What is the Length of a Compound Microscope?

In summary, the length of a compound microscope can refer to either the tube length (L) or the distance (d) between the objective and eye piece lenses. However, there is no official definition for the length and it can vary depending on factors such as focusing adjustments. The length of the cutout in the carrying case is also relevant but not significant in terms of optics. It is important to use precise descriptions in context rather than worrying about the correct terminology.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
Compound microscope uses two convex lenses, one as objective lens and one as eye piece lens. What is the length of compound microscope?
If we say "length of microscope", which distance does it refer to? Is it:

a) the tube length (L), which is the distance between the focal point of objective and focal point of eye piece lens
1612231160533.png

OR

b) the distance (d) between objective and eye piece lens

1612231194874.png

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Summary:: Compound microscope uses two convex lenses, one as objective lens and one as eye piece lens. What is the length of compound microscope?

If we say "length of microscope", which distance does it refer to?
I think there is no accepted answer. The dimension that's marked on the ray diagram would be the length to consider if there is some discussion that refers to it(?). One important 'length' would be the length of the cutout in the carrying case, which would be longer than the distance between the centres of the lenses and shorter than the distance between object and eye.
Not something to worry about too much, perhaps and not part of the theory.

Likes songoku
sophiecentaur said:
I think there is no accepted answer. The dimension that's marked on the ray diagram would be the length to consider if there is some discussion that refers to it(?).
There is no specific discussion that refers to it. My teacher said length of microscope is distance between two lenses and I came across the term tube length while googling about microscope so I am confused which one is the length of microscope

One important 'length' would be the length of the cutout in the carrying case, which would be longer than the distance between the centres of the lenses and shorter than the distance between object and eye.
Not something to worry about too much, perhaps and not part of the theory.
What do you mean by length of cutout?

Thanks

Most optical stuff lays in a cutout hole in the carry case to stop it moving about. The width and depth of the hole are also relevant but not to the optics.
I do not think there’s an official term “length”. That can change as the focusing is adjusted .
Edit: You have already said that your teacher gave you a definition for the purpose of the lesson. Tube length will depend on all sorts of things and is of no 'optical' significance. You should stop worrying about using the correct word and concentrate on using and demanding precise descriptions to suit the context. Classifying can be a real waste of time.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
sophiecentaur said:
Most optical stuff lays in a cutout hole in the carry case to stop it moving about. The width and depth of the hole are also relevant but not to the optics.
I do not think there’s an official term “length”. That can change as the focusing is adjusted .
Edit: You have already said that your teacher gave you a definition for the purpose of the lesson. Tube length will depend on all sorts of things and is of no 'optical' significance. You should stop worrying about using the correct word and concentrate on using and demanding precise descriptions to suit the context. Classifying can be a real waste of time.
Thank you very much sophiecentaur

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is the length of a compound microscope?

The length of a compound microscope can vary depending on the specific model and brand, but on average, it is usually between 15-18 inches.

2. Does the length of a compound microscope affect its magnification?

No, the length of a compound microscope does not directly affect its magnification. Magnification is determined by the combination of lenses and the distance between them, not the length of the microscope.

3. Can the length of a compound microscope be adjusted?

Yes, most compound microscopes have an adjustable focus knob that allows you to change the distance between the lenses, thus adjusting the length of the microscope.

4. What is the purpose of the length of a compound microscope?

The length of a compound microscope is important for providing enough space for the various components, such as the eyepiece, objective lenses, and stage, to function properly and for the user to comfortably view the specimen.

5. Is there a standard length for compound microscopes?

No, there is no standard length for compound microscopes as it can vary depending on the manufacturer and model. However, most microscopes are designed to be compact and portable, so they typically fall within a similar length range.