Learn Quantum & Nuclear Physics: 14 Y/O

In summary, these books would be a good starting point for learning quantum physics and nuclear physics.
Aidan Davis
As a 14 year old, my access to resources is limited to what I can find on my phone or occasionally in the library. With this consideration, can anyone recommend some good online resource for learning quantum physics and nuclear physics. I already have the background knowledge, I understand classical physics well and can utilize mathematics well into complex analysis and number theory. (If you have recommendations for those too I wouldn't mind) I just need recommendations for learning quantum physics and nuclear physics with only a phone and internet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aidan Davis said:
As a 14 year old, my access to resources is limited to what I can find on my phone or occasionally in the library. With this consideration, can anyone recommend some good online resource for learning quantum physics and nuclear physics. I already have the background knowledge, I understand classical physics well and can utilize mathematics well into complex analysis and number theory. (If you have recommendations for those too I wouldn't mind) I just need recommendations for learning quantum physics and nuclear physics with only a phone and internet.

Impressive that you know Number theory and Complex analysis.:bow:

I think you can get into university with that level of knowledge.

Likes vanhees71
Aidan Davis said:
I don't know, to what extent you have knowledge in Classical Mechanics. So I would like to suggest "Goldstein" for Classical Mechanics. Solve each and every problem you can. take help of others if you can't solve the problems on your own. The knowledge of Classical Mechanics comes in handy to understand the counter-intuitive nature of Quantum Mechanics, and still predicting the same results as Classical Mechanics in various cases. After that "R. Shankar" must be good for Quantum Mechanics. Concepts of Angular Momentum is very important in Atomic and Nuclear level Physics, which can be well served by R. Shankar.

Elementary Particles by "Griffiths" is good for Particle Physics, and "S. M. Wong" for Nuclear Physics. Hopefully, these books will be useful and you can find the PDFs.

Shailesh Pincha said:
I don't know, to what extent you have knowledge in Classical Mechanics. So I would like to suggest "Goldstein" for Classical Mechanics. Solve each and every problem you can. take help of others if you can't solve the problems on your own. The knowledge of Classical Mechanics comes in handy to understand the counter-intuitive nature of Quantum Mechanics, and still predicting the same results as Classical Mechanics in various cases. After that "R. Shankar" must be good for Quantum Mechanics. Concepts of Angular Momentum is very important in Atomic and Nuclear level Physics, which can be well served by R. Shankar.

Elementary Particles by "Griffiths" is good for Particle Physics, and "S. M. Wong" for Nuclear Physics. Hopefully, these books will be useful and you can find the PDFs.
Thanks!

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It helps us understand the structure and properties of matter at a fundamental level.

2. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of objects on a larger scale, whereas quantum physics describes the behavior of particles at a very small scale. Quantum physics also introduces the concept of uncertainty and the wave-particle duality of matter.

3. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the structure, behavior, and interactions of atomic nuclei. It includes topics such as nuclear reactions, nuclear energy, and radioactive decay.

4. How are quantum physics and nuclear physics related?

Quantum physics is the foundation of nuclear physics, as it helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles within atomic nuclei. Nuclear physics also applies quantum principles to explain nuclear phenomena.

5. Why is it important to learn quantum and nuclear physics at a young age?

Learning quantum and nuclear physics at a young age can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a strong foundation for future studies and careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Understanding these concepts can also help us better understand the world around us and the fundamental laws that govern it.