Rules to apply L'Hospital on a limit

In summary: What about the case 0/0? Is this some kind of exception?No, an expansion is not an exception. It is a way to avoid the ##\frac 0 0## case in the first place.Expansions can be used in almost any limit problem... What about the case 0/0? Is this some kind of exception?No, an expansion is not an exception. It is a way to avoid the ##\frac 0 0## case in the first place.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

## \lim x-0 \frac {xcosx-log(1+x)}{x^2}##

Homework Equations

##\frac{log(1+x)}{x}=1## ...(i)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using (i) we can write numerator as xcosx-x, cancelling x from denominator we have cosx-1/x, this is 0/0 form so we can use LHR which gives us -sinx/1 but this gives an incorrect value for the limit. Is there some technicality I'm overlooking about applying LHR?

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Using (i) we can write numerator as xcosx-x, cancelling x from denominator we have cosx-1/x, this is 0/0 form so we can use LHR which gives us -sinx/1 but this gives an incorrect value for the limit. Is there some technicality I'm overlooking about applying LHR?

(i) is false. There should be a limit sign. And even then, you can't substitute a limit in another limit. Do as you are supposed to do:

take derivative of numerator and denominator and then take the limit. If necessary, repeat.

Math_QED said:
(i) is false. There should be a limit sign. And even then, you can't substitute a limit in another limit. Do as you are supposed to do:

take derivative of numerator and denominator and then take the limit. If necessary, repeat.
I have seen sinx/x taken to be one inside a larger limit, when can we use this and when not?

Math_QED said:
That is easy enough, I'm in search of quicker methods which are practical in a time bound exam

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I have seen sinx/x taken to be one inside a larger limit, when can we use this and when not?

It would be applicable if you didn't make another mistake. You split up the limits like this:

$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x\cos x - \log(1+x)}{x^2} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x}{x} - \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\log(1+x)}{x^2}$$

but this is only allowed when the two limits on the right exist, and they don't. You can't apply l'Hopital's rule on the first limit on the right, as filling ##x=0## in yields ##1/0## (and it should be ##0/0## to apply that rule).

Instead, apply l'Hopital's rule on the entire thing. Sometimes, wanting to go faster, makes you a lot slower :)

Math_QED said:
It would be applicable if you didn't make another mistake. You split up the limits like this:

$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x\cos x - \log(1+x)}{x^2} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos x}{x} - \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\log(1+x)}{x^2}$$

but this is only allowed when the two limits on the right exist, and they don't. You can't apply l'Hopital's rule on the first limit on the right, as filling ##x=0## in yields ##1/0## (and it should be ##0/0## to apply that rule).

Instead, apply l'Hopital's rule on the entire thing. Sometimes, wanting to go faster, makes you a lot slower :)
True :D I suppose that's the way to go after all. Thank you very much for your help.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Instead of writing \lim x-0, as you did above and in another thread, use \lim_{x \to 0}. When rendered this becomes ##\lim_{x \to 0}##.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If l'Hospital gives ##\frac 0 0## you need to apply it again.

Alternatively, you can expand the numerator in powers of ##x##, but you need to go to terms or at least ##x^2##; when you took ##\ln(1+x) \approx x## that was not good enough. Instead, use
$$\ln(1+x) = x - \frac 1 2 x^2 + \cdots,$$
where ##\cdots## stands for terms in ##x^3, x^4, \ldots## You can stop at ##\cos x = 1 + \cdots## because when you multiply by ##x## you will be looking at the main terms of order ##x##, and the missing terms will be of order higher than ##x^2.##

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Mark44 said:
Instead of writing \lim x-0, as you did above and in another thread, use \lim_{x \to 0}. When rendered this becomes ##\lim_{x \to 0}##.
Oh right, thank you for informing me of the correct way to write it.

Ray Vickson said:

Alternatively, you can expand the numerator in powers of ##x##, but you need to go to terms or at least ##x^2##; when you took ##\ln(1+x) \approx x## that was not good enough. Instead, use
where ##\cdots## stands for terms in ##x^3, x^4, \ldots## You can stop at ##\cos x = 1 + \cdots## because when you multiply by ##x## you will be looking at the main terms of order ##x##, and the missing terms will be of order higher than ##x^2.##
Expansions can be used in almost any limit problem I see but there are about ten standard functions and all their expansions are so similar that it's easy to mix them up and end up with a negative in an exam

Ray Vickson said:

Do you have some sort of mnemonic device though? That'd be really helpful

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

L-Hopital is one of those things some get carried away with while others remember some simple corollaries and tricks using things like the Gamma function to do it. I tend to be a bit in between and remember a few simple corollaries - but when asked to be explicit write it out in full. The easiest corollary to remember is any polynomial divided by e^(αx) will be 0. Its like that in many areas of math - some like to remember simple 'tricks', some do it from first principles. A number of math professors mentioned it to me when doing my degree - each preferred one way or the other - its purely what feels good to you.

As an example in the math challenge you had to evaluate (0 to ∞) ∫x^2*e^-αx . I wrote it out in full using L-Hopital, but using a couple of 'tricks' its dead simple. Do the change of variable x' = αx and you have 1/α^3 ∫x^2*e^-x = 1/α^3 Γ(3) = 2!/α^3 = 2/α^3. It's the kind of tricks you learn with practice, but I wouldn't put it on exam papers testing if you know this stuff.

Thanks
Bill

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I can't think of a general one off hand, but for this last one, consider differentiating the left hand side which equals ##\frac {1}{1+x}=1-x+x^2/2-....## since the lh side is a gp with ratio x , then integrate term-by-term. A bit contrived maybe, but I can remember it.

1. What is L'Hospital's rule?

L'Hospital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate the limit of an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that for functions f(x) and g(x), if the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is 0 and the limit of g(x) as x approaches a is 0 (or ∞), then the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a is equal to the limit of f'(x)/g'(x) as x approaches a, provided that the limit of the quotient exists.

2. When can L'Hospital's rule be applied?

L'Hospital's rule can only be applied when the limit of the original function takes on an indeterminate form. These forms include 0/0, ∞/∞, and 0∞. If the limit does not fall into one of these forms, L'Hospital's rule cannot be used.

3. How do you use L'Hospital's rule?

To use L'Hospital's rule, follow these steps:

1. Identify the function f(x) and g(x) in the original limit.

2. Take the derivative of both f(x) and g(x).

3. Evaluate the new limit by plugging in the original value of x.

4. If the new limit still takes on an indeterminate form, continue to take derivatives until it reaches a value that can be easily evaluated.

5. If the limit does not take on an indeterminate form after taking the derivative, the original limit does not exist.

4. Can L'Hospital's rule be applied to all limits?

No, L'Hospital's rule can only be applied to limits that take on an indeterminate form. Limits that do not result in an indeterminate form cannot be evaluated using this rule.

5. Are there any limitations to using L'Hospital's rule?

Yes, L'Hospital's rule has a few limitations. First, it can only be applied to limits that take on an indeterminate form. Second, it can only be applied to functions that are differentiable at the point of evaluation. Third, it may not always give the correct result, so it is important to check the result using other methods if possible.