Lift generated by a flapping wing.

• Thread starter risha99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift
In summary: I never heard the word flapping applied to helicopter rotors before. But a google for that shows that you're correct. Well in fairness, it's a different kind of "flapping". :wink:
risha99
Hi. I am trying to find an estimate for the lift generated by a flapping wing. For this scenario, we can assume that the wing has an AoA ranging from -45 deg to 45 deg. Also, we can ignore the lift generated by the upstroke because, for this specific wing design, a majority of the lift is generated during the downstroke. Ideally, my goal is to find what flapping frequency the wing would have to operate at to achieve a required amount of lift. I am having trouble in finding where to start. If anyone has any suggestions or useful resources, that would be awesome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I hope those links lead you to the information you need. Don't forget that flapping wings must provide forward/backward thrust as well as lift. Birds other than hummingbirds usually don't hover.

anorlunda said:
I hope those links lead you to the information you need. Don't forget that flapping wings must provide forward/backward thrust as well as lift. Birds other than hummingbirds usually don't hover.

That's not entirely accurate. Flapping wings are also common in helicopter rotors, which don't provide thrust in quite the same way as a bird (I'm sure I probably didn't actually have to type that last part).

boneh3ad said:
Flapping wings are also common in helicopter rotors,
Thanks for that. I learned. I never heard the word flapping applied to helicopter rotors before. But a google for that shows that you're correct.

anorlunda said:
Thanks for that. I learned. I never heard the word flapping applied to helicopter rotors before. But a google for that shows that you're correct.

Why not do an ornithoptercopter ?

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
I never heard the word flapping applied to helicopter rotors before
Well in fairness, it's a different kind of "flapping". :wink:

What is lift generated by a flapping wing?

Lift generated by a flapping wing is the upward force that is created by the motion of a wing through the air. This force is what allows birds, insects, and other flying creatures to stay airborne.

How is lift generated by a flapping wing?

Lift is generated by a flapping wing through a combination of aerodynamic principles, such as Bernoulli's principle and Newton's third law of motion. As the wing moves through the air, it creates areas of high and low pressure, which results in an upward force.

What factors affect the amount of lift generated by a flapping wing?

The amount of lift generated by a flapping wing is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the wing, the speed and angle of the wing's motion, and the density and viscosity of the air. Other factors, such as air temperature and humidity, can also affect lift.

How does the angle of attack affect lift generated by a flapping wing?

The angle of attack, which is the angle between the wing and the direction of the airflow, plays a crucial role in lift generation. As the angle of attack increases, so does the lift force. However, if the angle of attack is too high, the wing may stall, causing a decrease in lift.

Can lift be generated by a flapping wing in a non-uniform flow?

Yes, lift can still be generated by a flapping wing in a non-uniform flow. In fact, the motion of the wing through the air can actually help to create a more uniform flow, which can increase the efficiency of lift generation. This is known as dynamic soaring and is commonly used by birds and other flying creatures to conserve energy during flight.