Limit of a sequence on a metric space

In summary: First, consider ##n_0## : ##d(s_n,x)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{4}## for all ##n\geq n_0##.Now, I know that ##d(x_n,s) \to d(x,s)## for every ##s \in D##. Then, there exists ##n_1## such that for all ##n\geq n_1##, ##|(d(x_n,s)-d(x,s)|<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}## for all ##s \in D##. This means ##d(x_n,s
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##(X,d)## be a metric space and let ##D \subset X## a dense subset of ##X##. Suppose that given ##\{x_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N} \subset X## there is ##x \in X## such that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}d(x_n,s)=d(x,s)## for every ##s \in D##. Prove that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n=x##.

The attempt at a solution.

What I did was:
Let ##\epsilon>0##
##d(x_n,x)\leq d(x_n,s)+d(s,x)##. For each ##n \in \mathbb N## I know there is ##s \in D## such that ##d(x_n,s)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}##. But, this doesn't say anything, I don't know how find the ##N \in \mathbb N## such that for all ##n\geq N##, ##d(x_n,s)+d(s,x)\leq \epsilon##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know that D is dense in X. So, either:

x [itex]\in[/itex] D (in which case the result follows)

or

There is a sequence in D converging to x.

Can you take it from there?

It's a bit tricky, this one!

Likes 1 person
PeroK said:
You know that D is dense in X. So, either:

x [itex]\in[/itex] D (in which case the result follows)

or

There is a sequence in D converging to x.

Can you take it from there?

It's a bit tricky, this one!

I'll give it another try with your suggestion:

As ##D## is dense in ##X##, there is a sequence ##\{s_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## such that ##s_n \to x## when ##n \to \infty##.

By the triangle inequality,
##0\leq d(x_n,x)\leq d(x_n,s_n)+d(s_n, x)##. Again I have problems, because now I know that for a given ##\epsilon##, I can pick ##n_0## : for all ##n\geq n_0 \space## ##d(s_n,x)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}##, but how can I control the distance ##d(x_n,s_n)##?

mahler1 said:
how can I control the distance ##d(x_n,s_n)##?

You know something about ##d(x_n,s_m)## for any m. By choosing the same subscript for the two sequences, you boxed yourself in a bit!

PeroK said:
You know something about ##d(x_n,s_m)## for any m. By choosing the same subscript for the two sequences, you boxed yourself in a bit!

Sure, thanks for the help.

First, consider ##n_0## : ##d(s_n,x)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{4}## for all ##n\geq n_0##.

Now, I know that ##d(x_n,s) \to d(x,s)## for every ##s \in D##. Then, there exists ##n_1## such that for all ##n\geq n_1##, ##|(d(x_n,s)-d(x,s)|<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}## for all ##s \in D##. This means ##d(x_n,s)<\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}+d(x,s)## for all ##s \in D## and for all ##n\geq n_1##.

If this inequality holds for every element in ##D##, in particular, it holds for every ##s_n \in \{s_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}##. If I choose ##N=\max\{n_0,n_1\}##, then, for all ##n\geq N##, ##0\leq d(x_n,s)\leq d(x_n,s_n)+d(s_n,x)<2d(s_n,x)+\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}<2\dfrac{\epsilon}{4}+\dfrac{\epsilon}{2}=\epsilon##.

You've got the right idea, but you definitely need to use different subscripts for the two sequences. You've got a moving target for the convergence of d(x_n, s_n). Do you see the slight problem with what you've got?

It's also a good idea in general, because when you have two sequence like this, you don't always want to compare x_n with s_n. You want to fix a given member of s: s_m, say, and then consider the sequence d(x_n, s_m) as n →∞

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence on a metric space?

The limit of a sequence on a metric space is a point that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to as the sequence progresses. This point is unique and is denoted by lim(x_n) or lim n->infinity x_n. In other words, as the index of the sequence approaches infinity, the terms of the sequence will get closer and closer to the limit point.

2. How is the limit of a sequence on a metric space different from the limit of a sequence on a real line?

The limit of a sequence on a real line is defined as a real number that the terms of the sequence approach as the index of the sequence approaches infinity. This is similar to the definition of a limit on a metric space, however, the main difference is that a metric space can have multiple dimensions and can have a more complex structure, while a real line only has one dimension.

3. Can a sequence have more than one limit on a metric space?

No, a sequence can only have one limit on a metric space. This is because the limit is a unique point that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to as the index of the sequence approaches infinity. If there were multiple limits, then the terms of the sequence would not have a specific point to approach.

4. What is the importance of the limit of a sequence on a metric space in mathematics?

The concept of limit on a metric space is important in many areas of mathematics, particularly in analysis and topology. It allows for the study of convergence and continuity in more complex spaces than just the real line. It also helps in understanding the behavior of functions and sequences in these spaces, and is essential in many proofs and theorems.

5. Are there any limitations to the concept of limit of a sequence on a metric space?

While the concept of limit on a metric space is useful in many areas of mathematics, there are some limitations to its applicability. One limitation is that it only applies to sequences that are defined on a metric space, which has a specific structure and set of rules. Additionally, the concept of limit may not exist for some sequences on certain metric spaces, making it difficult to analyze the behavior of these sequences.