Linear Algebra, subset of R2 not closed under scalar multipl

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a subset of the x-y plane R2 that is closed under vector addition and subtraction, but not scalar multiplication. The participants discuss various options, including using matrices and considering the set of all vectors with integer coordinates. They also clarify the difference between a subset and a subspace, and ultimately determine that the smallest set that meets the given criteria is the set containing one single point.
Terrell

Homework Statement

Construct a subset of the x-y plane R2 that is
(a) closed under vector addition and subtraction, but not scalar multiplication.

Hint: Starting with u and v, add and subtract for (a). Try cu and cv

Homework Equations

vector addition, subtraction and multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it's impossible for a combination of two matrices of rank two to have a matrix beyond rank 2. i can get it down to rank 1 and rank 0 of course but that is still a subset of R2 and that still proves that it's closed under scalar multiplication

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the set of all vectors S = [x, y] such that x, y are integers.

Does that work?

How come matrices into play?
Do you know what the vector subspaces of ##\mathbb{R}^2## are?

Exus said:
Consider the set of all vectors S = [x, y] such that x, y are integers.

Does that work?
you mean xA + yB where A and B are rank 2 matrices?

fresh_42 said:
How come matrices into play?
Do you know what the vector subspaces of ##\mathbb{R}^2## are?
well R2 is a subspace of itself right? am i wrong. can anyone clear up any of my misunderstandings? thanks

Terrell said:
well R2 is a subspace of itself right? am i wrong. can anyone clear up any of my misunderstandings? thanks
Yes. And what are the one-dimensional subspaces?

fresh_42 said:
Yes. And what are the one-dimensional subspaces?
it's a line. and it's still under R2

Terrell said:
it's a line. and it's still under R2
Yes. But a special kind of line.

the way i understand the question is. to construct a subset of R2 that is not within R2. therefore something in R3 or above?

fresh_42 said:
Yes. But a special kind of line.
but wouldn't that still be in R2?

Terrell said:
the way i understand the question is. to construct a subset of R2 that is not within R2. therefore something in R3 or above?
Your first sentence says "construct a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2## ..."

fresh_42 said:
Your first sentence says "construct a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2## ..."
a subset in R2 not closed under scalar multiplication... would that mean an R1 or R0? because R1 and R0 is still in R2 therefore, if the resulting matrix is still within R2, then it's closed under scalar multiplication... right?

Terrell said:
a subset in R2 not closed under scalar multiplication... would that mean an R1 or R0? because R1 and R0 is still in R2 therefore, if the resulting matrix is still within R2, then it's closed under scalar multiplication... right?
What do you mean by a matrix in this context? A subset that is closed under addition but not under scalar multiplication cannot be a subspace.
Therefore I asked for the subspaces, because these cannot be a solution. Any set of points ##(x,y)## is a subset.

Edit: Let's take one single point and look where addition and subtraction gets us to.

Likes Terrell
Closed under scalar multiplication means that any vector in the subset could be multiplied by a scalar and still be within the subset.

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean by a matrix in this context? A subset that is closed under addition but not under scalar multiplication cannot be a subspace.
Therefore I asked for the subspaces, because these cannot be a solution. Any set of points ##(x,y)## is a subset.
Exus said:
Closed under scalar multiplication means that any vector in the subset could be multiplied by a scalar and still be within the subset.
i understood "closed under multiplication" correctly then. but i think what the question is asking is a subset not closed under multiplication that's why it's not making any sense to me because as fresh_42 said that in order to be a subspace, it must be closed under multiplication

There is a difference between subspace and subset. The first is a vector space itself (closed under addition and scalar multiplication) whereas a subset is just a set. But here we have to include all sums and differences, so it has to be an infinite set.

What happens if you take a certain point into your subset? You will have to include all sums and differences as well.
That's the smallest set you can get.

fresh_42 said:
There is a difference between subspace and subset. The first is a vector space itself (closed under addition and scalar multiplication) whereas a subset is just a set. But here we have to include all sums and differences, so it has to be an infinite set.

What happens if you take a certain point into your subset? You will have to include all sums and differences as well.
That's the smallest set you can get.
thank you for the clarification. i thought subspace = subsets, forgot that subsets doesn't necessarily have the zero vector

Likes fresh_42
Terrell said:
No, this makes no sense. Any subset of R2 is contained in R2. What you said here is probably due to your confusion about the difference between a subset of some space and a subspace of that space.

Mark44 said:
No, this makes no sense. Any subset of R2 is contained in R2. What you said here is probably due to your confusion about the difference between a subset of some space and a subspace of that space.
most definitely sir!

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves the manipulation and analysis of systems of linear equations and their properties.

2. What is a subset of R2?

A subset of R2 refers to a collection of elements that are contained within the two-dimensional Cartesian plane. It can include points, lines, or shapes that are defined by their coordinates in the x-y plane.

3. What does it mean for a subset of R2 to not be closed under scalar multiplication?

When a subset of R2 is not closed under scalar multiplication, it means that when a scalar (a number) is multiplied to any element in the subset, the resulting vector is not contained within the subset. In other words, the subset does not contain all possible scalar multiples of its elements.

4. Why is it important to study subsets of R2 that are not closed under scalar multiplication?

Studying subsets of R2 that are not closed under scalar multiplication allows us to understand the limitations and properties of vector spaces. It also helps us to identify and analyze non-linear systems, which are commonly found in real-world applications.

5. How can we determine if a subset of R2 is closed under scalar multiplication?

A subset of R2 is closed under scalar multiplication if, for any element in the subset and any scalar, the resulting vector is also contained within the subset. In other words, the subset must contain all possible scalar multiples of its elements. This can be verified by multiplying each element in the subset by a scalar and checking if the resulting vectors are also contained within the subset.