Line Integral Solution for Curve γ: Simplifying Substitutions

Graham87
Homework Statement
Solve this line integral
Relevant Equations
see pictures
Hello,

How should I go about to solve this line integral along the line curve γ?
Screenshot 2023-12-03 183123.png

Screenshot 2023-12-03 183130.png
I attempt to apply this relation but the substitutions get too messy.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 183331.png

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
can you make any particular observations regarding the relation between the two components of your vector field?

Likes Graham87
Orodruin said:
can you make any particular observations regarding the relation between the two components of your vector field?
I'm not sure. It looks overwhelmingly complicated to me.
Should I try to check if it is path independent?

Graham87 said:
You might want to consider the start and end coordinates of the path (corresponding to ##t=0## and ##t= \pi##). You might want to consider whether or not the field is conservative.

Edited.

Likes Graham87
Graham87 said:
Compare the first terms of each expression. What do you see?
Do the same for the second and third terms. Same question.
Do the same for the fourth term (which is 0 for the x-component). Same question.

If you prefer to check in a different way if the field is conservative, please feel free to do so.

Likes Graham87
Orodruin said:
Compare the first terms of each expression. What do you see?
Do the same for the second and third terms. Same question.
Do the same for the fourth term (which is 0 for the x-component). Same question.

If you prefer to check in a different way if the field is conservative, please feel free to do so.
Looks like some derivative or primitive function variation. But it's not in a series.
I might consider checking if the field is conservative. But I'm curious how it would be done by the other way?

Graham87 said:
Looks like some derivative or primitive function variation. But it's not in a series.
I might consider checking if the field is conservative. But I'm curious how it would be done by the other way?
There is really no "magic" too it. Just that ##3 x^2 y## is quite clearly the ##x##-derivative of ##x^3 y## ... of which ##x^3## is the ##y##-derivative, etc etc

Likes Graham87

1. What is a line integral solution for curve γ?

A line integral solution for curve γ is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function along a curve in a vector field. It represents the total effect of the vector field along the curve.

2. How do simplifying substitutions help in solving line integrals for curve γ?

Simplifying substitutions help in solving line integrals for curve γ by making the integration process easier and more manageable. By substituting variables or simplifying expressions, the integral can be solved more efficiently.

3. What are some common simplifying substitutions used in solving line integrals for curve γ?

Some common simplifying substitutions used in solving line integrals for curve γ include trigonometric substitutions, algebraic substitutions, and parametric substitutions. These substitutions help simplify the integrand and make the integration process more straightforward.

4. How can I determine the appropriate simplifying substitution to use for a specific line integral for curve γ?

Determining the appropriate simplifying substitution to use for a specific line integral for curve γ often involves analyzing the integrand and identifying patterns or structures that can be simplified. Practice and experience can also help in recognizing which substitution will be most effective.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for effectively using simplifying substitutions in solving line integrals for curve γ?

Some tips for effectively using simplifying substitutions in solving line integrals for curve γ include practicing different substitution techniques, understanding the properties of the integrand, and being familiar with common substitution patterns. It is also helpful to break down the integral into smaller parts to simplify the overall calculation.