Linear Algebra in Dirac Notation

In summary: You can take any linear algebra thing and convert it to Dirac. That's what the point of Dirac notation is.In summary, the conversation discussed converting linear operators in vector space to Dirac notation. It was noted that the left hand side and right hand side of the original linear algebra equation can be mapped to the same thing in Dirac notation. It was also mentioned that occasionally the system may have trouble with LaTeX when writing the first one in a thread.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Convert general notation of linear operators in vector space to dirac notation
Relevant Equations
Dirac Notation
Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 11.07.52 PM.png

I am trying to convert the attached picture into dirac notation.
I find the LHS simple, as it is just <ψ,aφ>=<ψIaIφ>
The RHS gives me trouble as I am interpreting it as <a†ψ,φ>=<ψIa†Iφ> but if I conjugate that I get <φIaIψ>* which is not equiv to the LHS.

*Was going to type in LaTex but I can't preview my code during my intial post? is that normal?*

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: Convert general notation of linear operators in vector space to dirac notation
Relevant Equations:: Dirac Notation

View attachment 313611

The RHS gives me trouble as I am interpreting it as <a†ψ,φ>=<ψIa†Iφ> but if I conjugate that I get <φIaIψ>* which is not equiv to the LHS.

*Was going to type in LaTex but I can't preview my code during my intial post? is that normal?*
Note that ##< \alpha , \beta > = \alpha ^{ \dagger } \beta##.

Hint: ##< \psi , a \phi > = \psi ^{ \dagger } (a \phi) = ( \psi ^{ \dagger } a ) \phi##

The system, for some reason, occasionally flubs the LaTeX if you are writing the first LaTeX in the thread. Copy your text to the clipboard (for safety) and refresh the page. It should work after that.

-Dan

Likes guyvsdcsniper
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: Convert general notation of linear operators in vector space to dirac notation
Relevant Equations:: Dirac Notation

View attachment 313611

First, ##\psi## and ##\varphi## are vectors, which map to kets. And ##a## is an operator, with ##a^{\dagger}## its Hermitian conjugate. So, we have:
$$a\varphi \leftrightarrow a\ket{\varphi}$$$$a^{\dagger}\psi \leftrightarrow a^{\dagger}\ket{\psi}$$Now, to form the inner product in Dirac notation, we need to map the first ket to its correspondng bra:
$$a^{\dagger} \ket \psi \to \bra{\psi} a$$So, we can see that both the RHS and the LHS of the original linear algebra map to the same thing in Dirac notation:
$$\langle \psi, a\varphi \rangle \to \bra \psi a \ket \varphi$$$$\langle a^{\dagger}\psi, \varphi \rangle \to \bra \psi a \ket \varphi$$PS this is not really homework as it's just an explanation of the Dirac notation itself.

Likes guyvsdcsniper and topsquark

1. What is Dirac notation in linear algebra?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used to represent vectors and linear operators in quantum mechanics. It was introduced by physicist Paul Dirac and is commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics and linear algebra.

2. How is Dirac notation used in linear algebra?

Dirac notation is used to represent vectors as "ket" vectors, denoted by |v>, and linear operators as "bra-ket" vectors, denoted by . These vectors can be manipulated using various operations such as addition, multiplication, and inner product to solve linear algebra problems.

3. What are the advantages of using Dirac notation in linear algebra?

Dirac notation allows for a more concise and elegant representation of vectors and linear operators. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to visualize and understand complex mathematical concepts in linear algebra.

4. What are some common applications of Dirac notation in linear algebra?

Dirac notation is commonly used in quantum mechanics, where it is used to represent states of particles and their interactions. It is also used in linear algebra to solve problems related to vector spaces, matrices, and linear transformations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dirac notation in linear algebra?

While Dirac notation is a powerful tool in linear algebra, it is primarily used in the context of quantum mechanics and may not be applicable to all linear algebra problems. Additionally, it may take some time to become familiar with the notation and its rules and conventions.