Constructing a Non-Subspace in R^2 with Closed Addition and Additive Inverses

• Thread starter TheoEndre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary: This works, but it is not the only possible example. Another example would be to choose "vectors" ##u_1 = (a_1,b_1)## and ##u_2 = (a_2, b_2)## for some real ##a_i, b_i##. Then a "lattice"built using ##u_1## and ##u_2## would work as well. This would be the set of point of the form ##n_1 u_1 +n_2 u_2 =(n_1 a_1 + n_2 a_2, n_1 b_1 + n_2 b_2), ## where ##n
TheoEndre
Hi,
I hope you guys help me with this exercise in the book "Linear Algebra Done Right"

Homework Statement

" Give an example of a nonempty subset ##U## of ##R^2## such that ##U## is closed under addition and under taking additive inverses (meaning ##−u## ##∈## ##U## whenever ##u## ##∈## ##U##), but ##U## is not a subspace of ##R^2##."

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
From what I understood from the question, the subset must not be closed under multiplication because it is closed under addition as well as the additive inverses which imply that ##0## vector must exist.
So the only thing that would make it non-subspace is the multiplication.
Hope you guys correct my understanding and help me with the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding of the problem seems fine. Now you just have to construct such a subset. I suggest taking a non-zero vector and then just adding the elements that you have to add based on the problem description. What does that give you?

Likes TheoEndre
TheoEndre said:
Hi,
I hope you guys help me with this exercise in the book "Linear Algebra Done Right"

Homework Statement

" Give an example of a nonempty subset ##U## of ##R^2## such that ##U## is closed under addition and under taking additive inverses (meaning ##−u## ##∈## ##U## whenever ##u## ##∈## ##U##), but ##U## is not a subspace of ##R^2##."

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
From what I understood from the question, the subset must not be closed under multiplication because it is closed under addition as well as the additive inverses which imply that ##0## vector must exist.
So the only thing that would make it non-subspace is the multiplication.
Hope you guys correct my understanding and help me with the solution.

Well, it would certainly be closed under integer multiplication, because ##7 v## is just ##v+v+v+v+v+v+v## and your set is closed under addition. Thus, you need to avoid multiplication by non-integer rationals or by irrational reals.

Ray Vickson said:
Well, it would certainly be closed under integer multiplication, because ##7 v## is just ##v+v+v+v+v+v+v## and your set is closed under addition. Thus, you need to avoid multiplication by non-integer rationals or by irrational reals.
I understand now the problem. So I can say that the set is the vectors ##(x_1,x_2)## where ##x_1,x_2## are integers only (negative and positive). When we check the multiplication closure by multiplying by rational number for example, we'll get a vector that doesn't belong to ##U##, correct?
I wrote it as: ##U=\left\{\left(x_1,x_2\right)\in R^2 : x_1,x_2\in Z\right\}##
What do you think?

TheoEndre said:
I understand now the problem. So I can say that the set is the vectors ##(x_1,x_2)## where ##x_1,x_2## are integers only (negative and positive). When we check the multiplication closure by multiplying by rational number for example, we'll get a vector that doesn't belong to ##U##, correct?
What do you think?
This is just one example of such a subset. There are many many more, but the task was to give an example so ...

Edit: The more minimalistic construction is to note that the set needs to contain at least one non-zero element ##x \in \mathbb R^2## apart from also containing the zero vector. In order for the set to be closed under addition, it also needs to contain all integer multiples of ##x##, but once you have included those the set satisfies everything you required of it. It does not matter what ##x## is as long as it is non-zero.

Likes TheoEndre
Orodruin said:
This is just one example of such a subset. There are many many more, but the task was to give an example so ...
It would be great If you could give more examples because I want to fully understand the subspaces subject.

TheoEndre said:
It would be great If you could give more examples because I want to fully understand the subspaces subject.
See my edit.

Orodruin said:
See my edit.
Thank you very much for this, I have now a good understanding of the problem. The things you said in your edit made a lot of sense to me. I really thank you very much. Thanks to @Ray Vickson for the help as well.

TheoEndre said:
What do you think?

This works, but it is not the only possible example. Another example would be to choose "vectors" ##u_1 = (a_1,b_1)## and ##u_2 = (a_2, b_2)## for some real ##a_i, b_i##. Then a "lattice"built using ##u_1## and ##u_2## would work as well. This would be the set of point of the form ##n_1 u_1 +n_2 u_2 =(n_1 a_1 + n_2 a_2, n_1 b_1 + n_2 b_2), ## where ##n_1, n_2 \in \mathbb{Z}.## That could give a lattice consisting of stacked quadrilaterals instead of squares.

Likes TheoEndre
Ray Vickson said:
This works, but it is not the only possible example. Another example would be to choose "vectors" ##u_1 = (a_1,b_1)## and ##u_2 = (a_2, b_2)## for some real ##a_i, b_i##. Then a "lattice"built using ##u_1## and ##u_2## would work as well. This would be the set of point of the form ##n_1 u_1 +n_2 u_2 =(n_1 a_1 + n_2 a_2, n_1 b_1 + n_2 b_2), ## where ##n_1, n_2 \in \mathbb{Z}.## That could give a lattice consisting of stacked quadrilaterals instead of squares.
This is also one example, but far from the only possibility. The simplest construction being the one described in #5.

Likes TheoEndre

What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that follows the same set of rules and operations as the original vector space. This means that a subspace must be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and must contain the zero vector.

What is an example of a non-subspace?

An example of a non-subspace would be a curved line or a circle in a 2-dimensional plane. This does not follow the rules of a vector space, as the addition of two points on a curved line may not result in another point on the same line.

Why is a non-subspace not considered a vector space?

A non-subspace does not follow the rules and operations of a vector space, which makes it inconsistent with the definition of a vector space. This means that it cannot have all of the properties that a vector space has, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

How can you determine if a set is a subspace or not?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you can check if it follows the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. If any of these properties are not satisfied, then the set is not a subspace.

What is the importance of identifying a subspace?

Identifying a subspace is important in linear algebra, as it helps to understand the structure and properties of vector spaces. It also allows for the use of mathematical tools and techniques specific to vector spaces, such as linear transformations and eigenvalues.