Dirac notation - expectation value of kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a question that asks to express the kinetic energy in terms of an integral involving the derivative of the wavefunction. The person is stuck on proving that the integral cannot be negative. They finally understand that because the integral is always taken from positive to negative values, it will always be positive.
Clarky48
It's my first post so big thanks in advance :)

1. Homework Statement

So the question states "By interpreting <pxΨ|pxΨ> in terms of an integral over x, express <Ekin> in terms of an integral involving |∂Ψ/∂x|. Confirm explicitly that your answer cannot be negative in value." ##The 'px's should have hats to indicate an operator##
If it helps, it's part of a question where Ψ is the wavefunction of a particle in a 1D pot energy well and the question is testing on a chapter about introducing and working with Dirac notation.

Homework Equations

None that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

The maths of my solution so far is
CJx2b66.png

So, the part I'm stuck with is proving explicitly that it can't be negative in value. Obviously the factor to the left is always positive but it's the integral that's the problem. I know the integrand is always real and positive as it's a modulus squared, I just can't see any way to prove that the integral of that, over infinity, is never negative.

It's due in for next Monday so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

You are integrating from ##- \infty## to ##+ \infty##. So, what is the sign of ##dx## in the integral?

I'm not sure what you mean - I'd presume ##\text{d}x## is always positive, as it's effectively a small interval ##\delta x## centered on ##x##.

So are you saying if I take the integral to be the infinite sum of small sections ##| \partial \Psi / \partial x|^2 ~ \delta x##, then each section must be positive, as both ##| \partial \Psi / \partial x|^2## and ##\delta x## are always positive?

Thanks

Clarky48 said:
So are you saying if I take the integral to be the infinite sum of small sections ##| \partial \Psi / \partial x|^2 ~ \delta x##, then each section must be positive, as both ##| \partial \Psi / \partial x|^2## and ##\delta x## are always positive?

Thanks

Yes.

Another way to think about it is that ##|\partial \Psi / \partial x|^2## is a non-negative function of x. So, the integral is the "area under" the graph of a function that never goes below the x axis. So, the area is positive according to the sign conventions of area-under-a-graph as used in calculus.

Ah right, I think I get you.

So, to check I understand it - if the limits of integration were reversed ##\int^{-\infty}_{\infty}## (so you're integrating across the graph in the negative x direction), would the integral be negative?

Clarky48 said:
So, to check I understand it - if the limits of integration were reversed ##\int^{-\infty}_{\infty}## (so you're integrating across the graph in the negative x direction), would the integral be negative?
Yes, that's right.

Awesome. Thanks for all the help :smile:

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used to describe quantum states in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in quantum mechanics textbooks and research papers.

2. How is the kinetic energy represented in Dirac notation?

In Dirac notation, the kinetic energy operator is represented by the symbol T̂. It is defined as T̂ = -ħ^2/2m * ∂^2/∂x^2, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and m is the mass of the particle.

3. What is the expectation value of kinetic energy?

The expectation value of kinetic energy is the average value of the kinetic energy of a quantum state. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the state with the kinetic energy operator and then normalizing it by dividing it by the inner product of the state with itself.

4. How is the expectation value of kinetic energy calculated?

The expectation value of kinetic energy is calculated by taking the inner product of the state with the kinetic energy operator and then normalizing it by dividing it by the inner product of the state with itself. This can be written as ⟨Ψ|T̂|Ψ⟩/⟨Ψ|Ψ⟩.

5. What is the significance of the expectation value of kinetic energy?

The expectation value of kinetic energy is significant because it gives us information about the average kinetic energy of a quantum state. This can help us understand the behavior and properties of quantum systems, and is an important quantity in quantum mechanics calculations and experiments.