Linear actuator use in all electric mini-digger

In summary, the author is considering replacing the hydraulics in his mini-loader with linear actuators, and is asking for advice on potential side loads and Static analysis. He notes that while electric cylinders might not have the raw force of hydraulics, they're available with high force ratings. The course also covers key physics concepts, and states that while hydraulic systems are more efficient, they can also be controlled by electrical systems.
MrSquish
Hi all,

I've got this idea in my head of building a mini-loader like a http://www.multione.com/mini-articulated-loaders/ . I'm interested in replacing the hydraulics with linear actuators and wondered if anyone here could shed some
thoughts/advice.

Given the driveline would also be fully electric, my reasons by going electric on the actuators are:
a) Efficiency - running hydraulics is inefficient as it's continually running a pump.
b) Servicing - hydraulics require servicing, linear actuators do not.
c) Simplicity - Electrics are far easier to design and control than hydraulics.

I'm mostly concerned with the main lifting actuator, I think (although not quite sure) that I could source an actuator with enough Torque and quick enough, but am concerned with potential side loads. I've attached a quick sketch of how I think the main lifting arm could be setup, but at position 2 is there a side load on the actuator? Or because the actuator would pivot at the bottom, is there no side load?

Another question is, given a load (in kg) in the bucket, and the length of the arm, and the position of the actuator connected to the arm, how do I calculate the N force required to lift the bucket?

Attachments

• BucketLoad.png
    BucketLoad.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 833
Engineering news on Phys.org
Several companies make what are sometimes called "electric cylinders"; they are typically a ball-screw linear actuator driven by either a stepper or DC brushless servo motor.

Some examples:
https://www.festo.com/cms/nl-be_be/21522.htm
http://ph.parker.com/us/en/electric-cylinders

While in some cases they might not match hydraulic for raw force, many electric cylinders are available with high force ratings. Parker's ETH125 series goes up to 114 kN for example. Speed will depend on the motor's max speed, and the total reduction between possible motor gearboxes and the ballscrew itself.

Electric_Cylinder_Actuators_-_ETH125_zm.jpg

Likes Brandon91man
Thanks so much mate, Googling Electric Cyliner vs Linear Actuator brings up MUCH different results. I was very suspicious that my search of linear actuators was peaking at a power level.

MrSquish said:
Another question is, given a load (in kg) in the bucket, and the length of the arm, and the position of the actuator connected to the arm, how do I calculate the N force required to lift the bucket?

Regarding your other question, determining the forces required or involved will require Static analysis. https://oli.cmu.edu/courses/free-open/engineering-statics-course-details/, which might a good starting point if you're unfamiliar with Static Analysis.

https://oli.cmu.edu/courses/free-open/engineering-statics-course-details/
CMU.org said:
Engineering Statics
OVERVIEW:
Statics is the study of methods for quantifying the forces between bodies. Forces are responsible for maintaining balance and causing motion of bodies, or changes in their shape. You encounter a great number and variety of examples of forces every day, such as when you press a button, turn a doorknob, or run your hands through your hair. Motion and changes in shape are critical to the functionality of man-made objects as well as objects the nature.

Statics is an essential prerequisite for many branches of engineering, such as mechanical, civil, aeronautical, and bioengineering, which address the various consequences of forces.

This course contains many interactive elements, including: simulations; “walk-throughs” that integrate voice and graphics to explain a procedure or a difficult concept; and, most prominently, computer tutors in which students practice problem solving with hints and feedback.

This course uses algebra and trigonometry and is suitable for use with either calculus- or non-calculus-based academic statics courses. Completion of a beginning physics course is helpful for success in statics, but not required. Many key physics concepts are included in this course.

MrSquish said:
Given the driveline would also be fully electric, my reasons by going electric on the actuators are:
a) Efficiency - running hydraulics is inefficient as it's continually running a pump.
b) Servicing - hydraulics require servicing, linear actuators do not.
c) Simplicity - Electrics are far easier to design and control than hydraulics.
a) Efficiency - Hydraulics do not develop pressure unless work is being done. Without pressure there is high efficiency, good lubrication and cooling. As a generalisation, with electrics you always have pressure = voltage available, with hydraulics you always have current = flow. Study directional control valves, DCVs, to better understand the difference. There are also variable flow pumps and variable flow motors, they give hydraulics continuously variable transmissions with high efficiency.

b) Servicing - Electric motors get hot and will need to be air cooled, so they will fill up with dust and mud, then need cleaning or they will fail. With hydraulics you change the filters and top up the fluid. Hydraulics are self lubricating and self cooling. If you applied the same forces with electrical actuators you would need to install an automatic lubrication system. The power to weight ratio of hydraulics is very high compared to electrical actuators. If slow movement with high forces is needed, select hydraulics. If very fast movement is needed, consider pneumatics. Both can be controlled by electrical systems and far exceed the performance of all-electric systems.

c) Efficiency – You clearly lack understanding of the magnitude of the forces involved in Earth moving equipment. The gearboxes necessary to slow down an electric motor to useful speeds, torques and forces will be just as inefficient as hydraulics and will probably weigh more. Electric controls applied to hydraulic systems combine the best of both worlds.

