One of the main challenges when launching a probe towards the Sun is the intense heat and radiation it will encounter. The probe must be equipped with special materials and shielding to withstand these extreme conditions. Additionally, the probe must be able to withstand the gravitational pull of the Sun, which increases as it gets closer to it.

3. How is the trajectory of the probe calculated to ensure it reaches the Sun?

The trajectory of the probe is calculated using complex mathematical equations that take into account the position and velocity of Earth, as well as the gravitational pull of the Sun. Scientists use computer simulations and advanced calculations to determine the best trajectory for the probe to reach its destination.

4. How long does it take for a probe to reach the Sun?

The time it takes for a probe to reach the Sun depends on its speed and the distance between Earth and the Sun. On average, it takes a probe about 3 months to reach the Sun. However, this can vary depending on the specific trajectory and speed of the probe.

5. What information can be gathered from a probe sent to the Sun?

A probe sent to the Sun can gather valuable information about the Sun's atmosphere, magnetic fields, and solar winds. It can also help us better understand the formation and evolution of the Sun, as well as its impact on Earth's climate and environment. Additionally, the data collected by the probe can aid in the development of better space weather forecasting models.