L'Hospital's Rule: Understanding and Applying the Rule for Limits at Infinity

• Thread starter CeilingFan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The concept you want is "continuity", or "continuous functions". If your textbook does not have it, use Google. Basically, a function ##f(x)## is said to be continuous at ##x_0## if ##\lim_{x \to x_0} f(x) = f(x_0)##. Note that if ##f(x)## is continuous at ##x_0## and ##g(y)## is continuous at ##y_0 = f(x_0)##, then ##g(y) \to g(y_0)## as ##y \to y_0##, and ##y = f(x) \to
CeilingFan

Homework Statement

Okay, so the problem is to find lim (x→∞) (e^x + x) ^ (1/x)

I was given the solution in the assignment in which the first step was to take the natural log of the function, then exponentiate it.

i.e.

lim (x→∞) [exp ln( (e^x + x) ^ (1/x))]

which I understand.

However the next step, the solution equated this with:

exp [ lim (x→∞) ln( (e^x + x) ^ (1/x))]

which I became confused with. Are the two equal? Am I missing out on something?

This assignment we're doing l'Hospital's Rule, if that's of any help...

I probably won't be able to understand too abstract math, currently doing my first year in university...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a theorem which states that if [itex]f[/itex] is continuous then [tex]
\lim_{x \to a} f(g(x)) = f( \lim_{x \to a} g(x)).[/tex] (This implicitly asserts that either both limits exist and are equal, or neither of them exist.)

Remember that before you can apply L'Hospital's rule you must convert the function into a 0/0 or ∞/∞ form.

CeilingFan said:

Homework Statement

Okay, so the problem is to find lim (x→∞) (e^x + x) ^ (1/x)

I was given the solution in the assignment in which the first step was to take the natural log of the function, then exponentiate it.

i.e.

lim (x→∞) [exp ln( (e^x + x) ^ (1/x))]

which I understand.

However the next step, the solution equated this with:

exp [ lim (x→∞) ln( (e^x + x) ^ (1/x))]

which I became confused with. Are the two equal? Am I missing out on something?

This assignment we're doing l'Hospital's Rule, if that's of any help...

I probably won't be able to understand too abstract math, currently doing my first year in university...

Thanks.

I would do it differently: (x+e^x)^(1/x) = (a b)^c = (a^c) (b^c), where a = e^x, b = 1+ x e^(-x), and c = 1/x.

Then you still have to show x e^(-x) --> 0 for x->inf, but it is still an elegant solution as this limit was probably studied before.

pasmith said:
There is a theorem which states that if [itex]f[/itex] is continuous then [tex]
\lim_{x \to a} f(g(x)) = f( \lim_{x \to a} g(x)).[/tex] (This implicitly asserts that either both limits exist and are equal, or neither of them exist.)

Ah. All make sense now. Is there anywhere I can read up on this rule? I don't think I was taught this, unless it's derivable from what I already know. Either that or I've been a horrible student. Haha..

So it doesn't have to be a limit at infinity for this rule to hold, can be any limit right?

Also didn't know this was considered calculus... Shows that I don't even know what I'm studying.

CeilingFan said:
Ah. All make sense now. Is there anywhere I can read up on this rule? I don't think I was taught this, unless it's derivable from what I already know. Either that or I've been a horrible student. Haha..

So it doesn't have to be a limit at infinity for this rule to hold, can be any limit right?

Also didn't know this was considered calculus... Shows that I don't even know what I'm studying.

The concept you want is "continuity", or "continuous functions". If your textbook does not have it, use Google. Basically, a function ##f(x)## is said to be continuous at ##x_0## if ##\lim_{x \to x_0} f(x) = f(x_0)##. Note that if ##f(x)## is continuous at ##x_0## and ##g(y)## is continuous at ##y_0 = f(x_0)##, then ##g(y) \to g(y_0)## as ##y \to y_0##, and ##y = f(x) \to y_0 = f(x_0)## as ##x \to x_0##, so we have ##g(f(x)) \to g(f(x_0))## as ##x \to x_0##. This just needs the continuity properties of ##f## and ##g## mentioned before.

However, the less stringent result
[tex] \lim_{x \to x_0} g(f(x)) = g(\lim_{x \to x_0} f(x))[/tex]
requires weaker conditions: you need only have ##g(y)## continuous at ##y_0 = \lim_{x \to x_0} f(x)##; the function ##f(x)## need not be continuous (or even defined) at ##x = x_0##. Basically, that is the case you have, with ##x_0 = \infty##.

After that (or, maybe before that) you need to worry about the question "are my functions continuous?""

Last edited:

Related to L'Hospital's Rule: Understanding and Applying the Rule for Limits at Infinity

What is the limit of e^x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of e^x as x approaches infinity is infinity. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of e^x also gets larger and larger without bound.

What is the limit of e^x as x approaches 0?

The limit of e^x as x approaches 0 is 1. This means that as x gets closer and closer to 0, the value of e^x also gets closer and closer to 1.

What happens to the limit of e^x as x approaches negative infinity?

The limit of e^x as x approaches negative infinity is 0. This means that as x gets more and more negative, the value of e^x approaches 0 from the positive side.

Can the limit of e^x be negative?

No, the limit of e^x cannot be negative. Since e^x is always a positive number, the limit of e^x will always be positive or 0.

What is the difference between the limit of e^x and e^(lim x)?

The limit of e^x refers to the behavior of the function e^x as x approaches a certain value, while e^(lim x) refers to the value of the function e^x when the limit of x is taken. In other words, the limit of e^x is a concept, while e^(lim x) is a specific value.