Method of images, charge q inside conducting sphere

In summary: So the force is a vector so it changes direction for different points of the sphere, that's why my solution is wrong?So the force is a vector so it changes direction for different points of the sphere, that's why my solution is wrong?Yes, because you didn't take into account the direction of the force on each patch.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the method of images to solve for the potential inside a hollow grounded conducting sphere with a point charge inside. The potential is found using spherical coordinates and the surface charge density is calculated. The conversation then moves on to discussing the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the charge, which is found to be different when calculated using Coulomb's equation versus the total force acting
amjad-sh

Homework Statement

Using the method of images discuss the problem of a point charge q inside a hollow grounded conducting sphere of inner radius a.Find
(a) the potential inside the sphere
(b) induced surface-charge density
(c) the magnitude and the direction of force acting on q
is there any change of the solution i f the sphere is kept at a fixed potential V? If the sphere has a total charge Q on it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

parts a) and b) were easily solved
By using method if images:
##q'=\frac {-qa}{y}##and ##y'=\frac{a^2}{y}##
the potential at point p is ##Φ(p)=\frac{q}{4πε|x\vec n-y\vec n'|} +\frac{q'}{4πε|x\vec n-y'\vec n'|}##
the magnitudes of q and q' are chosen so that the potential at the surface of the sphere becomes zero.
the result will be by using spherical coordintes:##Φ(x)=\frac {q}{4πε} [ \frac {1}{\sqrt {y^2+x^2-2yxcos(\gamma)} } -\frac{1}{\sqrt {a^2+y^2x^2/a^2 -2yxcos(\gamma)} }]##
Now the surface charge density is## σ=εE=-ε\frac {\partial Φ(x)}{\partial x}|_{x=a} ##that will leads finally to
##σ=\frac {qa/4π (y^2/a^2 -1)}{(y^2+a^2-2yacos(\gamma))^{3/2}} ##I really stopped at part (c)
the easiet way is to find the force between q and q' by using Coulombs equation.
the answer will be ##|F|=(q^2/a^2)(a/y)^3(1-a^2/y^2)^{-2}##
but when I tried solving it by calculating the total force acting on the surface of the sphere I got a different answer!
the force acing on an element area of the sphere is ##F=(σ^2/ε)da## where ##da=asin\gamma d\gamma dφ##
Then ##F=(1/ε)\int_0^π\int_0^{2π}asin\gamma d\gamma dφσ^2=##
##\frac {q^2a^3}{16π^2ε} \int_0^π \frac { (y^2/a^2 -1)^2sin(\gamma) d\gamma}{(y^2 +a^2 -2yacos(\gamma))^3} \int_0^{2π}dφ=##
##\frac {(q^2a^3)}{8πε}\int_0^π \frac { (y^2/a^2 -1)^2 sin\gamma d\gamma}{(y^2 +a^2 -2yacos\gamma)^3}##
Let ##A=(y^2 +a^2-2yacos\gamma)##
##dA=2yasin\gamma d\gamma##
then##F=(q^2a^3/8πε)(y^2/a^2-1)^2(1/2ya)\int_{y^2+a^2-2ya}^{y^2+a^2+2ya}dA/A^3##
The answer finally will be ##\frac {q^2a^2}{-32πε}(1/a^2 -1/y^2)[1/(y+a)^4 -1/(y-a)^4]##
which is different from the answer above, what went wrong?

Attachments

• eee0c0ad-6eb1-4324-96be-a22b2ec462c7.jpg
    eee0c0ad-6eb1-4324-96be-a22b2ec462c7.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 722
Physics news on Phys.org
amjad-sh said:
Now the surface charge density is...
##\sigma=\epsilon E=-\epsilon\frac {\partial \Phi(x)}{\partial x}|_{x=a}##
Why did you pick the derivative with respect to x? Why not y or z? Remember that σ is a scalar and E is a vector. Check your textbook to see what the actual expression is.

kuruman said:
Why did you pick the derivative with respect to x? Why not y or z? Remember that σ is a scalar and E is a vector. Check your textbook to see what the actual expression is.
I think the OP is correct here. The notation seems to be that of Jackson's text. x represents the magnitude of the position vector, ##\mathbf x##, of the field point, not the ##x## coordinate of the point. Most people would use r where Jackson uses x. Definitely can be confusing.

