Solving Limits with Trig Functions

• Thread starter TommG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, The conversation discusses the difficulty in solving limits with trigonometric functions and the use of the equation limθ→0 sinθ/θ = 1. The speaker explains their attempt at solving the problem and mentions the importance of recognizing the value of cosx as x approaches zero. The conversation concludes with a discussion on whether x/sinx also equals 1 and the speaker's experience with students getting marked down for omitting a step.
TommG
I am having trouble solving limits with trig functions.

limx→0 x+xcosx/sinxcosx

useful equation limθ→0 sinθ/θ = 1

my attempt

x+xcosx/sinxcosx

x/sinxcosx + xcosx/sinxcosx

x/sinx*1/cosx + x/sinx this is where I am getting stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer is right in front of you.

As x approaches zero then what is the value of cosx?

and you have the sinx/x as x approaches zero so everything is there for you

jedishrfu said:
the answer is right in front of you.

As x approaches zero then what is the value of cosx?

and you have the sinx/x as x approaches zero so everything is there for you

Does x/sinx = 1 also?

I thought sinx had to be in the numerator for it to = 1

TommG said:
Does x/sinx = 1 also?

I thought sinx had to be in the numerator for it to = 1

Technically, you're right. But note that if ##x\neq 0##, then ##\frac{x}{\sin x}=\frac{1}{\frac{\sin x}{x}}##, and you have something to which you can apply your limit law for ratios.

So I guess technically you're not right (with regard to the value of the limit), but it's good to be skeptical. I had some students a year or so ago that got marked down (per a grading rubric that was not mine) for omitting the step that I showed.

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions used in solving limits?

The basic trigonometric functions used in solving limits are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are based on the ratios of sides in a right triangle and can be used to solve limits involving angles.

2. How do I use trigonometric identities to solve limits?

Trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and make them easier to solve for limits. These identities can also be used to convert trigonometric functions into other forms, such as using sine and cosine to represent tangent.

3. Can I use the squeeze theorem to solve limits with trigonometric functions?

Yes, the squeeze theorem can be used to solve limits involving trigonometric functions. This theorem states that if a function is squeezed between two other functions that have the same limit, then the middle function will also have the same limit. This can be applied to trigonometric functions by using trigonometric identities to manipulate the functions into a form that can be squeezed.

4. How do I determine if a limit involving trigonometric functions is indeterminate?

To determine if a limit involving trigonometric functions is indeterminate, you can try to evaluate the limit directly. If the result is undefined, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, then the limit is indeterminate. Other methods, such as L'Hôpital's rule, can also be used to determine if a limit is indeterminate.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving limits with trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving limits with trigonometric functions. These include limits involving infinity, limits involving trigonometric functions with different arguments, and limits involving trigonometric functions with different powers. In these cases, special techniques, such as using trigonometric identities or substitution, may be necessary to solve the limit.