Least square estimate problem

In summary: I##.In summary, the student is asked to substitute a hint into an equation and then to use that equation to prove that the estimator ##\hat\beta## is the least squares estimate.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##Y \sim N_n\left(X\beta,\sigma^2I\right)##, where the density function of ##Y## is
$$\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\sigma^2\right)^{\frac{n}{2}}}e^{-\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}(Y-X\beta)^T(Y-X\beta)},$$
and ##X## is an ##n\times p## matrix of rank ##p##.
Let ##\hat{\beta}## be the least squares estimator of ##\beta##.

Show that ##(Y-X\beta)^T(Y-X\beta) = \left(Y-X\hat{\beta}\right)^T(Y-X\hat{\beta})+\left(\hat{\beta}-\beta\right)^TX^TX\left(\hat{\beta}-\beta\right)## and therefore that ##\hat{\beta}## is the least squares estimate.
Hint: ##Y-X\beta = Y-X\hat{\beta}+X\hat{\beta}-X\beta##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. Do I substitute the hint into ##(Y-X\beta)^T(Y-X\beta)## and expand out the brackets?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be something odd about how this problem is stated. It asks the student to assume that ##\hat\beta## is the least squares estimator of ##\beta## - and then to use that to prove that it is the least squares estimate. Are they trying to draw a distinction between estimator and estimate? If not, the problem is trivial. However if we want to get very precise about terminology I would have thought that an estimator is a function whereas the estimate is the result of the function. Is there some particular meaning of 'estimator' and 'estimate' that they are using in your course?

As to how to proceed to prove their formula, yes substitution along the lines you mention sounds a good way to start. You can rewrite the RHS of the hint as ##(Y-X\hat\beta)+X(\hat\beta-\beta)##. Expanding out then gives us a right hand side that is what they show above, plus
$$2(X(\hat\beta-\beta))^T(Y-X\hat\beta)$$
So this needs to be shown to be zero. However it seems to me that should be impossible, since it is a function of the unknown parameter vector ##\beta##, which can be changed without changing any of the other elements in the formula (##X,Y,\hat\beta##) .

Are you sure there wasn't an expectation operator around that equation they want you to prove, or some other constraining condition?

andrewkirk said:
There seems to be something odd about how this problem is stated. It asks the student to assume that ##\hat\beta## is the least squares estimator of ##\beta## - and then to use that to prove that it is the least squares estimate. Are they trying to draw a distinction between estimator and estimate? If not, the problem is trivial. However if we want to get very precise about terminology I would have thought that an estimator is a function whereas the estimate is the result of the function. Is there some particular meaning of 'estimator' and 'estimate' that they are using in your course?

As to how to proceed to prove their formula, yes substitution along the lines you mention sounds a good way to start. You can rewrite the RHS of the hint as ##(Y-X\hat\beta)+X(\hat\beta-\beta)##. Expanding out then gives us a right hand side that is what they show above, plus
$$2(X(\hat\beta-\beta))^T(Y-X\hat\beta)$$
So this needs to be shown to be zero. However it seems to me that should be impossible, since it is a function of the unknown parameter vector ##\beta##, which can be changed without changing any of the other elements in the formula (##X,Y,\hat\beta##) .

Are you sure there wasn't an expectation operator around that equation they want you to prove, or some other constraining condition?
Nope that's the question asked.

squenshl said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##Y \sim N_n\left(X\beta,\sigma^2I\right)##, where the density function of ##Y## is
$$\frac{1}{\left(2\pi\sigma^2\right)^{\frac{n}{2}}}e^{-\frac{1}{2\sigma^2}(Y-X\beta)^T(Y-X\beta)},$$
and ##X## is an ##n\times p## matrix of rank ##p##.
Let ##\hat{\beta}## be the least squares estimator of ##\beta##.

Show that ##(Y-X\beta)^T(Y-X\beta) = \left(Y-X\hat{\beta}\right)^T(Y-X\hat{\beta})+\left(\hat{\beta}-\beta\right)^TX^TX\left(\hat{\beta}-\beta\right)## and therefore that ##\hat{\beta}## is the least squares estimate.
Hint: ##Y-X\beta = Y-X\hat{\beta}+X\hat{\beta}-X\beta##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. Do I substitute the hint into ##(Y-X\beta)^T(Y-X\beta)## and expand out the brackets?

Please help!
Let ##Q(\beta) = (Y - X \beta)^T (Y - X \beta)##. If you write ##\beta = b + e## you can expand ##Q(b+e)## as a quadratic in ##e##. It will have 0-order terms (not containing ##e##), first-order terms (linear in ##e##) and second-order terms (of the form ##e^T M e## for some matrix ##M## that depends on ##X, Y## and ##b##). However, if you choose ##b## correctly, the terms of first-order in ##e## will vanish, leaving you with only zero-order and second-order terms in ##e##. That will happen when ##b = \hat{\beta}##. You will obtain the expression you are being asked to prove, where ##e = \beta ##-

1. What is the least square estimate problem?

The least square estimate problem is a mathematical method used to find the best fit line or curve for a set of data points. It minimizes the sum of the squared distances between the data points and the line or curve, making it a popular choice for regression analysis.

2. How is the least square estimate problem used in scientific research?

The least square estimate problem is commonly used in scientific research to analyze and model data. It can be applied to a variety of fields, such as economics, engineering, and biology, to find relationships between variables and make predictions based on data.

3. What are the advantages of using the least square estimate problem?

The least square estimate problem offers several advantages, including its ability to handle large datasets, its simplicity and ease of use, and its ability to provide a quantitative measure of the goodness of fit for the chosen model.

4. Are there any limitations to the least square estimate problem?

While the least square estimate problem is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the data is normally distributed and that there is a linear relationship between the variables being analyzed. If these assumptions are not met, the results may not be accurate.

5. How can the least square estimate problem be improved or modified?

There are several modifications and improvements that can be made to the least square estimate problem, such as using weighted least squares to account for unequal variances in the data, or using non-linear least squares to model non-linear relationships. Other methods, such as robust regression, can also be used to improve the accuracy of the results in certain situations.