Light Diffraction physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to disperse visible light over a 30-degree spread at the first order using a diffraction equation. The difference between the diffraction angles for 400 nm and 700 nm must be 30°, but the exact angles cannot be determined without knowing the spacing. The conversation suggests using a diffraction equation to solve for the angles and then subtracting them to find the desired spread.
Tkdmaster
Homework Statement
You have project in your physics class to build a diffraction grating. The key component is that you need to disperse visible light over a 30-degress spread at the first order. Visible light has a range of 400-700nm. How many lines per mm do you need for your diffraction grating?
Relevant Equations
mλ =dsin(Θ)
Been trying to figure this problem out for a couple hours now, if i use 400 nm into the equation it comes out to 800: 400=sin(30). If i do 700 nm it comes out to 1400: 700=sin(30).

I feel like i’m doing somethingwrong with the problem but i can’t figure out what.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to disperse visible light over a 30-degress spread at the first order
This means that the difference between the diffraction angles for 400 nm and 700 nm needs to be 30°, not that either of those angles needs to be 30°. For example (just making up numbers here!) you might end up with something like θ = 22° for λ = 400 nm and θ = 52° for λ = 700 nm, for a spread of 52° - 22° = 30°.

The thing is though, i don't know how to determine what those angles would be.

Tkdmaster said:
The thing is though, i don't know how to determine what those angles would be.
Suppose you choose a spacing d. Through what angles will the extremes of visible light be diffracted (to the first order)?

Call the extreme wavelengths ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2##. They diffract through angles ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2##. Can you write an equation that gives the spread in angles, ##\theta_2 - \theta_1##, in terms of ##\lambda_1##, ##\lambda_2##, and ##d##? That is, ##\theta_2 - \theta_1 = \cdots##

Like 700-400=dsin(theta2-theta1)?

No, you can't do it by simply substituting ##\theta_2 - \theta_1## for ##\theta##, and ##\lambda_2 - \lambda_1## for ##\lambda##.

Start with your diffraction equation ##\lambda = d \sin \theta##. Solve it (rearrange it) to get a new equation ##\theta = \cdots##.

Now, using your numbers, you actually have two of these equations: ##\theta_1 = \cdots## and ##\theta_2 = \cdots##. Subtract one from the other to get ##\theta_2 - \theta_1 = \cdots## with ##d## somewhere on the right-hand side.

Related to Light Diffraction physics problem

1. What is light diffraction?

Light diffraction is a phenomenon in which light waves bend and spread out as they pass through a small opening or around an obstacle. This results in a pattern of light and dark bands called a diffraction pattern.

2. How does light diffraction work?

Light diffraction occurs because light behaves like a wave. When light encounters an obstacle or opening, it diffracts or bends around it, causing the wavefronts to interfere with each other and create the diffraction pattern.

3. What factors affect the diffraction of light?

The amount of diffraction of light depends on several factors, including the size of the opening or obstacle, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the source of light and the object causing the diffraction. In general, shorter wavelengths and smaller openings lead to more significant diffraction effects.

4. What are some real-life applications of light diffraction?

Light diffraction is essential in many scientific and technological fields. It is used in microscopy to improve resolution, in spectroscopy to analyze the composition of materials, and in fiber optics to transmit signals. It also plays a role in photography, holography, and the design of optical instruments.

5. Can light diffraction be observed without specialized equipment?

Yes, light diffraction can be observed without specialized equipment. For example, the diffraction of light can be seen when looking at a bright light source through a thin slit or when viewing the pattern of light on a CD or DVD. However, to observe more precise and complex diffraction patterns, specialized equipment such as a diffraction grating or laser is needed.