Lie Group v Lie algebra representation

In summary, the conversation discusses Lie group and algebra homomorphisms and representations on vector spaces. It also touches on the difference between group and algebra representations, and the definition of a Lie algebra representation. The possibility of choosing the same vector space for both group and algebra representations is also mentioned, along with the concept of fundamental representations in the context of the classification of Lie algebra representations. The relevance of Lie algebra representations in quantum physics is briefly mentioned.
gentsagree
Hi y'all,

This is more of a maths question, however I'm confident there are some hardcore mathematical physicists out there amongst you. It's more of a curiosity, and I'm not sure how to address it to convince myself of an answer.

I have a Lie group homomorphism [itex] \rho : G \rightarrow GL(n, \mathbb{C}) \hspace{0.5cm}(1) [/itex]
and a Lie Algebra homomorphism [itex] \hat{\rho} : g \rightarrow gl(n, \mathbb{C}) \hspace{1cm}(2) [/itex]

which are the group and algebra representations on the space of nxn matrices viewed as a vector space.

Now, the difference in the images of these two maps is that in (1) it has to be a group, so formally it is defined as the group of Automorphisms on a vector space, Aut(V), whereas in (2) it has to be an algebra, and I've read somewhere this is defined formally as End(W), and seen it written as "the Lie algebra of Endomorphisms of a vector space W".

Two questions:

- How does one properly define the Lie Algebra representation? I'm not quite sure I understand what is going on with the Endomorphisms being an algebra?

- If, in my original maps above, g is the Lie algebra of G, and I rewrite the maps as

[itex] \rho : G \rightarrow Aut(V) \hspace{0.5cm}(3) [/itex]
[itex] \hat{\rho} : g \rightarrow End(W) \hspace{1cm}(4) [/itex]

What situation am I representing if I choose V=W ? Does demanding V=W output the "analogous" representation, say the fundamental of the group and the fundamental of the algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
gentsagree said:
Hi y'all,

This is more of a maths question, however I'm confident there are some hardcore mathematical physicists out there amongst you. It's more of a curiosity, and I'm not sure how to address it to convince myself of an answer.

I have a Lie group homomorphism [itex] \rho : G \rightarrow GL(n, \mathbb{C}) \hspace{0.5cm}(1) [/itex]
and a Lie Algebra homomorphism [itex] \hat{\rho} : g \rightarrow gl(n, \mathbb{C}) \hspace{1cm}(2) [/itex]

which are the group and algebra representations on the space of nxn matrices viewed as a vector space.
Right. Usually it's required for Lie Groups that the representation is analytic, too.

Now, the difference in the images of these two maps is that in (1) it has to be a group, so formally it is defined as the group of Automorphisms on a vector space, Aut(V) ...
One usually writes ##GL(V)## instead of ##Aut(V)## to emphasize the multiplication rather than linearity. ##Aut()## is more a group notation: ##Aut(G)##, e.g.

..., whereas in (2) it has to be an algebra, and I've read somewhere this is defined formally as End(W), and seen it written as "the Lie algebra of Endomorphisms of a vector space W".
Which is just ##gl(W)## or ##gl(n,ℂ)## if ##W## is an n-dimensional complex vector space. The Lie multiplication here is defined by ##[X,Y] = XY - YX##.

- How does one properly define the Lie Algebra representation? I'm not quite sure I understand what is going on with the Endomorphisms being an algebra?
A Lie algebra representation ##(V,φ)## of the Lie algebra ##L## is a Lie algebra homomorphism from ##L## into ##gl(V)##. i.e. ##φ([X,Y]) = [φ(X),φ(Y)] = φ(X)φ(Y) - φ(Y)φ(X)##.

- If, in my original maps above, g is the Lie algebra of G, and I rewrite the maps as

[itex] \rho : G \rightarrow Aut(V) \hspace{0.5cm}(3) [/itex]
[itex] \hat{\rho} : g \rightarrow End(W) \hspace{1cm}(4) [/itex]
Unusual (s.a.) but ok. ##End(W)## is more sensible here than ##Aut(V)##.

What situation am I representing if I choose V=W ?
Representations on the same vector space.

Does demanding V=W output the "analogous" representation, say the fundamental of the group and the fundamental of the algebra?
What do you mean by fundamental? There are connections between inner group automorphisms of ##G## and the adjoint representation (left multiplication) of ##g## through the exponential map.

Edit: AFAIK are the weights in the classification of Lie algebra representations, esp. the ##sl_2##, used in QFT to determine eigenstates in the SM. (I apologize if that's wrong, I'm no physicist.)

Last edited:
In physics, especially quantum physics, one speaks of representations on (complex, separable) Hilbert spaces and the connection between these morphisms is provided by Stone's theorem. Then we have subtleties of domain, continuity of representations, etc.

1. What is the difference between a Lie Group and a Lie algebra?

A Lie Group is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous group of symmetries, while a Lie algebra is a mathematical concept that describes the linearization of a Lie Group. In other words, a Lie algebra is a simpler, more manageable version of a Lie Group.

2. How are Lie Groups and Lie algebras related?

Lie Groups and Lie algebras are closely related, as Lie algebras are used to study the structure and properties of Lie Groups. In fact, each Lie Group has a corresponding Lie algebra and vice versa.

3. What is a representation of a Lie Group or Lie algebra?

A representation of a Lie Group or Lie algebra is a way of describing the elements of the group or algebra using matrices or linear transformations. This allows us to study the group or algebra through linear algebra techniques and make calculations easier.

4. How is a representation of a Lie Group or Lie algebra constructed?

A representation of a Lie Group or Lie algebra is constructed by assigning each element of the group or algebra to a specific matrix or linear transformation. The representation must preserve the group structure, meaning that the group operation must still hold for the matrices or transformations.

5. What is the significance of Lie Group and Lie algebra representations?

Lie Group and Lie algebra representations are important in many areas of mathematics and physics, as they provide a way to study and analyze the symmetries of a system. They are also used in the development of many mathematical models and theories, such as in quantum mechanics and differential geometry.