Learning to do science without being told what to do

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of becoming a scientist and the challenges of coming up with new ideas. It is suggested that deep knowledge and curiosity, along with guidance from an advisor, can lead to novel ideas. It is also important to match available resources with interesting and feasible research projects. Brainstorming and project planning are essential skills for successful research.
svletana
How do you learn to be a scientist without being told what to calculate, what to think about, etc? I feel like my hand has been held this whole time when I was doing experiments or calculations, I feel kind of unable to come up with new ideas myself sometimes.

Are you a scientist? (doing a PhD or something) How did you start this journey?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Profile page doesn't list your level of education or what education you have in progress. What is your background so far? That will help us tune our replies to be the most helpful for you. :smile:

I think you need to get really deeply into a subject before you know enough to know where the holes are and what is known and unknown. It does sound like you're a student. I only started forging my own path maybe halfway through my PhD. At that point I had read every paper multiple times and knew the state-of-the-art backwards and forwards. I could start to see what hadn't been tried yet (and was still potentially a good idea). Once I had that idea, which ended up being my thesis topic, the work kind of did itself. It was usually obvious what I needed to do next and if it wasn't my advisor was good at making keen suggestions.

So, I would say you don't get to that level typically until you're partway through your PhDs. Many engineers never really get there.

Likes svletana, russ_watters and berkeman
You first need more life experience. Then you need to have tried to study something, anything, for several months. Then you need to be curious about something, and LOOK for some way to ask a question and TRY to figure a way to find or produce information to allow you to answer that question.

Have you ever followed a food recipe, and the result was not something you wanted? Did you do something about it, or did you just tell yourself that the recipe was bad and you would not make it again? So you might either tend toward some scientific thinking or move away from any scientific thinking.

Likes svletana
svletana said:
I feel kind of unable to come up with new ideas myself sometimes.

Are you a scientist? (doing a PhD or something) How did you start this journey?
I completely understand the feeling. Once you have chosen a general field of study you need to read the professional journals voraciously. As you read them think “what next” or “how would I apply this to a different problem”. Then, run your ideas by your advisor. He will probably be able to tell you where it has already been done (in my case usually decades earlier). Don’t be frustrated, even though they were not actually new ideas they were new to you and you still came up with them. Eventually you will hit on one that is truly novel.

Likes HRubss, CivilSigma, svletana and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Your Profile page doesn't list your level of education or what education you have in progress. What is your background so far? That will help us tune our replies to be the most helpful for you. :smile:
Sorry i forgot to say! I am completing my university degree (licenciatura) in Buenos Aires :)

At the graduate level, your adviser should have problems that he thinks would be good PhD problems. You don't just need a problem to work on; you need something that you can make real progress on even though you don't have a lot of research experience.

Matching available resources (your abilities, library resources, computing resources, advice quality, lab equipment, funding) to interesting and novel problems is one of the big challenges in designing experiments and research projects. I mentor lots of research (high school through senior undergraduate) and this is something we circle back to early and often in the design and brainstorming stages of project development. I usually start students by giving them a long list of possible projects for which the resources are most likely available and I also have them write down all the ideas that they have for things that interest them. In our discussions, we always circle back to how we can assess the resources needed and whether they can be acquired. Project planning is an excersise in reading the menu right to left - how much does it cost over and above what we already have in the fridge?

The best projects are usually the ones that left lots of good ideas on the cutting room floor. This article may help you develop improved brainstorming approaches:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/niches-publishable-undergraduate-research/

Likes FactChecker

1. What does it mean to learn to do science without being told what to do?

Learning to do science without being told what to do refers to the process of developing critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and independent research skills that allow individuals to conduct scientific investigations and experiments without relying on specific instructions or guidance from others.

2. Why is it important to learn to do science without being told what to do?

Learning to do science without being told what to do is important because it allows individuals to think creatively and develop their own unique approaches to scientific inquiry. It also promotes self-directed learning and encourages individuals to take ownership of their scientific investigations.

3. How can one learn to do science without being told what to do?

One can learn to do science without being told what to do by actively engaging in scientific experiments and practices, seeking out new information and resources, and reflecting on their own thought processes and problem-solving strategies. Additionally, working with mentors and participating in collaborative scientific projects can also help individuals develop the necessary skills.

4. What are the benefits of learning to do science without being told what to do?

Learning to do science without being told what to do has numerous benefits, including fostering critical thinking skills, promoting creativity and innovation, and developing self-confidence and independence. It also allows individuals to contribute original ideas and approaches to scientific research, leading to advancements in various fields of study.

5. Are there any challenges associated with learning to do science without being told what to do?

Yes, there can be challenges associated with learning to do science without being told what to do, such as difficulty in finding resources and information, facing setbacks and failures, and developing effective problem-solving skills. However, these challenges can also aid in the learning process and help individuals become more resilient and adaptable scientists.