Get serious about the breakout forces required. Then get hydraulics and get the job done.

Likes MrSquish and Nidum
Mostly electric actuators are used only in indoor application ,such as hospitals ,clean room environment etc.,

Baluncore said:
a) Efficiency - Hydraulics do not develop pressure unless work is being done. Without pressure there is high efficiency, good lubrication and cooling. As a generalisation, with electrics you always have pressure = voltage available, with hydraulics you always have current = flow. Study directional control valves, DCVs, to better understand the difference. There are also variable flow pumps and variable flow motors, they give hydraulics continuously variable transmissions with high efficiency.

b) Servicing - Electric motors get hot and will need to be air cooled, so they will fill up with dust and mud, then need cleaning or they will fail. With hydraulics you change the filters and top up the fluid. Hydraulics are self lubricating and self cooling. If you applied the same forces with electrical actuators you would need to install an automatic lubrication system. The power to weight ratio of hydraulics is very high compared to electrical actuators. If slow movement with high forces is needed, select hydraulics. If very fast movement is needed, consider pneumatics. Both can be controlled by electrical systems and far exceed the performance of all-electric systems.

c) Efficiency – You clearly lack understanding of the magnitude of the forces involved in Earth moving equipment. The gearboxes necessary to slow down an electric motor to useful speeds, torques and forces will be just as inefficient as hydraulics and will probably weigh more. Electric controls applied to hydraulic systems combine the best of both worlds.

Get serious about the breakout forces required. Then get hydraulics and get the job done.

"You clearly lack understanding of the magnitude of the forces involved in Earth moving equipment"
Yes, you are probably right when I first posted this question. I mean, I knew that I was pushing the envelope, but thought given an unorthidox use case, electric might be possible (e.g. small machine, low use). Given the previous answers for calculating said breakout force, and doing some case studies, I now do understand the magnitude of forces, and have come to the same conclusion.

Likes Baluncore
MrSquish said:
"You clearly lack understanding of the magnitude of the forces involved in Earth moving equipment"
Yes, you are probably right when I first posted this question. I mean, I knew that I was pushing the envelope, but thought given an unorthidox use case, electric might be possible (e.g. small machine, low use). Given the previous answers for calculating said breakout force, and doing some case studies, I now do understand the magnitude of forces, and have come to the same conclusion.

I worked at a foundry where one of our forklifts was 100% electronic. It was much harder to learn to drive because the rates of speed that the actuators worked at were not as adjustable as they were with a hydraulic forklift. With hydraulics, the operator can finesse the levers and control the height of the tines down to the millimeter as well as do it slowly and very responsively (no lag to disorientate you). With the electric forklift, the actuators had lag and could only move as slowly as the digital controller was programmed to allow them to. The machine's responses to inputs were delayed and unpredictable.

Insult removed from post by the Mentors
Last edited by a moderator:
RogueOne said:
With hydraulics, the operator can finesse the levers and control the height of the tines down to the millimeter as well as do it slowly and very responsively (no lag to disorientate you).
There's no reason why they can't make an electrically driven hydraulic system pump.

1. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a type of motor that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It is used to control the movement of a machine or device in a straight line.

2. How does a linear actuator work in an all electric mini-digger?

In an all electric mini-digger, the linear actuator is used to control the movement of the digging arm or bucket. The actuator is connected to the hydraulic system of the digger, which allows it to extend and retract with precision.

3. What are the benefits of using a linear actuator in an all electric mini-digger?

Using a linear actuator in an all electric mini-digger offers several benefits, including increased precision and control over movement, reduced noise and vibration, and improved efficiency.

4. Are there different types of linear actuators used in all electric mini-diggers?

Yes, there are different types of linear actuators used in all electric mini-diggers, including electric, hydraulic, and pneumatic actuators. The type used will depend on the specific needs and design of the mini-digger.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a linear actuator in an all electric mini-digger?

To maintain a linear actuator in an all electric mini-digger, it is important to regularly inspect and clean the actuator and its components. If there are any issues with the actuator's performance, it may need to be replaced or repaired by a professional.