Limit (L'hopitals) trig functions

In summary, L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits involving trigonometric functions. It can be used when other methods, such as algebraic manipulation, cannot be applied. It can be used for any trigonometric function, including inverse trigonometric functions, but has limitations in that it can only be used for limits approaching 0 or infinity and the function must be differentiable at the point of evaluation. To apply L'Hopital's rule, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function and evaluate the limit of the quotient of the derivatives.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

use l'hopital's to evaluate the limit.

Homework Equations

limit (∅->0) ∅-3sin∅cos ∅
--------------------
tan∅- ∅

The Attempt at a Solution

i take the derivatives of the top and bottom, and use trig identity for sec^2x - 1 to tan^x.
i get 6(cosx)^2 annd get the value of 6. but the answer is -∞.

6(sinx)^2
----------
(tanx)^2

6(cosx)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

use l'hopital's to evaluate the limit.

Homework Equations

Code:
limit  (∅->0)        ∅-3sin∅cos ∅
                   --------------------
                        tan∅- ∅

The Attempt at a Solution

i take the derivatives of the top and bottom, and use trig identity for sec^2x - 1 to tan^x.
i get 6(cosx)^2 annd get the value of 6. but the answer is -∞.

6(sinx)^2
----------
(tanx)^2

6(cosx)^2
What is the derivative of -3sin(θ)cos(θ) ? (It's not 6 sin2(θ) . )

The same fraction, but easier to read with LaTeX:
$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x-3\sin(x)\cos(x)}{\tan(x)-x}$$

SammyS said:

those values were actually taking out of a solution manual, but i can check again.

SammyS said:

using the product rule:

-3( (cosx)^2 - (sinx)^2 ) == cos2x

which means:

1-3(cos2x)
------------
(tanx)^2further:1-(3/2)sin(2x)
-----------------
2tanx * (secx)^2

i'm still not getting to -infinity, and it seems to be getting complicated in the denominator.

Last edited:
whatlifeforme said:
using the product rule:

-3( (cosx)^2 - (sinx)^2 ) == cos2x

which means:

1-3(cos2x)
------------
(tanx)^2

further:

1-(3/2)sin(2x)
-----------------
2tanx * (secx)^2

i'm still not getting to -infinity, and it seems to be getting complicated in the denominator.
Yes, using the product rule, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{d}{dx}\left(\sin(xcos(x)\right)=\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)\ \ [/itex] and that's equal to [itex]\ \cos(2x)\ .\ [/itex]

So, you have [itex]\displaystyle \ \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x-3\sin(x)\cos(x)}{\tan(x)-x}= \lim_{x \to 0}\,\frac{1-3\cos(2x)}{\tan^2(x)}\,,\ [/itex] which is not of indeterminate form, and gives the result you're looking for.

Related to Limit (L'hopitals) trig functions

1. What is the L'Hopital's rule for trigonometric functions?

The L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits involving trigonometric functions. It states that if the limit of a function is indeterminate (such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity), then the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of the numerator and denominator will be the same as the limit of the original function.

2. When should I use L'Hopital's rule for trigonometric limits?

L'Hopital's rule should be used when the limit of a trigonometric function cannot be solved using other methods, such as algebraic manipulation or substitution. It is also useful when the function involves trigonometric identities that make it difficult to evaluate the limit directly.

3. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for all trigonometric functions?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be applied to any trigonometric function, whether it is a single trigonometric function or a combination of multiple trigonometric functions. It can also be used for limits involving inverse trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's rule for trigonometric functions?

One limitation of L'Hopital's rule for trigonometric functions is that it can only be used for limits that approach either 0 or infinity. It cannot be used for limits that approach a constant value. Additionally, the function must be differentiable at the point where the limit is being evaluated.

5. How do I apply L'Hopital's rule for trigonometric limits?

To apply L'Hopital's rule for trigonometric limits, first determine if the limit is indeterminate (such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity). Then, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function. Finally, evaluate the limit of the quotient of the derivatives. If the original limit is still indeterminate, the process can be repeated until the limit is no longer indeterminate.