Linear algebra or intro to programming courses have higher failure rate?

In summary: These students are usually not as strong in math and so the course is more difficult for them.CS majors, on the other hand, generally struggle more with Linear Algebra as that is a more math-intensive course.
annoyinggirl
which has higher failure rate: linear algebra or intro to programming. I understand failure rate might be skewed: math majors, who are gifted and interested in math, are required to take linear algebra but not intro to programming, while CS majors are required to take both. Which class do CS majors tend to struggle with more?

Physics news on Phys.org
annoyinggirl said:
which has higher failure rate: linear algebra or intro to programming. I understand failure rate might be skewed: math majors, who are gifted and interested in math, are required to take linear algebra but not intro to programming, while CS majors are required to take both. Which class do CS majors tend to struggle with more?
Why would a CS major have a problem with an Intro to Programming course? That would be kind of a red flag, no?

berkeman said:
Why would a CS major have a problem with an Intro to Programming course? That would be kind of a red flag, no?

This is/was true at some schools where they have a high level of students wanting to pursue CS and so they use an intro course to screen out students.

My first experience of this was in the 80's when my wife took a CS class. It had a 50% drop out rate and I asked why and was told its to weed out the students who don't already know something about programming and this was just before the era of the personal computer. I'm sure big universities do this still although its more accepted and students are expected to have a high level of proficiency when they attend the class.

Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks.

At my university Intro to CS had a much higher failure rate because a lot of "non-traditional" students such as liberal arts majors took it.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and understand the properties of linear transformations.

What is an intro to programming course?

An intro to programming course is a class that teaches the basic concepts and principles of computer programming. It covers topics such as algorithms, data types, control structures, and programming languages.

Why do linear algebra and intro to programming courses have a higher failure rate?

There are a few possible reasons for this. First, these courses often have a high workload and require a solid understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, some students may struggle with the abstract nature of these subjects. Lastly, these courses are often prerequisites for more advanced courses, so students may feel added pressure to perform well.

What can be done to improve the success rate in these courses?

One way to improve the success rate is to provide more support for students, such as offering tutoring or study sessions. It may also be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable chunks. Additionally, providing hands-on projects and real-world examples can make the material more engaging and easier to understand.

Are there any specific skills or prerequisites that can help a student succeed in these courses?

Having a strong foundation in algebra and geometry can be beneficial for understanding linear algebra. For intro to programming, having a basic understanding of logic and problem-solving skills can be helpful. However, with proper support and dedication, students can succeed in these courses regardless of their background or prior knowledge.