Lead hazard in Chinese crystals

In summary: H400 - May cause serious aquatic toxicityH410 - May cause long-term aquatic toxicityThe label will have the following hazard pictograms:There will be the following hazard statements:H302+H332 - Harmful if swallowed or if inhaledH350 - May cause cancerH360 - May damage fertility or the unborn childH373 - May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposureH400 - May cause serious aquatic toxicityH410 - May cause long-term aquatic toxicity
hai_tep
I want to use crystals from China for baby jewelry and it turns out that they use lead for the crystals - is there a risk of exposure through the skin to these crystals for babies

Biology news on Phys.org
a link so we can see what they are would help

hai_tep said:
I want to use crystals from China for baby jewelry and it turns out that they use lead for the crystals - is there a risk of exposure through the skin to these crystals for babies
Sorry to be Captain Obvious here, but isn't there an even more dangerous choking hazard from trying to put jewelry on babies?

Likes Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Sorry to be Captain Obvious here, but isn't there an even more dangerous choking hazard from trying to put jewelry on babies?
A baby bracelet on the arm for a baby up to six months old - made of high-quality wire consisting of 7 sizes of silicon-coated metal
There is no reason for it to break

hai_tep said:
A baby bracelet on the arm for a baby up to six months old - made of high-quality wire consisting of 7 sizes of silicon-coated metal
There is no reason for it to break

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against jewelry for babies: https://www.oviahealth.com/guide/100868/can-baby-wear-jewelry/

Likes Vanadium 50
I would play safe and not risk it, even though I searched and found that lead doesn't get absorbed through the skin. But to imagine that a child would not bite or suck something and so ingestion can be ignored is a bit silly.

Likes berkeman
DrJohn said:
I would play safe and not risk it, even though I searched and found that lead doesn't get absorbed through the skin. But to imagine that a child would not bite or suck something and so ingestion can be ignored is a bit silly.
A baby up to six months usually does not reach his wrist to bite or lick
And I would be happy if you would direct me to a source that lead is not dangerous in contact through the skin even for babies

hai_tep said:
And I would be happy if you would direct me to a source that lead is not dangerous in contact through the skin even for babies
Nobody is going to do that.

It's not a matter of being "dangerous", it is that managing risk is about balancing the amount of risk with the possible benefit.

As wearing jewelry has no benefit for a 6 month old baby there is no level of risk that is acceptable.

Don't do it.

Likes Vanadium 50, Nugatory, pinball1970 and 2 others
Lead is a known toxin. PF does not support these kind of requests.
From the MSDS for lead contained in solder for tiny wires as an example:
https://beta-static.fishersci.com/c...-documents/sds/gsc-lead-safety-data-sheet.pdf
Lead
Safety Data Sheet
according to Federal Register / Vol. 77, No. 58 / Monday, March 26, 2012 / Rules and Regulations
Date of issue: 12/15/2014 Revision date: 12/15/2014 Version: 1.1
EN (English US) Page 1
SECTION 1: Identification of the substance/mixture and of the company/undertaking
1.1. Product identifier
Product form : Substance
CAS No : 7439-92-1
Formula : Pb
Synonyms : C.I. 77575, in massive state / elemental lead, in massive state / glover, in massive state
BIG no : 10073
1.2. Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against
Use of the substance/mixture : Solder
Battery: component
Construction
Electrodes
1.3. Details of the supplier of the safety data sheet
GSC International, Inc.
1747 N. Deffer Drive
Nixa,
MO 65714
United States of America
Tel: 417-374-7431
Fax: 417-374-7442
Email: info@gscinternationalinc.com
1.4. Emergency telephone number
Country Organization/Company Address Emergency number
MEXICO Servicio de Informacion Toxicologica Sintox Tintoreto #32 Edif. a Desp. Col.
Nochebuena Mixcoac
México, D.F.
1 800 009 2800
+52 55 5611 2634 /+52 55
5598 9095
UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA
American Association of Poison Control Centers 1-800-222-1222
SECTION 2: Hazards identification
2.1. Classification of the substance or mixture
Classification (GHS-US)
Acute Tox. 4 (Oral) H302
Acute Tox. 4 (Inhalation) H332
Carc. 1B H350
Repr. 1A H360
STOT RE 2 H373
Aquatic Acute 1 H400
Aquatic Chronic 1 H410
Full text of H-phrases: see section 16
2.2. Label elements
GHS-US labeling
Hazard pictograms (GHS-US) :
GHS07 GHS08 GHS09
Signal word (GHS-US) : Danger
Hazard statements (GHS-US) : H302+H332 - Harmful if swallowed or if inhaled
H350 - May cause cancer
H360 - May damage fertility or the unborn child

H373 - May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure

1. What is lead hazard in Chinese crystals?

Lead hazard in Chinese crystals refers to the presence of lead in the material used to make the crystals. Lead is a toxic metal that can be harmful to human health, especially if ingested or inhaled.

2. How does lead get into Chinese crystals?

Lead can get into Chinese crystals during the manufacturing process. It may be used as a coloring agent or as a stabilizer to make the crystals more durable. Lead may also be present in the raw materials used to make the crystals.

3. What are the health risks associated with lead in Chinese crystals?

Exposure to lead in Chinese crystals can lead to a variety of health problems, including developmental delays in children, kidney damage, and nervous system damage. It can also increase the risk of high blood pressure and heart disease in adults.

4. How can I tell if my Chinese crystals contain lead?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to tell if Chinese crystals contain lead just by looking at them. The only way to know for sure is to have them tested by a professional laboratory. However, if the crystals are brightly colored or have a metallic sheen, they may be more likely to contain lead.

5. How can I protect myself from lead hazard in Chinese crystals?

The best way to protect yourself from lead hazard in Chinese crystals is to avoid purchasing or using them. If you already have Chinese crystals in your possession, it is important to handle them carefully and avoid any contact with your mouth or food. You can also have them tested for lead to determine if they are safe to handle. If you are unsure about the safety of your crystals, it is best to err on the side of caution and avoid using them altogether.