Laurent series around infinity

In summary, the Laurent series at infinity point for \frac{1}{(z^{2}+1)^{2}} is \displaystyle \sum _{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{z^{2n+4}}, which is obtained by first calculating the series around z_{0}=0 and then making the substitution z\to 1/w and expanding the series about w=0. This series is valid for all z \in \mathbb{C} / | z | > 1.
SqueeSpleen
Laurent series at infinity point

I already calculated it, but my work was too long, I really wish to find a shorter route.
Calculate the Laurent series of [itex]\frac{1}{(z^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex] around [itex]z_{0} = 0[/itex]
First, I used simple fractions and I got:
[itex]\frac{1}{(z^{2}+1)^{2}}=\frac{-i}{4} \frac{1}{z-i} + \frac{i}{4} \frac{1}{z+i} + \frac{-1}{4} \frac{1}{(z-i)^{2}} + \frac{-1}{4} \frac{1}{(z+i)^{2}}[/itex]
Then I did:
[itex]\frac{1}{z-i}=\frac{1}{-i(1+iz)}= i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-iz)^{n}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{z+i}=\frac{1}{i(1-iz)}= -i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (iz)^{n}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{(z-i)^{2}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial z} ( - \frac{1}{z-i} )[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{(z+i)^{2}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial z} ( - \frac{1}{z+i} )[/itex]
Then we got:
[itex]\frac{1}{(z-i)^{2}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial z}( -i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-iz)^{n} ) = -i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-i) (-iz)^{n}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{(z+i)^{2}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial z}( i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (iz)^{n} ) = i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (i) (iz)^{n}[/itex]
Then we have
[itex]\frac{1}{4} (-i i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-iz)^{n} + i(-i) \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (iz)^{n} + (-1) (-i) \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-i) (-iz)^{n} + (-1) i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (i) (iz)^{n} =[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{4} (\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-iz)^{n} + \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (iz)^{n} + i \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-i) (-iz)^{n} + (-i) \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (i) (iz)^{n} ) =[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{4} (\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-iz)^{n} + (iz)^{n} + i(n+1) (-i) (-iz)^{n} + (-i) (n+1) (i) (iz)^{n} ) = [/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{4} (\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} ((-iz)^{n} + (iz)^{n}) + (n+1)((-iz)^{n} + (iz)^{n}) )) =[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{4} (\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)((-iz)^{n} + (iz)^{n}))[/itex]
So we have [itex]a_{n}=0[/itex] [itex]n=2k+1[/itex] and if [itex]n=2k[/itex] [itex]a_{n} = (2n+4)/4 = 2k+1[/itex]
This is the Taylor series around [itex]z_{0}=0[/itex]
We want the Laurent series around [itex]z_{0} = \infty[/itex] so we do:
[itex]\frac{1}{(z^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{1}{z^{4}} \frac{1}{(z^{-2}+1)^{2}}[/itex]
We take [itex]w = \frac{1}{z}[/itex] and when [itex]w \to 0[/itex] we have [itex]\frac{1}{z} \to 0[/itex]
As [itex]\frac{1}{z^{4}} \frac{1}{(z^{-2}+1)^{2}} = w^{4} \frac{1}{(w^{2}+1)^{2}}[/itex], the Laurent series of this function is the same we previously calculated with a +4 in the exponent.
We revert the change of variable and we got the series.

[itex]\frac{1}{4} \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+2)((\frac{1}{iz})^{n+4} + (\frac{1}{-iz})^{n+4})[/itex]

Finally, there are a lots of things I did I'm not really sure if were well done, I verified my work with calculator and later with wolframalpha, but I'm not sure what I this is right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's well-done in my opinion. Suppose you could have outright made the substitution [itex]z\to 1/w[/itex] to obtain

[tex]w^4\left(-\frac{1}{2w}\frac{d}{dw} \frac{1}{1+w^2}\right)[/tex]

and just expand the [itex]\frac{1}{1+w^2}[/itex] about zero.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, it's a waaay shorter.
[itex]z = \frac{1}{w} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{(z^{2}+1)^{2}} = \frac{1}{(\frac{1}{w^{2}}+1)^{2}} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{w^{4}} ( 1+w^{2})^{2}} = w^{4} \frac{1}{(w^{2}+1)^{2}} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{d w} (\frac{1}{w^{2}+1}) = \frac{-2w}{(w^{2}+1)^{2}} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{(w^{2}+1)^{2}} = -\frac{1}{2w} \frac{d}{d w} (\frac{1}{w^{2}+1})[/itex]
[itex]w^{4} (-\frac{1}{2w} \frac{d}{d w} (\frac{1}{w^{2}+1})) = (-\frac{w^{3}}{2} \frac{d}{d w} (\frac{1}{w^{2}+1}))[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{1+w^{2}} = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-w^{2})^{n}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{d w} \frac{1}{1+w^{2}} = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-w^{2})^{n} (-2w) \Rightarrow (-\frac{w^{3}}{2} \frac{d}{d w} (\frac{1}{w^{2}+1})) = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-w^{2})^{n} (-2w) (-\frac{w^{3}}{2})=[/itex]
[itex]= \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-w^{2})^{n} (w^{4}) = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-1)^{n} w^{2n+4} = \displaystyle \sum _{n=0}^{\infty} (n+1) (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{z^{2n+4}}[/itex]

Which is valid for all [itex]z \in \mathbb{C} / | z | > 1[/itex] (In the mess I forget to mention it my the previous post). We know it's valid here because it's where the geometric series equality is true.

Last edited:

Related to Laurent series around infinity

1. What is a Laurent series around infinity?

A Laurent series around infinity is a mathematical representation of a function that is expanded into an infinite sum of terms centered at infinity. It is used to describe the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches infinity.

2. How is a Laurent series around infinity different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is expanded around a finite value, while a Laurent series around infinity is expanded around an infinitely large value. Additionally, a Taylor series only contains positive powers of the independent variable, while a Laurent series around infinity can contain both positive and negative powers.

3. What is the significance of the singularities in a Laurent series around infinity?

The singularities in a Laurent series around infinity represent points where the function becomes infinite or undefined. They can provide information about the behavior of the function at infinity and can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

4. How is a Laurent series around infinity used in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a Laurent series around infinity can be used to study the behavior of complex functions near poles or essential singularities. It also allows for the calculation of complex integrals and the evaluation of complex functions at large values.

5. Can a Laurent series around infinity be used for functions with multiple singularities?

Yes, a Laurent series around infinity can be used for functions with multiple singularities. The series can be expanded around each singularity separately, and then the results can be combined to give a complete representation of the function's behavior at infinity.