Lift equation and pressure coming out of a tube?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with a project involving attaching an air compressor to a tube and installing it on top of a solar panel to clean dust accumulation. They are looking for equations to calculate the pressure drop inside the tube, the maximum number of holes to pinch, the best distance between holes, necessary air velocity to lift dust particles, and the best tube angle. They mention using the Reynolds number for the lift equation and are attaching a photo of a similar project they made in school. They also mention a professor teaching Bernoulli's equation for lift, but NASA stating it is incorrect. They are seeking help with finding the correct equations for their project.
sam_smk
I am making a small project at home for my solar panels. I have made a similar project when I was in school but I can't remember the equations.

I want to attach an air compressor to a tube then install it on top of a solar panel, and pinch a few holes in it to clean the dust that accumulates over time over the solar.

I forgot the equation that I should be using to calculate the pressure drop inside the tube. There was also an equation that would allow me to calculate the maximum holes I can pinch to the tube and to measure the best distance between each hole. I had to make sure the air coming from the last hole would be able to reach to the bottom of the solar. Also, how do I calculate the necessary air velocity to lift the dust particles and what's the equation to get the best tube angle?

And I think I have used the lift equation to to make sure the air coming from the pipe would be able to lift the dust. Even in the last hole on the tube the air velocity should be sufficient to lift the dust

Can someone help me figure out the the equations I should be using to all the things I have mentioned? I do remember getting Reynolds number for the lift equation and that's it.

I think the most important one is the equation for the pressure drop the rest I can figure, but it would be helpful if you can add your insight on all of it.

I have attached a photo of the project when I made it in school so you can understand what I am trying to do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 8.23.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 8.23.00 PM.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I read this hurriedly, but you may be thinking of the Bernoulli's for fluid dynamics (I don't know which Bernoulli wrote it, sorry). I'm not sure what you mean by "lift" equation. Maybe my response will call more people to help. I'll try and remember to read this agian later and give it some more thought!

Also, be careful with calling Bernoulli's the lift equation. I just sat through a 200 level physics class where the professor was teaching Bernoulli's to describe lift. Simultaneously I was on my tablet reading an article from NASA as to why that is wrong. :/

What is the lift equation?

The lift equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the amount of lift generated by an object, such as an airplane, wing, or rotor. It takes into account factors such as air density, airspeed, and the shape and size of the object.

How is lift related to pressure coming out of a tube?

Lift is not directly related to pressure coming out of a tube. However, the lift equation can be applied to calculate the lift generated by a fluid, such as air, passing through a tube or duct. This can be useful in designing efficient ventilation or air conditioning systems.

What factors affect the pressure coming out of a tube?

The pressure coming out of a tube is affected by several factors, including the velocity of the fluid flowing through the tube, the diameter of the tube, and any changes in the direction of the flow. Other factors such as the fluid's viscosity and density can also play a role.

Can the lift equation be used for all types of objects?

The lift equation is most commonly used for calculating the lift of objects that are moving through a fluid, such as airplanes or helicopters. It can also be applied to other types of objects, such as sails on a boat or fins on a fish, as long as they are subject to similar aerodynamic principles.

How accurate is the lift equation?

The lift equation is a simplified model and may not account for all factors that affect lift in real-world situations. It also assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately predict lift in complex or unpredictable environments. However, it is a valuable tool for estimating lift and can provide a good starting point for further analysis or design.