Line of charge and conducting sphere (method of images)

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of an infinite line charge and a conducting sphere. The possibility of using a point charge as an analog is mentioned, but it is noted that the situation is quite different from what has been previously seen. The alternative definition of a circle is also brought up, but its relevance to the problem is not yet clear.
thedddmer
Homework Statement
Need to use method find the geometrical place of the images and the charge density of an infinite line of charge and a conducting sphere
Relevant Equations
so the problem is only to find a segment of the line of charge inside the sphere, should be and kind of egg shape image (at least is what someone told me)
I was thinking of using the sphere and point charge as an analog, but is quite diferent from what i have seen

Physics news on Phys.org
thedddmer said:
I was thinking of using the sphere and point charge as an analog,
OK

thedddmer said:
but is quite diferent from what i have seen
An infinitesimal element of the line charge can be treated as a point charge. Sketch a diagram of the situation and consider an arbitrary element of the line charge.

Likes vanhees71
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circles_of_Apollonius

The alternative definition of a circle: the set of all points whose ratio of distances from two points is a fixed constant.

After all the potential of two (equal but opposite line charges) is

##\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \ln \frac{r_1}{r_2}##

If that is a constant

then

##\frac{r_1}{r_2}## is also constant

Likes TSny
PhDeezNutz said:
The alternative definition of a circle: the set of all points whose ratio of distances from two points is a fixed constant.

I'm having a hard time relating this to the infinite line charge and conducting sphere. I do find that the image curve is a circle.

But I haven't yet figured out how Apollonius' definition of a circle helps in this problem.

TSny said:
I'm having a hard time relating this to the infinite line charge and conducting sphere. I do find that the image curve is a circle.

But I haven't yet figured out how Apollonius' definition of a circle helps in this problem.

Oh wow I totally misread the OP. I thought OP wanted to know the image of an infinite line charge inside a cylinder. And wanted to use the point charge image inside a sphere as an analog.

Welp.

1. What is the line of charge and conducting sphere method of images?

The line of charge and conducting sphere method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve problems involving an infinite line of charge and a conducting sphere. It involves creating a mirror image of the conducting sphere and line of charge, and using the principle of superposition to find the electric potential and electric field at any point.

2. How is the image charge for the conducting sphere determined?

The image charge for the conducting sphere is determined by taking the opposite charge of the original sphere and placing it at the same distance from the line of charge as the original sphere. This creates a mirror image of the original sphere and ensures that the electric potential is zero on the surface of the conducting sphere.

3. What is the purpose of using the line of charge and conducting sphere method of images?

The purpose of using this method is to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. By creating an image charge, the problem becomes a combination of two simpler problems, which can be solved using known equations and principles.

4. Can this method be used for any configuration of line of charge and conducting sphere?

No, this method can only be used for an infinite line of charge and a conducting sphere. It is not applicable for other configurations, such as a finite line of charge or a non-conducting sphere.

5. Are there any limitations to the line of charge and conducting sphere method of images?

One limitation is that it can only be used for problems involving electrostatics. It cannot be used for problems involving changing electric fields or moving charges. Additionally, this method assumes that the conducting sphere is a perfect conductor, which may not be the case in real-world situations.