Linear Algebra Diagonalizable Matrix

In summary: It's clearly not diagonalizable because the eigenspace only has dimension 1. So it's similar to a matrix that only has one eigenvalue.1 1 10 1 10 0 2In summary, for a) an invertible 3x3 matrix that is not diagonalizable exists, as shown by the example (1 1 1, 0 1 1, 0 0 2). For c) a 3x3 matrix A with A^6+I3=0, it does not exist as (DetA)^6 cannot equal -1 for any value of DetA.
FinalStand

Homework Statement

For each of the following, give an example if it exists. If it doesn't exist, explain why.
a) An invertible 3x3 matrix which is not diagonalizable.
c) An 3x3 matrix A with A^6+I3=0 (Hint: Use the determinant)

Homework Equations

For a):

I know in order for a matrix to be diagonalizable, the matrix A has to be similar with D (Diagonal Matrix). Which means having the same eigenvalues... Since the eigenvalues are on the main diagonal. All invertible matrix can't have 0 in the main diagonal in the reduced echelon form so it has to be diagonalizable so it does not exist...I am pretty sure this is not a good explanation, so I am asking for some clarification on diagonalization properties for invertible matrixe.

for b): I used the determinant like this: DetA^6 = -detI3 => (DetA)^6= -1. So it does not exist...Is it what the question meant?

I am not good with algebra so forgive me for my misunderstandings.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
FinalStand said:

Homework Statement

For each of the following, give an example if it exists. If it doesn't exist, explain why.
a) An invertible 3x3 matrix which is not diagonalizable.
c) An 3x3 matrix A with A^6+I3=0 (Hint: Use the determinant)

Homework Equations

For a):

I know in order for a matrix to be diagonalizable, the matrix A has to be similar with D (Diagonal Matrix). Which means having the same eigenvalues... Since the eigenvalues are on the main diagonal. All invertible matrix can't have 0 in the main diagonal in the reduced echelon form so it has to be diagonalizable so it does not exist...I am pretty sure this is not a good explanation, so I am asking for some clarification on diagonalization properties for invertible matrixe.

for b): I used the determinant like this: DetA^6 = -detI3 => (DetA)^6= -1. So it does not exist...Is it what the question meant?

I am not good with algebra so forgive me for my misunderstandings.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) a 3x3 matrix is diagonalizable if it has three linearly independent eigenvectors. The eigenvalues don't have much to do with being diagonalizable. Do you know an example of a 2x2 matrix that doesn't have two linearly independent eigenvectors, hence is not diagonalizable? For b), that's exactly right.

1 1
0 1

That is from an example that teacher gave us. But how do you know the eigenvectors without constructing examples and checking everytime? How to tell what the eigenvectors are by just the matrix itself?

FinalStand said:
1 1
0 1

That is from an example that teacher gave us. But how do you know the eigenvectors without constructing examples and checking everytime? How to tell what the eigenvectors are by just the matrix itself?
The eigenvalues of a triangular matrix are simply the diagonal entries, so 1 is the only eigenvalue of this matrix. So simply solve for the eigenvector(s):
$$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} =\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} $$

How do you tell if it is diagonalizable or not? It is a 3x3 matrix so... I am not sure. I can find a invertible matrix, but how do you know if it is diagonalizable?

FinalStand said:
1 1
0 1

You generally have to calculate what the eigenvectors are.

FinalStand said:
How do you tell if it is diagonalizable or not? It is a 3x3 matrix so... I am not sure. I can find a invertible matrix, but how do you know if it is diagonalizable?
Go back to the 2x2 case you noted. You know from class it's not diagonalizable. You should verify this on your own because it'll help you figure out the 3x3 case. You should be able to convince yourself it's invertible as well. So in the 2x2 case, there is an invertible matrix which isn't diagonalizable. Think about how you might find a 3x3 matrix that's similar.

can you just tell me how to find the diagonalizable matrix? Give me the basic steps just as a reminder. Thanks

FinalStand said:
can you just tell me how to find the diagonalizable matrix? Give me the basic steps just as a reminder. Thanks

What about all of the hints you've been given don't you understand? You find eigenvectors by solving an algebra problem. It's easy to find a diagonizable matrix. You want to find one that's not diagonalizable. Work by analogy from the 2x2 case.

Last edited:
1 1 1
0 1 1
0 0 1

FinalStand said:
1 1 1
0 1 1
0 0 1

Yes, that works. Did you check that the only eigenvector is (1,0,0)?

1. What is a diagonalizable matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix is a square matrix that can be transformed into a diagonal matrix through a similarity transformation. This means that the matrix has a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors, which can be used to form a diagonal matrix.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is diagonalizable?

To determine if a matrix is diagonalizable, you need to check if it has a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors. This can be done by finding the eigenvalues of the matrix and checking if each eigenvalue has a corresponding eigenvector. If there are as many linearly independent eigenvectors as the dimension of the matrix, then the matrix is diagonalizable.

3. What are the benefits of diagonalizable matrices?

Diagonalizable matrices have several benefits, including being easier to work with in calculations, having simpler properties and solutions, and allowing for easier analysis of the matrix. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can a non-square matrix be diagonalizable?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be diagonalizable because it is not possible to form a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors for a non-square matrix. Diagonalizability is a property that only applies to square matrices.

5. How is diagonalization used in real-world applications?

Diagonalization has various applications in real-world scenarios, such as in solving systems of differential equations, analyzing linear transformations, and solving problems in physics and engineering. It is also used in computer graphics and image processing algorithms.