Line integral across a field given by circular distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of evaluating the integral of a field generated by a circular thread of radius b in the xy plane, with magnitude j in the direction of phi. The attempt at a solution involves using the naive approach and computing the integral directly, but there is concern about the rotational field around the line rather than along it. The steps for finding the expression for the field and integrating over alpha are discussed, but there are questions about converting to Cartesian coordinates.
S. Moger

Homework Statement

Evaluate [itex]\int_C \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]

Where [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is the field generated from a circular thread of radius b in the xy plane, with magnitude j in the direction [itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex] (i.e. not along the curve, I take it)

C: [itex](x,y,z) = b(1+ \cos{\alpha}, 0, \sin{\alpha})[/itex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I probably could use Stoke and get -j (or a 0) as an answer here, due to the geometry, but I want to practice using the naïve approach and compute the integral, the hard way, directly. But, the fact that phi describes a rotational field around the line, and not along it, is a bit fishy.

To begin with, I need to find an expression for [itex]\vec{F} [/itex].

Here, I hesitate. [itex] \vec{F}= \int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{j \hat{\varphi}}{2\pi \cdot |\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} d \gamma' [/itex] with phi relative to the source [itex]\vec{r}'[/itex], i.e. the circular thread. [itex]\vec{r}'=b \cos\gamma' \hat{x} + b \sin\gamma' \hat{y}[/itex]

(Allowing for j as a function of angle would also be interesting in terms of implications to the potential use of stoke.)

The next step would be to enter this integral into the main integral and integrate over alpha. However, I would eventually be bothered by [itex] \hat{\varphi}[/itex] which I need to convert to cartesian. The coordinate system of the thread, as I imagine it, is cylindrical, with height-z effectively taking the role of an angle. I would get a cartesian-x,y starting contribution from cosz and sinz and then r along that direction with respect to a function of phi. Then get cartesian-z from r and phi. Then I compute [itex] \hat{\varphi}[/itex] by differentiating the cartesian representation by [itex]\varphi[/itex]?

Have I got the steps right? Any thoughts? Is it doable? Am I on the right track in that case?

Hello S,

You are really making life difficult for yourself ! My respect :smile:

I don't think your expression for##\ \vec r'\ ## is right. Check it in a few places.
[edit]correction: this is the position on the current loop. Is OK.

http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/materials/StudyGuide/guide09.pdfs (on page 9-35) a treatment on the off-axis field

1. What is a line integral across a field given by circular distribution?

A line integral across a field given by circular distribution is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a scalar or vector field along a specific curve or path within a circular region. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the field at each point along the curve to determine the overall value along the path.

2. How is a line integral across a field given by circular distribution calculated?

A line integral across a field given by circular distribution is calculated by dividing the circular path into small segments and approximating the value of the field at each point on the curve. The values are then summed up to find the total value of the integral.

3. In what situations is a line integral across a field given by circular distribution useful?

A line integral across a field given by circular distribution is useful in situations where the field varies in a circular manner, such as in electric or magnetic fields around a circular wire, or in fluid flow around a circular object. It can also be used to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path.

4. How does the direction of the curve affect the line integral across a field given by circular distribution?

The direction of the curve can affect the line integral across a field given by circular distribution because it determines the direction of the field at each point along the curve. If the direction of the curve is opposite to the direction of the field, the integral will have a negative value.

5. Are there any applications of line integrals across a field given by circular distribution in real life?

Yes, line integrals across a field given by circular distribution have many real-life applications. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force, the potential energy of a system, and the flow of fluids or electricity in circular systems. They can also be used in economics and finance to calculate the total value of a variable over a given time period.