Linear Algebra - showing sets are linearly independent/dependent

In summary: So (1+x) and x^2 are linearly independent. (x, ex) is linearly dependent because x = cex when c=1. And (x, 3x) is linearly dependent because 3x = c1x when c=3. Lastly, the matrices are both linearly dependent because the second matrix is just -2 times the first matrix.
mizzou23

Homework Statement

Using the fact that a set S is linearly dependent if and only if at least one of the vectors, vj, can be expressed as a linear combination of the remaining vectors, obtain necessary and sufficient conditions for a set {u,v} of 2 vectors to be linearly independent. Determine by inspection whether each of the following sets is linearly independent or linearly dependent.

a.) {1+x, x2}
b.) {x, ex}
c.) {x, 3x}

the following parts d.) and e.) are both matrices, which I'm not sure how to properly represent, I don't know if there is a way to do it while posting this or not so I'll just do my best to say what I mean. All of the matrices are 2x2, there are 2 in part d.) and 2 in part e.), I'll write them in the form [a, b, c, d], where a is the top left entry in the matrix, b is top right, c is bottom left, and d is bottom right.

d.) {[-1, 2, 1, 3], [2, -4, -2, -6]}
e.) {[0, 0, 0, 0], [1, 0, 0, 1]}

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting all of them as linearly dependent but I'm just looking for some reassurance on whether or not what I'm doing to achieve these results is allowed.

a.) if we take (1+x) and multiply it by itself we get (1+ 2x + x2), and if we take -2 [itex]\times[/itex](1+x) we get (-2-2x), and combining this with (1+x+x2) would just give us x2. so I guess what I'm saying is x2 can be written as a linear combo of (1+x) by following those steps.

b.) I claim x can be written as a linear combo of ex by taking the natural log of ex which would then just give us x. however I am not sure if you are allowed to use natural log in this context.

c.) i think this one is obvious. 3x is just 3 times x, so they are clearly linearly dependent.

d.) this one i think is also obvious. if we multiply the first matrix by -2 we get the second matrix, so they are linearly dependent.

e.) if we multiple the 2nd matrix by 0 we get the 1st matrix which is all 0's, so in this way i think it is linearly dependent. however this is just the trivial solution so I'm not 100% sure, seeing as when the only solution to something is the trivial solution it is linearly independent, but I'm not sure if that applies in this situation.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
If A is a linear combination of B then A = cB for some constant c. If you think about it you can't write x^2 = c(1+x) or x = ce^x, but you can write x = c3x. just set c = 1/3

Last edited:

1. How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent or dependent?

The easiest way to determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent or dependent is by using the definition of linear independence. A set of vectors is linearly independent if and only if the only solution to the linear combination of these vectors equaling zero is when all the coefficients are equal to zero. If there are other solutions, then the set is linearly dependent.

2. What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors that are not dependent on each other, meaning none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. Linear dependence, on the other hand, means that at least one vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others, making the set dependent on that vector.

3. How do you prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the definition of linear independence or the determinant test. The determinant test involves constructing a matrix with the vectors as its columns and calculating the determinant. If the determinant is equal to zero, then the set is linearly dependent, and if it is not equal to zero, then the set is linearly independent.

4. Can a set of two vectors be linearly independent?

Yes, a set of two vectors can be linearly independent. As long as the two vectors are not scalar multiples of each other, they are considered linearly independent. This means that neither vector can be expressed as a multiple of the other vector.

5. How is linear independence used in real-world applications?

Linear independence is used in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in fields such as physics, computer graphics, and data analysis. In physics, linear independence is used to determine whether a set of forces acting on an object will cause it to move in a specific direction. In computer graphics, linear independence is used to create 3D models by combining linearly independent vectors. In data analysis, linear independence is used to identify the relationship between different variables in a dataset.