Lewis Dot Structures: Understanding Mistakes for Chemistry Tests

In summary, the carbon in one of the Lewis structures should have a negative formal charge on the oxygen atom. The nitrogen in another Lewis structure should have a maximum of four bonds with 8 electrons. The oxygen in a third Lewis structure should have a negative formal charge on it.
umair21
So 3 days ago I had a chemistry test and part of the test included Lewis dot structures. I counted my valance electrons and distributed them equally but I have no Idea why I got these wrong.The second one I know why I got wrong but the rest of them look fine to me. I would really appreciate it someone can tell me what I did wrong or draw it out.

Attachments

• DSCN2105.jpg
    DSCN2105.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
Valence electrons do not need to be distributed equally. For PClF4, P should be the central atom. The central atom is generally the most electropositive element.

For the carbon one you should remember that carbon generally forms four bonds to complete its octet. Carbon may also have a lone pair and two bonds - this being an alternate way for carbon to complete its octet - but this is relatively rare.

For NO3- you have a positive two formal charge on the central nitrogen and negative formal charges on all the attached oxygen atoms. A better Lewis structure would show less formal charge separation and less formal charge in general.

I should add that you should not be drawing these figures with 90 degree bond angles - i.e. with right angles. Right angles in the world of molecular geometry is relatively rare. Tetrahedral molecules such as CCl2F2 definitely do not have any 90 degree bond angles.

PClF4 ---In this you have taken Cl as the central atom ..that is wrong ..it should be P (most electropositive atom or least electronegative atom.EN (electronegativity) trend for these atoms are
P<Cl<F
Remember F never makes a double bond …

In CO32- C is the central atom and is least electronegative so negative formal charge should be on oxygen …make four bonds around carbon so that its formal charge is zero .This is done by making a double and two single bonds with three oxygens.Two oxygens which are single bonded must have three lone pairs on them with a negative formal charge .However doubly bonded oxygen is with two lone pairs and no formal charge .

In NO3- N is the central atom and is least electronegative so negative formal charge should be on oxygen …Nitrogen can have maximum four bond with 8 electrons and a formal positive charge on it.This is done by making a double and two single bonds with three oxygens.Two oxygens which are single bonded must have three lone pairs on them with a negative formal charge .However doubly bonded oxygen is with two lone pairs and no formal charge .

So while writing the lewis dot structure ..take care of the EN of the elements bonded in the structure with their formal charge and octet rule . Also remember C ,N ,F and O can never have expanded octet.

1. What is a Lewis Dot Structure?

A Lewis Dot Structure is a visual representation of the valence electrons in an atom or molecule. It shows the number of valence electrons and how they are arranged around the central atom.

2. Why are Lewis Dot Structures important in chemistry?

Lewis Dot Structures are important because they help us understand the bonding and chemical properties of molecules. They also help us predict the shape and polarity of molecules, which is important in understanding their reactivity and behavior.

3. What are common mistakes students make when drawing Lewis Dot Structures?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include all valence electrons, not following the octet rule, and incorrectly determining the central atom. Another mistake is not considering the formal charges of atoms in the structure.

4. How can I avoid mistakes when drawing Lewis Dot Structures?

Practice is key in avoiding mistakes when drawing Lewis Dot Structures. Make sure to carefully count the number of valence electrons and determine the central atom before starting. Also, double check your work and make sure all atoms have a complete octet.

5. Can Lewis Dot Structures be applied to all molecules?

Lewis Dot Structures can be applied to most molecules, but there are some exceptions. For example, molecules with an odd number of electrons or molecules with expanded octets may not follow the typical Lewis Dot Structure rules. In those cases, alternative bonding theories may be used.