Light Waves & Double-Slit Experiment Question .

In summary, the conversation discusses a question given by a professor about the interference pattern that would occur if one slit is illuminated with light of wavelength 400 nm and the other slit is illuminated with light of wavelength 750 nm. The person speaking initially believes that there would be little to no interference due to the incoherence of the sources, but another person adds that there could be single slit diffraction.
aehardin
Light Waves & Double-Slit Experiment Question...

Our professor gave us an extra credit question on our last quiz & every single student got it wrong, all 150 of us! Anyways, here is the question, if you know the answer that would be greatly appreciated. Here is the question:

Describe in as much detail as possible the interference pattern that would
appear if one slit was illuminated with light of wavelength 400 nm and the
other slit was illuminated with light of wavelength 750 nm.

I thought that little if no interference would occur because the two lights are out of phase because they are incoherent sources, but I guess I was wrong! Help please...

Physics news on Phys.org
aehardin said:
Our professor gave us an extra credit question on our last quiz & every single student got it wrong, all 150 of us! Anyways, here is the question, if you know the answer that would be greatly appreciated. Here is the question:

Describe in as much detail as possible the interference pattern that would
appear if one slit was illuminated with light of wavelength 400 nm and the
other slit was illuminated with light of wavelength 750 nm.

I thought that little if no interference would occur because the two lights are out of phase because they are incoherent sources, but I guess I was wrong! Help please...

I agree there will be no DOUBLE slit diffraction due to the different wavelenghts, but there IS such a thing as SINGLE slit diffraction.

-Dan

Hello,

First of all, it is not uncommon for all students to get a question wrong on a quiz. It is a learning opportunity and I'm glad you are seeking help to understand the concept better.

Now, onto the question. The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave nature of light. When a beam of light passes through two parallel slits, it creates a pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slits. This is known as an interference pattern.

In this case, we have two different wavelengths of light, 400 nm and 750 nm, illuminating the two slits. The wavelength of light determines the spacing between the fringes in the interference pattern. So, if one slit is illuminated with 400 nm light and the other with 750 nm light, the fringes will be spaced differently.

At the point where the two beams of light overlap, they will interfere with each other. This means that the peaks of one beam will overlap with the peaks of the other beam, creating a bright fringe. Similarly, the troughs of one beam will overlap with the troughs of the other beam, creating a dark fringe.

Since the two wavelengths are different, the spacing between the bright and dark fringes will also be different. This will result in a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes, with the fringes becoming closer together as you move away from the center.

To summarize, the interference pattern in this scenario will consist of alternating bright and dark fringes, with the fringes becoming closer together as you move away from the center. This is due to the different wavelengths of light interfering with each other. I hope this helps you understand the concept better. Feel free to ask any further questions.

Related to Light Waves & Double-Slit Experiment Question .

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double-slit experiment relate to light waves?

The double-slit experiment shows that light behaves as both a wave and a particle. When passed through the slits, the light waves interfere with each other, creating a pattern on the screen. This interference pattern can only be explained by waves, but at the same time, individual particles of light, called photons, are also hitting the screen, proving the particle nature of light.

3. Why is the double-slit experiment important?

The double-slit experiment is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of light and its behavior. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, which has revolutionized our understanding of the physical world.

4. Can the double-slit experiment be performed with other types of waves?

Yes, the double-slit experiment can be performed with any type of wave, not just light waves. It has been conducted with water waves, sound waves, and even electron waves, all producing similar interference patterns.

5. How does the double-slit experiment impact our everyday lives?

The double-slit experiment has led to the development of many technologies that we use in our daily lives, such as lasers, LEDs, and fiber optics. It also has important applications in fields such as medicine, telecommunications, and quantum computing.