Light Through Vacuum? Exploring the Possibility

• Thread starter john101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of light in a hollow sphere with reflective surfaces and raises questions about the nature of light and its interaction with the electromagnetic field. It is concluded that the amount of light entering the sphere will affect the rate at which it dissipates, and if the light is injected faster than it can be drained, it could result in the melting or vaporization of the mirrors.
john101
I asked myself this question : If you have a hollow sphere with reflective surface on the inside and send light into it what happens to the light? and found a number of places where the question has been asked and answered.

One answer : talked about electro magnetic field being everywhere even in vacuum before any light travels through it and went on to talk about the nature of light. This led me to another question.

If light is sent off through vacuum space to another point, is it possible to detect that light from a point not inline with the path of light? Does the light 'disturb' the electro magnetic field in a way that's detectable?

I have only high school physics from 40 years ago but I try to understand. I have no doubt that I use the wrong terms and concepts to formulate the question.

Science news on Phys.org
In real life, it will bounce back and forth a few thousand times before being dissipated to nothing. If you assume perfect reflectivity, it would bounce back and forth forever.

For the second question; light is only detectable when it hits a detector. You cannot detect it otherwise.

Thank you.

What happens if the sphere is very cold or very hot?

edit add: what if you send light into the sphere faster than it dissipates?

Last edited:
john101 said:
What happens if the sphere is very cold or very hot?

not sure how much heat or coolness of the material would affect absorption ?

you need to understand that any object above 0 K (zero Kelvin) is radiating EM
john101 said:
edit add: what if you send light into the sphere faster than it dissipates?

faster ? ... EM has a fixed speed in a given meduium

What I mean is if the amount of light entering the sphere is greater than the rate at which it dissipates. Even that sound a bit odd but surely what I'm trying to say is clear.?

john101 said:
what if you send light into the sphere faster than it dissipates?
Typically, a mirrored wall will absorb some percentage of the inbound light and reflect the rest. Accordingly, if you send in more light, the dissipation will increase in proportion. Ultimately, 100% of the incoming light will be lost regardless of how perfect the mirrors are, how they are angled or how fast you inject light into the enclosure. Inject more light and you lose more at each bounce. Improve the mirrors so that less is lost at each bounce and you get more bounces.

Of course, If you inject light faster than you can drain heat from the mirrors as the light is absorbed, you will eventually melt or vaporize the mirrors.

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is a type of energy that travels in waves and can be described as both a particle and a wave.

2. How does light travel through a vacuum?

In a vacuum, light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is known as the speed of light and is one of the fundamental constants of the universe.

3. Can light be seen in a vacuum?

No, light cannot be seen in a vacuum because there are no particles for it to interact with. However, light can be seen when it enters a medium such as air, water, or glass where it can interact with particles and change direction.

4. What is the possibility of light traveling through a vacuum?

The possibility of light traveling through a vacuum is 100%. As long as there is no obstruction, light will continue to travel in a straight line at a constant speed.

5. Can light travel through other mediums besides a vacuum?

Yes, light can travel through other mediums besides a vacuum. As mentioned before, light can travel through air, water, and glass, as well as other transparent materials. It can also travel through some opaque materials, but its speed and direction may be affected.