Length Contraction Ether wind

In summary: Yes. It states that if the light had traveled in a direction at right angles to the Earth's motion it would be entirely unaffected.
unscientific
Length Contraction "Ether wind"

Homework Statement

Due to the ether wind, anything that moves along it is "contracted".

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking L1 to be contracted length,

(L1)2
= (L1x)2 + (L1Y)2
= (L10,X/γ)2 + (L10,Y)2But what they wrote is the opposite..

Attachments

• contraction1.jpg
    contraction1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The equation (3-3) in the book is an expression for the "normal" (not contracted) length in terms of the components of the contracted length. Your expression is for the contracted length in terms of the components of the normal length.

TSny said:
The equation (3-3) in the book is an expression for the "normal" (not contracted) length in terms of the components of the contracted length. Your expression is for the contracted length in terms of the components of the normal length.

Are both equivalent??

I tried to prove but the square roots got me..

Michelson Morley Experiment: Rotating setup

Homework Statement

Apparently rotating the setup at an angle doesn't change the time difference between t1 and t2..

n1xx68.jpg

But the square roots below are clearly different..

square roots below what?

Simon Bridge said:
square roots below what?

I tried changing everything in the square roots to only 'sin' or 'cos' but can't seem to remove the square roots at all..

I'll have to see your working - is there an attachment missing?
OH I see ... there is a tinypic.com link that is not rendering for me.

Simon Bridge said:
I'll have to see your working - is there an attachment missing?
OH I see ... there is a tinypic.com link that is not rendering for me.

Oh sorry about that, can you view this attachment?

Attachments

• ether1.jpg
    ether1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 404

bumpp

Oh there you are - couldn't access the thread for a while there.
I'll have a proper look when I have a bit of time.
[edit]Is this the reworking of the MM experiment using SR?

Last edited:

unscientific,

Note that the time, [itex]t_1[/itex], to travel out and back along [itex]l_1[/itex] is not [itex]2l_1/c[/itex] because ##c## is not the speed of light relative to the apparatus. You're going to have to figure out the speed of the light relative to the apparatus for the light going out along arm [itex]l_1[/itex] and the (different) speed for the light coming back. Likewise for the other arm.

Last edited:

TSny said:
unscientific,

Note that the time, [itex]t_1[/itex], to travel out and back along [itex]l_1[/itex] is not [itex]2l_1/c[/itex] because ##c## is not the speed of light relative to the apparatus. You're going to have to figure out the speed of the light relative to the apparatus for the light going out along arm [itex]l_1[/itex] and the (different) speed for the light coming back. Likewise for the other arm.

I assume:
1) only the component parallel to ether wind is affected by it
2) The light is aimed at a smaller angle to compensate for this

so the speed towards is:
√[ (c sinθ)2 + (c cosθ - v)2 ]

and the speed back is:

√[ (c sinθ)2 + (c cosθ + v)2 ]

Not sure if that's right..

unscientific said:
so the speed towards is:
√[ (c sinθ)2 + (c cosθ - v)2 ]

That would be ok if θ here is the angle that the light is "aimed at". But in that case, it's not the angle of inclination of the arm as shown in the diagram.

TSny said:
That would be ok if θ here is the angle that the light is "aimed at". But in that case, it's not the angle of inclination of the arm as shown in the diagram.

I'm not sure what you mean..If c is indeed affected by ether wind won't θ be off-balanced?

unscientific said:
I'm not sure what you mean..If c is indeed affected by ether wind won't θ be off-balanced?
Indeed. You'll have to fire the light beam in some direction [itex]\phi[/itex] so that the wind will blow it into the direction θ (along the arm). I was interpreting the direction "aimed at" as the direction fired ([itex]\phi[/itex]). Your expression for the light speed relative to the apparatus is ok if your θ is replaced by [itex]\phi[/itex].

You might try drawing a velocity addition triangle and using the law of cosines to express the light speed relative to the apparatus in terms of θ without worrying about the value of [itex]\phi[/itex].

unscientific said:
I assume:
1) only the component parallel to ether wind is affected by it[..]
If I correctly understand what you say, then you are copying an error of Michelson! See:

1. http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Relative_Motion_of_the_Earth_and_the_Luminiferous_Ether :
" If, however, the light had traveled in a direction at right angles to the Earth's motion it would be entirely unaffected."

I think that this is also what you are saying now.

2. http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Influence_of_Motion_of_the_Medium_on_the_Velocity_of_Light :

"In deducing the formula for the quantity to be measured, the effect of the motion of the Earth through the ether on the path of the ray at right angles to this motion was overlooked." [etc]

Does that help?

TSny said:
Indeed. You'll have to fire the light beam in some direction [itex]\phi[/itex] so that the wind will blow it into the direction θ (along the arm). I was interpreting the direction "aimed at" as the direction fired ([itex]\phi[/itex]). Your expression for the light speed relative to the apparatus is ok if your θ is replaced by [itex]\phi[/itex].

You might try drawing a velocity addition triangle and using the law of cosines to express the light speed relative to the apparatus in terms of θ without worrying about the value of [itex]\phi[/itex].

Can't seem to get it to be independent of ∅... it turns out as (θ-∅)
2yyy3nq.jpg

TSny said:

I think this question works on the assumption that speed of light 'c' is unaffected by aether. Rather, they are trying to do length contraction here...

