Learn About Moments & Equilibriums: What Does a Moment Mean?

In summary, the moment of inertia tells us how a force will rotate an object, while the angular acceleration tells us how fast the object is rotating.
Aman Trivedi
Hi,
I'm currently learning about moments and equilibriums. I'm able to solve the problems quite properly, like determining different forces, distances and etc. what intrigued me is that when we say that an object has a moment of 1700 Nm about point o. Does it mean that the object will provide that much rotation from the axis in terms of the distance or does it have another implication? Can the degree of rotation be deteimed from An objects torque? Because when I imagine the motion of a stick from a certain point I don't see it rotate 360 degree simply because the force acting on it is not consistent. For example adding a weight to propellers side won't make it spin completely but if I keep adding weight to every side that comes up after each rotation it will make a complete rotation. Am I correct? Then what exactly does the moment or a torque on an object tell us?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the below figure, the torque = distance * force will rotate the nut.
upload_2016-3-1_18-48-26.png

Generally, a torque will try to rotate something. A rotating motor will yield torque to its shaft.

Aman Trivedi said:
we say that an object has a moment of 1700 Nm about point o. Does it mean that the object will provide that much rotation from the axis in terms of the distance or does it have another implication?

Torque can be thought of in units of Joules per radian. What this tells us that a constant torque of 1 Joule/radian will transfer to an object an energy (manifest as rotational kinetic energy) of 1 Joule for every radian of resulting rotation. In simpler terms, a torque is a turning force.

So with a stick in your hand, it will not rotate 360 because you are not applying a constant torque. But certain mechanisms can. Even simple mechanisms can do so, at least approximately. For example:

A rubber band powered car.

Last edited:
Perhaps compare...

Force = mass * acceleration
with
Torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration

What is a moment?

A moment is a measure of the turning effect of a force. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

How is a moment different from a force?

A moment and a force are two different concepts. A force is a push or pull that causes an object to move or change direction, while a moment is a measure of the rotational effect of a force.

What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for a body to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments. This means that the forces acting on the body must be balanced in order to maintain a state of rest or constant motion.

What does it mean for a body to be in equilibrium?

A body is in equilibrium when it is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. This means that the net force and net moment acting on the body are both equal to zero.

How is the concept of moments and equilibrium applied in real life?

The concept of moments and equilibrium is applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. For example, moments and equilibrium are important in designing stable structures, such as buildings and bridges, and in analyzing the forces acting on them.