Mercury vapor from blood pressure devices

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential health hazard of broken mercury-based sphygmomanometers and the vapor leakage from good devices during normal operation. The amount of mercury-saturated air released during each measurement cycle is considered in relation to the risk for staff members. The conversation also includes calculations and references to the safe limits for mercury exposure. It is concluded that the worst-case scenario is still far below the threshold for mild, subclinical toxicity. Further factors such as ventilation and multiple people using the device in a sealed room are also discussed.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Some mercury vapor must escape from the manometer each time the cuff is inflated and deflated. How much of a health hazard is this?
I came across some articles about the health hazard from broken mercury-based sphygmomanometers. This led me to think about vapor leakage from good devices during normal operation.

The top of the glass tube is at ambient atmospheric pressure. There is supposed to be a membrane at the top that stops liquid mercury from spilling out (e.g. during transportation) but allows air pressure to equalize. So this means that each operation cycle pushes out some air that is saturated with mercury vapor. (This would be through the top membrane during inflation and through the deflating valve during deflation).

How serious would the risk be from this amount of mercury-saturated air that is being pumped out on each measurement cycle?

Biology news on Phys.org
They don't use those any more. There electronic now.
In normal modern use, the risk is zero. At least were I go.

In the past:
You want to find out the rate at which Hg will evaporate at room temp.
Then figure how the much atmosphere would be exposed to the evaporative surface in the manometer, and how it would get out of there to cause problems.
Seems pretty instrument specific.

If we aim for just a worst-case order of magnitude, we could assume that the Hg is at saturation vapor pressure before each operation cycle. If we assume a couple of cc of saturated air and maybe 20 cycles per day in a small office, would this be in the range where it becomes a concern for the staff members?

Likes BillTre
Swamp Thing said:
If we aim for just a worst-case order of magnitude, we could assume that the Hg is at saturation vapor pressure before each operation cycle. If we assume a couple of cc of saturated air and maybe 20 cycles per day in a small office, would this be in the range where it becomes a concern for the staff members?
Have you tried looking up the saturation pressure of gaseous mercury at room temperature and calculating what mass of mercury that is?

I did find this document where they directly give values for the saturated Hg concentration -- it's about 20 ng / cm^3.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165993615300807#t0010

At first I could not find the safe limits but I found this last night and I was planning to post back here:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/mercury-and-health
Mild, subclinical signs of central nervous system toxicity can be seen in workers exposed to an elemental mercury level in the air of 20 μg/m3 or more for several years. Kidney effects have been reported, ranging from increased protein in the urine to kidney failure

If we assume a sealed room, say 2m x 2m x 2m, and 100 operations of the device, we end up with a worst case final concentration of 2 μg of mercury or 0.25 μg/m3.

So the worst case is nowhere near the threshold of "mild, subclinical toxicity".

Likes russ_watters
Swamp Thing said:
I did find this document where they directly give values for the saturated Hg concentration -- it's about 20 ng / cm^3.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165993615300807#t0010

At first I could not find the safe limits but I found this last night and I was planning to post back here:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/mercury-and-healthIf we assume a sealed room, say 2m x 2m x 2m, and 100 operations of the device, we end up with a worst case final concentration of 2 μg of mercury or 0.25 μg/m3.

So the worst case is nowhere near the threshold of "mild, subclinical toxicity".
Excellent analysis, thank you! So few people actually do the simple calc.

It's worth noting that your calculations are very conservative; no ventilation and 100 tests is a stagnant room and an arm that's numb from lack of blood flow.

Likes BillTre
Thanks for the comment and the like.

russ_watters said:
an arm that's numb from lack of blood flow
Well, there could be a few people in there testing each other in turn. :smile:

But then, they would be sharing the mercury vapor, which would reduce individual exposure even further :cool:

Likes russ_watters
Swamp Thing said:
If we assume a sealed room, say 2m x 2m x 2m
Swamp Thing said:
Well, there could be a few people in there testing each other in turn.
Until they die of hypoxia. :eek:

On the average, an adult at rest consumes about 16 liters of oxygen per hour.
(from: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Biology/metab.html)

Hmm... Maybe not so bad, 4 people could remain conscious for (very) roughly 30hrs.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:

1. What is mercury vapor and how does it affect our health?

Mercury vapor is a form of mercury that is released into the air. It can be inhaled and absorbed into our bodies, potentially causing harm to our nervous system, lungs, and kidneys.

2. How is mercury vapor released from blood pressure devices?

Mercury is used in old-style blood pressure devices as a liquid metal. When the device is used, the mercury can evaporate and be released into the air as vapor.

3. What are the potential risks of exposure to mercury vapor from blood pressure devices?

Exposure to mercury vapor can cause symptoms such as coughing, difficulty breathing, and chest pain. Long-term exposure can lead to neurological and developmental problems, especially in children and pregnant women.

4. Are there any regulations or safety measures in place for blood pressure devices containing mercury?

Yes, many countries have banned the use of mercury in medical devices, including blood pressure devices. In addition, there are strict guidelines for the safe handling and disposal of these devices to prevent the release of mercury vapor.

5. What are the alternatives to blood pressure devices containing mercury?

There are now many alternatives to blood pressure devices that do not contain mercury, such as digital devices and aneroid sphygmomanometers. These devices are just as accurate and do not pose a risk of mercury vapor exposure.