Likes BvU
OK, I think I see it now. It is definitely confusing in view of OP's posted equation
##Φ(x)=\frac {q}{4πε} [ \frac {1}{\sqrt {y^2+x^2-2yxcos(\gamma)} } -\frac{1}{\sqrt {a^2+y^2x^2/a^2 -2yxcos(\gamma)} }]##
in which the meaning of ##x## on the left is different from the meaning of ##x## on the right. Furthermore, despite OP's assertion, this equation is not in spherical coordinates. If ##x## on the left is to be interpreted as ##r##, then on the right side ##x## appears in the wrong places and ##y## has no place at all.

kuruman said:
OK, I think I see it now. It is definitely confusing in view of OP's posted equation
##Φ(x)=\frac {q}{4πε} [ \frac {1}{\sqrt {y^2+x^2-2yxcos(\gamma)} } -\frac{1}{\sqrt {a^2+y^2x^2/a^2 -2yxcos(\gamma)} }]##
in which the meaning of ##x## on the left is different from the meaning of ##x## on the right. Furthermore, despite OP's assertion, this equation is not in spherical coordinates. If ##x## on the left is to be interpreted as ##r##, then on the right side ##x## appears in the wrong places and ##y## has no place at all.
The ##x## on the left should be in bold face as it represents the position vector of the field point. The ##x## on the right is the magnitude of this vector.

##\mathbf y## is the position vector of charge ##q## and ##y## is the magnitude of this vector. ##\gamma## is the angle between the two vectors ##\mathbf x## and ##\mathbf y##.

Likes BvU and kuruman
Thanks. I see it now.

Sorry I didn't specify the vectors and the magnitudes.They are like how @TSny mentioned them.
kuruman said:
I meant by E here the magnitude of E and not the vector. Sorry I was not clear.
So what goes wrong in part (c) what I did wrong?

amjad-sh said:
So what goes wrong in part (c) what I did wrong?

You need to take into account that the force on a patch of area ##da## is a vector quantity. The direction of the force is different for different patches.

The magnitude of the force on area ##da## is ##\frac{\sigma^2}{2 \varepsilon} da## with a factor of 2 in the denominator.

[Edit: Also, check your expression for the area element ##da##. It doesn't have the dimensions of area.]

Last edited:
Likes amjad-sh

1. What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve electrostatic problems involving conductors and charges. It involves creating a virtual image charge that is a mirror image of the original charge, and using this image charge to calculate the electric potential and field at any point in space.

2. How is the method of images used for a charge inside a conducting sphere?

For a charge q inside a conducting sphere, the method of images involves creating a virtual image charge -q at the same distance from the center of the sphere as the original charge. This image charge acts as a mirror image, and when combined with the actual charge, it ensures that the electric potential is continuous and zero at the surface of the conducting sphere.

3. Why is the method of images useful for solving electrostatic problems?

The method of images is useful because it simplifies the calculation of electric potential and field in complex electrostatic problems involving conductors and charges. It allows us to use the principle of superposition to solve for the electric potential and field at any point in space, by considering the effects of the actual charge and the virtual image charge separately.

4. Can the method of images be used for non-spherical conductors?

Yes, the method of images can be used for non-spherical conductors as long as the conductor has a known shape and symmetry. The virtual image charge can be created at a suitable location and with the appropriate charge to ensure a continuous and zero potential at the surface of the conductor.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of images?

Yes, the method of images is limited to electrostatic problems and cannot be used for time-varying or dynamic situations. It also assumes that the conductors are perfectly conducting and have no resistance or capacitance. Additionally, this method may not be applicable for complex geometries or asymmetrical charge distributions.