Linear Algebra subspace troubles

In summary: This proves that Uk+1 must also be the lowest dimensional subspace, and so on until Uk is the lowest dimensional subspace.In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework problem, but is having trouble understanding how to do so. They say that if U_i is not equal to U_{i+1}, then U_{i+1} must have lower dimension than U_i. They then say that the proof would go as follows: 1) Assume U_i \neq U_{i+1}. 2) Do a proof by contradiction and show that U_i must equal U_{i+1} because U_i is the lowest dimensional subspace. 3) This
Servarus

Homework Statement

Let V be a finite dimensional subspace. Let V[tex]\supseteq[/tex]U1[tex]\supseteq[/tex]U2[tex]\supseteq[/tex]...[tex]\supseteq[/tex]Uk. Show that there exists k such that Uk=Uk+1=...=Un=...

Homework Equations

We were also told to assume none of the subspaces are zero dimensional, and to think about how the dimensions can change throughout.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that all the Ui's are closed under vector addition, but I really don't know what to do with the information. I really don't know where to start. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I believe I figured it out after a couple hours.
First I must assume that Uk is not zero dimensional. Then I say that another subspace must be zero dimensional since V is finite dimensional. Then prove that Uk is that subspace.

Let me know if I am doing this correctly. Thanks in advance.

Servarus said:
Ok, I believe I figured it out after a couple hours.
First I must assume that Uk is not zero dimensional. Then I say that another subspace must be zero dimensional since V is finite dimensional. Then prove that Uk is that subspace.

Let me know if I am doing this correctly. Thanks in advance.
Do you realize you just said "assume Ui is not zero dimensional" and then said "prove that Uk is that (zero dimensional) subspace"? So you are going to prove something you are assuming is false!

In any case, you said in your first post that "We were also told to assume none of the subspaces are zero dimensional" so why are you focusing on zero dimensional subspaces?

It is NOT necessary, and you were told to assume it didn't happen, that NONE of the given subspaces is 0 dimensional

For example, suppose V= R3, U1= {(x, y, 0)}, U2= {(x, 0, 0)} and, if k> 1, Uk= {(x, 0, 0)}. There are no zero dimensional subspaces in that sequence.

What you can do, since the dimensions of all subspaces must be positive, is let "k" be the smallest dimension of any of the subspaces. Any set of positive integers contains a smallest integer.

HallsofIvy said:
What you can do, since the dimensions of all subspaces must be positive, is let "k" be the smallest dimension of any of the subspaces. Any set of positive integers contains a smallest integer.
Oh wow, I'm extremely sorry. Been up for over 24 hours doing homework and obviously not thinking correctly.

Now I realized that I do need to make k the smallest dimension of any of the subspaces, and then be able to prove that k=k+1=k+2=...=n=... Also, I'm thinking I would show this by showing that the span{Uk}=span{Uk+1}=... But I'm a little stumped on how I would go about doing this.

If [itex]U_i[itex] is NOT equal to [itex]U_{i+1}[/itex], then, since [itex]U_{i+1}\subset U_i[/itex], [itex]U_{i+1}[/itex] must has lower dimension than [itex]U_i[/itex]. What is the smallest possible reduction in dimension? What is the maximum number of times that can happen?

HallsofIvy said:
If [itex]U_i[/itex] is NOT equal to [itex]U_{i+1}[/itex], then, since [itex]U_{i+1}\subset U_i[/itex], [itex]U_{i+1}[/itex] must has lower dimension than [itex]U_i[/itex]. What is the smallest possible reduction in dimension? What is the maximum number of times that can happen?
So the proof would basically go as follows:
1) Assume [itex]U_i[/itex] [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]U_{i+1}[/itex].
2) Then do a proof by contradiction and show that [itex]U_i[/itex] must equal [itex]U_{i+1}[/itex] because [itex]U_i[/itex] is the lowest dimensional subspace.

Related to Linear Algebra subspace troubles

1. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you must check if it contains the zero vector, if it is closed under addition, and if it is closed under scalar multiplication. If all three conditions are satisfied, then the set is a subspace.

3. Can a subspace have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, a subspace can have an infinite number of elements. The number of elements in a subspace is determined by the dimension of the vector space it is a subset of.

4. How do you find a basis for a subspace?

To find a basis for a subspace, you can use the row reduction method to find the pivot columns of the corresponding matrix. The vectors corresponding to the pivot columns will form a basis for the subspace.

5. What is the difference between a subspace and a span?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies certain conditions, while a span is the set of all possible linear combinations of a set of vectors. In other words, a subspace is a subset of a vector space, while a span is a set of vectors within a vector space.