Learning about Computers and IT

• Thread starter BluberryPi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the person is seeking help with learning about computer-related topics online, particularly RAMs, processors, scanners, and firewalls. They are interested in expanding their knowledge in computers and IT, but do not know where to start. They ask for assistance and suggest that sharing background information would be helpful. Some suggestions for learning resources are HowStuffWorks.com and Wikipedia.
BluberryPi
Hello.
My problem is this: I need a way to learn about stuff like RAMs, Processers, Scanner, Firewalls, you know, computer stuff, that is online.
I want to learn more about computers and IT. The problem is, I don't know how to do it.
Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you tell some things about your background and the context in which you want to learn the things you ask.

BluberryPi said:
Hello.
My problem is this: I need a way to learn about stuff like RAMs, Processers, Scanner, Firewalls, you know, computer stuff, that is online.
I want to learn more about computers and IT. The problem is, I don't know how to do it.
Can anyone help me?
HowStuffWorks.com and Wikipedia are both good learning resources -- check them out! :smile:

Likes fresh_42 and CalcNerd

What is the difference between hardware and software?

Hardware refers to the physical components of a computer system, such as the processor, memory, and hard drive. Software, on the other hand, refers to the programs and applications that run on the hardware and allow the computer to perform specific tasks.

What is the purpose of an operating system?

An operating system is the software that manages the resources of a computer and provides the user with an interface to interact with the computer. Its main purpose is to control and coordinate the hardware and software components of a computer system, making it possible for users to perform tasks and run applications.

What are the main types of computer networks?

The main types of computer networks are local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and wireless networks. LANs connect devices in a small area, such as an office or home, while WANs connect devices over a larger geographical area. Wireless networks use radio waves to connect devices without the need for physical cables.

What is the difference between a virus and malware?

A virus is a type of malware that is designed to replicate and spread from one computer to another, often causing harm to the system. Malware, on the other hand, is a broad term that encompasses various types of malicious software, including viruses, spyware, and ransomware.

What is the cloud and how does it work?

The cloud refers to a network of remote servers that allow users to store, manage, and access data and applications over the internet. These servers are maintained by a cloud service provider, and users can access their data from anywhere with an internet connection. The data is stored and processed on the provider's servers, rather than on the user's local computer.