Legendre polynomial of zero

In summary, using the generating function for Legendre polynomials, it can be shown that ##P_n(0)=\begin{cases}0 & n \ is \ odd\\\frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} & n \ is \ even\end{cases}##. The expansion of ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}## using the binomial theorem only contains terms with even exponents, indicating that the coefficients of the odd terms must be equal to zero.
watisphysics

Homework Statement

Using the Generating function for Legendre polynomials, show that:
##P_n(0)=\begin{cases}0 & n \ is \ odd\\\frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} & n \ is \ even\end{cases}##

Homework Equations

Generating function: ##(1-2xt+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(x) t^n##

The Attempt at a Solution

I put ##x=0## in the generating function and got ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(0) t^n## Now, I think I should expand ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}## using the binomial theorem, then I get an expression that's only valid for even values of ##n##, but it's not the expression stated in the question. So, how can I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
watisphysics said:

Homework Statement

Using the Generating function for Legendre polynomials, show that:
##P_n(0)=\begin{cases}0 & n \ is \ odd\\\frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} & n \ is \ even\end{cases}##

Homework Equations

Generating function: ##(1-2xt+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(x) t^n##

I put ##x=0## in the generating function and got ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(0) t^n## Now, I think I should expand ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}## using the binomial theorem, then I get an expression that's only valid for even values of ##n##, but it's not the expression stated in the question. So, how can I solve this?

So, what does that tell you about ##P_n(0)## for odd ##n##?

watisphysics said:

"Valid" isn't the right word here. The expansion only contains terms with even exponents, so what does that tell you about the coefficients of the odd terms?

1. What is a Legendre polynomial of zero?

A Legendre polynomial of zero is a type of polynomial function that is used to represent a special class of mathematical functions called Legendre polynomials. These polynomials were named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and are commonly used in physics and engineering for solving differential equations.

2. What is the significance of a Legendre polynomial of zero?

A Legendre polynomial of zero represents a special case in the family of Legendre polynomials. It is the simplest polynomial in the family, with a degree of 0, and is often used as a starting point for deriving other Legendre polynomials. It is also used in approximation methods and in solving certain boundary value problems.

3. How is a Legendre polynomial of zero mathematically defined?

A Legendre polynomial of zero, denoted as P0(x), is defined as P0(x) = 1. This means that it is a constant function with a value of 1, regardless of the value of x. This can also be written as P0(x) = 1x0, as any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1.

4. What is the graph of a Legendre polynomial of zero?

Since a Legendre polynomial of zero is a constant function, its graph is a horizontal line at y = 1. This means that regardless of the value of x, the function will always have a value of 1. The graph is a useful visual representation of the mathematical definition of the polynomial.

5. Can a Legendre polynomial of zero be used for practical applications?

Yes, a Legendre polynomial of zero can be used in practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used as a building block for deriving other Legendre polynomials, which have various applications in these fields. It is also used in approximation methods for solving differential equations and in solving certain boundary value problems.