Light Greetings: Understanding UV Light & Zinc Electron Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of photoelectric equation and how it applies to electrons in a metal. The equation states that the kinetic energy of electrons released by ultraviolet light is equal to the energy of the light minus a threshold energy. However, this equality only applies to surface electrons, while nonsurface electrons have less kinetic energy. The conversation also includes a brief explanation of energy levels and how they correspond to different momentum and quantum mechanics. An example is given to illustrate this concept.
BRIX
Greetings. I am in part-time studies for my undergraduate I am taking physics for the first time.

I am completely overwhelmed and am having a hard time of finding answers to the textbook questions in the textbook itself. The current question I am stumped in is:

Suppose zinc is illuminated with ultraviolet light of a single frequency, for example. f= 1.5f threshold. Why might some electrons emerge with less energy than "maximum energy of electron after escape?"

I appreciate any help and or guidance.

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein's Photoelectric equation is

KE ≤ E - W0

Where the equality holds only for surface electrons. For the nonsurface electrons KE < E - W0.

The electrons in the metal do not all have the same energy.
Does that help?

@darkxponent: There are no "surface electrons" in the way you describe them.

mfb said:
@darkxponent: There are no "surface electrons" in the way you describe them.

So in what way do i describe surface electrons? I studied them this way only, that the electrons at the surface need least energy to be separated because there potential energy less negative than any other electron.

I appreciate the quick response. Can you give me an example or a bit more info so that I can fully understand (if you have time).

darkxponent said:
So in what way do i describe surface electrons? I studied them this way only, that the electrons at the surface need least energy to be separated because there potential energy less negative than any other electron.
The relevant energy levels of electrons in metals all correspond to delocalized electrons. Their different energy levels just come from their different momentum and some additional quantum mechanics (band structure).

@BRIX: Simple example: There are some electrons which need 1 eV of energy to get released, some electrons which need 2 eV, electrons which need some energy between that and so on. If you give all those electrons the same energy, they will have different energies afterwards (the same difference as before).

Thank you!

What is UV light?

UV light, or ultraviolet light, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that falls within the invisible spectrum of light. It has a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light.

How does UV light affect our skin?

UV light can damage the DNA in our skin cells, leading to sunburn, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. It can also suppress our immune system and cause eye damage.

What is zinc electron energy?

Zinc electron energy refers to the amount of energy needed to remove an electron from an atom of zinc. This energy varies depending on the electron's position within the atom and can be affected by external factors such as UV light.

How is UV light used in technology?

UV light is used in a variety of technology, including sterilization of medical equipment, curing of certain types of adhesives and coatings, and for photocatalytic reactions in air and water purification systems.

What are some ways to protect against UV light?

Some ways to protect against UV light include wearing sunscreen, seeking shade, wearing protective clothing, and using sunglasses with UV protection. It is also important to limit sun exposure during peak UV hours (10am-4pm).