Learn How to Exclude Italics in PF: Tips for Writing SI Symbols in Upright Text

• Thread starter Mister T
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking for help on how to make text not appear in italics when using LaTeX in a PF post. They specifically want to know how to write SI symbols in upright text. They have tried searching for an answer online, but have only found explanations on how to make text appear in italics. The suggested solution is to enclose the symbols in \mathrm{} to make them appear in upright text.
Mister T
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I type an expression in LaTeX here in a PF post the text is always in italics. I know nothing about LaTeX but am trying to learn. How do I make the text not be in italics? I want to write SI symbols in upright text, for example.

I tried to find the answer on the web but all I could find was explanations of how to make the text be in italics!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try enclosing them in \mathrm{ }

Like this: ##\sin px\ \mathrm{kg}##

Code:
##\sin px\ \mathrm{kg}##

EDIT by Jedi: Added a code block to show exactly what is typed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Related to Learn How to Exclude Italics in PF: Tips for Writing SI Symbols in Upright Text

What is the purpose of excluding italics in PF?

The purpose of excluding italics in PF is to ensure consistency in the presentation of scientific symbols, specifically those symbols used in the International System of Units (SI). By writing these symbols in upright text, they are easier to read and understand, and there is less room for confusion or misinterpretation.

Why is it important to learn how to exclude italics in PF?

Learning how to exclude italics in PF is important for anyone working in the scientific field, as it is a widely accepted standard for writing SI symbols. It also shows attention to detail and precision in scientific writing, which is crucial for accurately communicating scientific information.

Are there any exceptions to excluding italics in PF?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to excluding italics in PF. Some symbols, such as angles and planes, are traditionally written in italics and should continue to be written as such. Additionally, if a publication or style guide specifically requires the use of italics for SI symbols, then it should be followed.

What are some tips for writing SI symbols in upright text?

Some tips for writing SI symbols in upright text include: using the correct font, using the appropriate symbol for the corresponding unit, and being consistent in the use of upright text for all SI symbols throughout the document. It is also helpful to refer to a reputable style guide for specific guidelines on writing SI symbols.

How can I ensure I am properly excluding italics in PF?

To ensure you are properly excluding italics in PF, it is important to proofread your writing carefully and double-check that all SI symbols are written in upright text. It may also be helpful to have a colleague or peer review your writing for any errors or inconsistencies. Additionally, staying updated on any changes or updates to the standard for writing SI symbols can also help ensure accuracy.