Limit , circular orbit ,schwarzschild s-t ,

In summary, when taking ##lim J \to \infty##, the two roots of ##r_c## in this case are obtained by avoiding imaginary solutions, given by ##J^4 \geq 12G^2M^2J^2##. When writing ##r_c= \frac{J^2 \pm \sqrt{J^4}\sqrt{1-\frac{12G^2M^2}{J^2}}}{2GM}##, as ##J \to \infty##, the last term vanishes and for the + root, we get ##\frac{J^2}{
binbagsss

Homework Statement

[/B]
To take the ##lim J \to \infty ##, what are the two roots of ##r_c## in this case...

So I believe it says' ##J## big enough it had 2 solutions' is basically saying just avoiding the imaginary solutions i.e. ## J^4 \geq 12G^2M^2J^2 ## (equality for one route obvs).

Homework Equations

see attachment
largej.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I believe it says' ##J## big enough it had 2 solutions' is basically saying just avoiding the imaginary solutions i.e. ## J^4 \geq 12G^2M^2J^2 ## (equality for one route obvs).

If I write it as

##r_c= \frac{J^2 \pm \sqrt{J^4}\sqrt{1-\frac{12G^2M^2}{J^2}}}{2GM}##

then as ##J \to \infty ## the last term vanishes and for the + root clearly get ## \frac{J^2}{GM} ## , the first given in 3.48.

However for the - root I would get ##0##. I have no idea how to get ##3GM## , do I need to do some sort of expansion?

Many thanks

Attachments

• largej.png
    largej.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
To take the ##lim J \to \infty ##, what are the two roots of ##r_c## in this case...

Homework Equations

see attachment
View attachment 234850

The Attempt at a Solution

If I write it as

##r_c= \frac{J^2 \pm \sqrt{J^4}\sqrt{1-\frac{12G^2M^2}{J^2}}}{2GM}##

then as ##J \to \infty ## the last term vanishes and for the + root clearly get ## \frac{J^2}{GM} ## , the first given in 3.48.

However for the - root I would get ##0##. I have no idea how to get ##3GM## , do I need to do some sort of expansion?

Many thanks

Yes, you need to expand the square-root, using ##\sqrt{1-\epsilon} \approx 1 - \frac{\epsilon}{2} + ...##

1. What is a limit in the context of physics?

A limit in physics refers to the maximum or minimum value of a physical quantity that can be reached or approached. It is often used to describe the boundaries or constraints within which a system or process operates.

2. What is a circular orbit?

A circular orbit is a path of a body in which it moves around another body in a circular path, maintaining a constant distance from the center. In physics, it is often used to describe the motion of planets around the sun or satellites around a planet.

3. What is the Schwarzschild spacetime?

The Schwarzschild spacetime is a mathematical model used to describe the gravitational field around a spherically symmetric mass. It is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity and is often used to study the behavior of massive objects such as stars and black holes.

4. What does the "s-t" in Schwarzschild s-t stand for?

The "s-t" in Schwarzschild s-t stands for "space-time," which is a mathematical concept used to describe the 4-dimensional continuum of the universe. In the context of Schwarzschild s-t, it refers to the coordinates used in the Schwarzschild spacetime to describe the curvature of space and time caused by a massive object.

5. How does the Schwarzschild s-t affect the behavior of light?

The Schwarzschild s-t describes the curvature of space and time caused by a massive object, which affects the behavior of light. In this spacetime, light follows a curved path around the massive object, rather than traveling in a straight line. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, is one of the effects of Einstein's theory of general relativity.