Proving that ##lim sup s_n = lim s_n##

• Thread starter Hall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, we define the limit superior of a sequence as the supremum of all possible limits of its subsequences, and the limit inferior as the infimum of all possible limits of its subsequences. If a sequence has a limit, then its limit superior and limit inferior are equal to that limit.
Hall
Homework Statement
Main body
Relevant Equations
Main body
Let ## v_N = \sup \{ s_n : n \gt N \}##. If ## lim \sup s_n = \lim v_N = L##, then for ## \epsilon /gt 0##, we have ##N## such that
$$
m \gt N \implies v_m \lt L + \varepsilon$$
$$
n\gt m \implies s_n \lt L + \epsilon$$
Therefore, ## \lim s_n = L##.

I don't very much understand limit superior, but simply writing it as ##v_N## allowed me to carry out the usual procedure.

Physics news on Phys.org
To understand lim sup, take a straightforward example, say:
[tex] a_n = (-1)^n\frac{n}{n-1}[/tex]
This alternating sequence does not converge to zero, so it has no limit. In the limit, it bounces between "close to" 1 and "close to" -1. Work out ##A_n = \mathop{sup}_{k\ge n} a_k##. That will be ##a_n## for even n and ##a_{n+1}## for odd n. As the magnitude is decreasing the first positive value in the tail will be the maximum.

Then note that the limit of ##A_n##, which is the lim sup of ##a_n## is 1.
(and the lim inf would then be -1).

That should help clarify the definition.

Likes Hall
What if the limit does not exist? Does that mean that the lim sup does not exist?

Likes Hall
jambaugh said:
To understand lim sup, take a straightforward example, say:
[tex] a_n = (-1)^n\frac{n}{n-1}[/tex]
This alternating sequence does not converge to zero, so it has no limit. In the limit, it bounces between "close to" 1 and "close to" -1. Work out ##A_n = \mathop{sup}_{k\ge n} a_k##. That will be ##a_n## for even n and ##a_{n+1}## for odd n. As the magnitude is decreasing the first positive value in the tail will be the maximum.

Then note that the limit of ##A_n##, which is the lim sup of ##a_n## is 1.
(and the lim inf would then be -1).

That should help clarify the definition.
Yes, it has clarified that if the sequence is decreasing then ## \sup \{s_n : n \in \mathbf{N} \} \geq \lim_{N \to \infty} \sup \{s_n : n \gt N \}##

FactChecker said:
What if the limit does not exist? Does that mean that the lim sup does not exist?
I have only showed one way implication, that if limit superior exists then limit of original sequence is equal to it.

If the limit doesn't exist, then also limit superior might exist as in the case of ##(-1)^n## (but here I'm simply assuming that limit superior is, nothing but, limit of a subsequence)

Hall said:
I have only showed one way implication, that if limit superior exists then limit of original sequence is equal to it.

If the limit doesn't exist, then also limit superior might exist as in the case of ##(-1)^n## (but here I'm simply assuming that limit superior is, nothing but, limit of a subsequence)
The statement of what you proved must also include the assumption that the limit does exist.

FactChecker said:
The statement of what you proved must also include the assumption that the limit does exist.
Okay.

So, can I take limit superior totally as a limit of a subsequence?

Hall said:
Okay.

So, can I take limit superior totally as a limit of a subsequence?
if the limit exists, then lim sup = lim

Rudin has made a few things clear.

Given a sequence ##(s_n)##. If it’s subsequence ##(s_{n_k} )## converges to ##x##, then we define ##E## to be a set of all those ##x## s, that is all the limits of all possible subsequences. We write
$$
\lim \sup s_n = \sup E
$$
$$
\lim \inf s_n = \inf E$$.

Prove that if a sequence ##(s_n)## has a limit, then ##\lim \inf s_n = \lim s_n = \lim \sup s_n##.

Proof: Since, ##\lim (s_n)= s##, we can prove that all the subsequences of ##(s_n)## will converge to ##s##. So, the set E contains just one element: ##s##. So, ##\sup E = \inf E = s##.

So,
$$\lim \inf s_n = s = \lim \sup s_n$$.

That was to be demonstrated.

Likes FactChecker

What is the definition of lim sup and lim?

Lim sup (limit superior) is the largest limit point of a sequence, while lim (limit) is the value that a sequence approaches as it tends towards infinity.

Why is it important to prove that lim sup s_n = lim s_n?

Proving that lim sup s_n = lim s_n is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. It also helps us to understand the convergence or divergence of a sequence.

What is the difference between lim sup and lim inf?

The lim sup is the largest limit point of a sequence, while the lim inf (limit inferior) is the smallest limit point of a sequence. In other words, the lim sup is the highest value that a sequence can approach, while the lim inf is the lowest value that a sequence can approach.

How do you prove that lim sup s_n = lim s_n?

To prove that lim sup s_n = lim s_n, you must show that the lim sup and lim are equal in value and that they are both limit points of the sequence. This can be done by using the definition of lim sup and lim, and by showing that the sequence approaches both values as n tends towards infinity.

Can lim sup s_n and lim s_n be different?

Yes, it is possible for lim sup s_n and lim s_n to be different. This can occur when a sequence has multiple limit points, and the lim sup and lim inf are not equal. In this case, the lim sup will be the largest limit point, while the lim inf will be the smallest limit point.