Likelihood of the maximum of a parabola

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the likelihood of a quadratic regression model with a prior distribution, given only the extremum of the parabola. Several approaches are mentioned, including using Bayes' theorem and performing a change of variables for conditional variables. The conversation also mentions the more challenging and general problem of calculating the likelihood of the global maximum of a non-linear regression model, for which there is no closed form expression. Finally, there is a discussion about notation and assumptions about priors.
dIndy
I have a quadratic regression model ##y = ax^2 + bx + c + \text{noise}##. I also have a prior distribution ##p(a,b,c) = p(a)p(b)p(c)##. What I need to calculate is the likelihood of the data given solely the extremum of the parabola (in my case a maximum) ##x_{max} = M = -\frac{b}{2a}##. What I tried so far is:

$$p(y|M) = \int p(y|M,b,c)p(b,c|M)\,dbdc$$

I would like to rewrite this as a function of ##p(y|a,b,c)## and ##p(b,c|a) = p(b,c)##, substituting ##a## for ##M##. However, I'm not sure how to perform a change of variables for conditional variables.

What I've also tried is using Bayes' theorem to rewrite the likelihood:
$$p(y|M) = \frac{p(y)p(M|y)}{p(M)} = \frac{p(y)\int p(M,b,c|y)\,dbdc}{\int p(M,b,c)\,dbdc} $$
Then performing the substitution for ##M##:
$$ \frac{p(y)\int p(a,b,c|y)\det(J)\,dbdc}{\int p(a,b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}$$
Using Bayes' theorem again:
$$ \frac{\int p(y|a,b,c)p(a,b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}{\int p(a,b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc} = \frac{\int p(y|a,b,c)p(b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}{\int p(b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}$$

Can this be simplified further?

I've also got a far more challenging and general problem:

Given a non-linear regression model ## y_i = f(\theta,x_i) + \text{noise}##, with ##\theta## the vector of unknown parameters and ##x_i## the vector of dependent variables. I want to calculate the likelihood of the global maximum of ##f##. The problem here is that there is no closed form expression for ##x_{max}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
dIndy said:
I have a quadratic regression model ##y = ax^2 + bx + c + \text{noise}##. I also have a prior distribution ##p(a,b,c) = p(a)p(b)p(c)##. What I need to calculate is the likelihood of the data given solely the extremum of the parabola (in my case a maximum) ##x_{max} = M = -\frac{b}{2a}##. What I tried so far is:

I would like to rewrite this as a function of ##p(y|a,b,c)## and ##p(b,c|a) = p(b,c)##, substituting ##a## for ##M##. However, I'm not sure how to perform a change of variables for conditional variables.

What I've also tried is using Bayes' theorem to rewrite the likelihood:
$$p(y|M) = \frac{p(y)p(M|y)}{p(M)} = \frac{p(y)\int p(M,b,c|y)\,dbdc}{\int p(M,b,c)\,dbdc} $$
Then performing the substitution for ##M##:
$$ \frac{p(y)\int p(a,b,c|y)\det(J)\,dbdc}{\int p(a,b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}$$
Using Bayes' theorem again:
$$ \frac{\int p(y|a,b,c)p(a,b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}{\int p(a,b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc} = \frac{\int p(y|a,b,c)p(b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}{\int p(b,c)\det(J)\,dbdc}$$

Can this be simplified further?

I've also got a far more challenging and general problem:

Given a non-linear regression model ## y_i = f(\theta,x_i) + \text{noise}##, with ##\theta## the vector of unknown parameters and ##x_i## the vector of dependent variables. I want to calculate the likelihood of the global maximum of ##f##. The problem here is that there is no closed form expression for ##x_{max}##.
It seems to me that you need a pdf ##f_{\frac{-b}{2a}}(M)## for ##M##. Given pdfs for a for b, I think you could derive the pdf for ##M## as a convolution. Something like ##p(M = \frac{-b}{2a}) = p(2aM + b = 0) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} p(a=\frac x {2M}) p(b = t-x)dx|_{t=0}##.

Last edited:
dIndy said:
. What I tried so far is:

It will be confusing if you use the notatiion ##p(...)## to denote both "probability of" and also a probability density function evaluated somewhere.

For example, using the notation ##p_X()## to denote the probability density function of the random variable ##X## we can write
##p_M(m) = \int p_A(a) p_B( -2am)\ da##. I don't know how you would write that using your notation.

Can we assume your priors assign zero probability to the case a=0?

1. What is the likelihood of the maximum of a parabola occurring at the vertex?

The likelihood of the maximum of a parabola occurring at the vertex is 100%. This is because by definition, the vertex is the highest point on the parabola and therefore represents the maximum value of the function.

2. Can the maximum of a parabola occur at any other point besides the vertex?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum of a parabola to occur at a point other than the vertex. This can happen if the parabola is transformed or shifted in some way, such as by adding a constant to the function or changing the coefficient of the x^2 term.

3. How can I determine the likelihood of the maximum of a parabola given its equation?

The likelihood of the maximum of a parabola can be determined by looking at the coefficients in its equation. The coefficient of the x^2 term indicates the direction of the parabola, and the constant term affects the height of the parabola. By analyzing these values, you can determine the likelihood of the maximum occurring at the vertex or at another point.

4. Is there a way to calculate the exact likelihood of the maximum of a parabola?

Yes, the exact likelihood of the maximum of a parabola can be calculated by using the derivative of the function. The derivative will give the slope of the tangent line at any given point, and the maximum will occur when the slope is 0. By setting the derivative equal to 0 and solving for x, you can find the exact likelihood of the maximum occurring at that point.

5. Can the likelihood of the maximum of a parabola change?

Yes, the likelihood of the maximum of a parabola can change if the function is transformed or shifted. As mentioned before, this can happen by changing the coefficients or adding a constant to the function. Additionally, the likelihood can also change if the parabola intersects with other functions, creating a new maximum point at the intersection.