Linear Algebra - Hooke's Law Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps for solving a system of springs, including assembling the stiffness matrix and force-displacement relations, finding the L*D*L^T factorization of the matrix, and using boundary conditions and applied forces to find the displacements. The confusion arises from the value of <10 10 10>^T being used as the applied force, which may be a mistake since gravity is not involved in the problem.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

For the system of springs
Capture.PNG

a) Assemble the stiffness matrix K and the force-displacement relations, K*u = f
b) Find the L*D*L^T factorization of K. Use Matlab to solve
c) Use the boundary conditions and applied forces to find the displacements

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting stuck on part c
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

My confusion lies in why is F = <10 10 10>^T? I don't see were these 10 values came from.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a mistake since gravity isn't involved in this problem.

I think you might be right. I don't see how gravity is involved either.

Related to Linear Algebra - Hooke's Law Problem

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This relationship is described by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

2. How is Hooke's Law related to linear algebra?

Hooke's Law can be represented using a linear algebra approach by considering the force, displacement, and spring constant as vectors. The equation F = kx can then be expressed as a dot product between the force and displacement vectors, with the spring constant acting as a scalar.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in Hooke's Law?

The spring constant, represented by the symbol k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is unique to each spring and determines the amount of force needed to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.

4. Can Hooke's Law be applied to other systems besides springs?

Yes, Hooke's Law can be applied to any system that exhibits linear elasticity, such as rubber bands, bungee cords, and even some biological tissues. As long as the system follows the principles of linear elasticity, Hooke's Law can be used to describe its behavior.

5. How can Hooke's Law be used in real-world applications?

Hooke's Law is commonly used in engineering and physics to design and analyze various systems, such as springs in mechanical devices, suspension systems in vehicles, and even in materials testing. It is also used in fields such as seismology to understand the behavior of the Earth's crust during earthquakes.