This brings me to my second post:

unscientific said:

Homework Statement

Apparently rotating the setup at an angle doesn't change the time difference between t1 and t2..

n1xx68.jpg

But the square roots below are clearly different..

Harrylin, I haven't yet had time to look carefully at your links. They look interesting!

But all I'm saying is that if you let c' represent the speed of light along the arm ##l_1##, then you can express c' in terms of c and θ using relative velocity arguments. See the attached diagram.

Attachments

• RelVel.jpg
    RelVel.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

TSny said:
I haven't yet had time to look carefully at your links. They look interesting! But all I'm saying is that if you let c' represent the speed of light along the arm ##l_1##, then you can express c' in terms of c and θ using relative velocity arguments. See the attached diagram.

In this part they assume speed of light 'c' is the same. They are assuming only the distance contracts..

This is from A.P. French's Relativity text...chapter 3. I'm finding this text very very difficult, especially chapter 2 and 3 (I've skipped the entire chapter 2) I've already completed the homework problems from Halliday, Resnick and Walker and I find them to be much easier. This is demoralizing..

French's exercise is a little tedius to carry through, but it will work out.

What you want to show is that the difference in round trip time for the two arms will be the same no matter how you rotate the apparatus if you postulate length contraction in the ether wind. So, you still have the effect of the ether wind. Relative to the apparatus, the speed of light, c', will not be equal to the speed relative to the ether, c. Use the velocity triangle and the law of cosines as shown in the attachment to express c' in terms of c, v, and θ.

Attachments

• LawCosines.JPG
    LawCosines.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 393

Perhaps a shorter way to derive c' in terms of c, v, and θ is to apply the pythagorean theorem directly to the right triangle abd in the attached figure.

Attachments

• lightprop.jpg
    lightprop.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 376

unscientific said:
In this part they assume speed of light 'c' is the same. They are assuming only the distance contracts..
No, French is still taking into account that the speed of light relative to the apparatus will be affected by the ether wind. Note how he uses equations (3-1) which are the same as (2-9) and (2-10). But he is now adding an additional effect: the Lorentz-FitzGerald contraction. With the contraction effect added, there will be no fringe shift as the apparatus is rotated relative to the direction of the ether wind.
I've already completed the homework problems from Halliday, Resnick and Walker and I find them to be much easier. This is demoralizing..
French's exercise is a step up from Halliday. It's a rather challenging exercise, so expect a little pain. :frown: You should feel good about completing the Halliday exercises and I'm sure you'll make it through French's exercise if you stick with it.

TSny said:
No, French is still taking into account that the speed of light relative to the apparatus will be affected by the ether wind. Note how he uses equations (3-1) which are the same as (2-9) and (2-10). But he is now adding an additional effect: the Lorentz-FitzGerald contraction. With the contraction effect added, there will be no fringe shift as the apparatus is rotated relative to the direction of the ether wind.

French's exercise is a step up from Halliday. It's a rather challenging exercise, so expect a little pain. :frown: You should feel good about completing the Halliday exercises and I'm sure you'll make it through French's exercise if you stick with it.

Ok, thank you for guiding me! I will give it another go!

I worked it out and got some crazy-*** square roots...

34rsvbd.jpg

Good. Looks like your expression for t1 is correct. It will simplify.

For t2, I believe your expression in the square bracket needs some corrections.

TSny said:
Good. Looks like your expression for t1 is correct. It will simplify.

For t2, I believe your expression in the square bracket needs some corrections.

First pic shows the trip towards the mirror:
34iim80.jpg

Next pic shows the return trip:
xdh478.jpg

Everything looks good here. Just solve properly for c' and then simplify the expressions for t1 and t2.

TSny said:
Everything looks good here. Just solve properly for c' and then simplify the expressions for t1 and t2.

I already did! And it got me:

2cp5htw.jpg

I'm thinking if i expanded t2 it will make things more complicated..

Your expressions for c' and c" are not correct inside the brackets for t2, even though your expressions in your previous post are correct.

Last edited:

TSny said:
You expressions for c' and c" are not correct inside the brackets for t2, even though your expressions in your previous post are correct.

I finally proved it! I simplified the expressions for t1 and t2 and found that the squareroots reduced to just 1... thanks for your help!

Good Work!

1. What is length contraction in the context of the ether wind hypothesis?

Length contraction is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity, specifically in the context of the ether wind hypothesis. It suggests that objects in motion will appear shorter in the direction of motion when compared to an observer at rest.

2. How does the ether wind hypothesis relate to the concept of length contraction?

The ether wind hypothesis was proposed in an attempt to explain the observed phenomenon of length contraction. It posits the existence of a medium called the "ether" through which light waves propagate, and suggests that this medium affects the measurement of length in objects moving through it.

3. Is the concept of length contraction still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, the concept of length contraction is still an important aspect of modern physics. While the ether wind hypothesis has been disproven, length contraction is a fundamental element of the theory of relativity and is used to explain various phenomena in the fields of astrophysics and particle physics.

4. How is length contraction different from time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two sides of the same coin. While length contraction refers to the shortening of an object in motion, time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object in motion. Both of these effects are a result of the theory of relativity and are dependent on the relative motion between two observers.

5. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

While length contraction is a well-established phenomenon in physics, it is not something that can be observed in everyday life. This is because the effects of length contraction are only noticeable at very high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday situations, the relative speeds between objects are too low for length contraction to be noticeable.